Quantcast

Hand Surgery...options?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm having carpal tunnel surgery soon. Anyone else ever had this? (I've talked to people and doctors who have...unfortunately no one I talked to rides. I'm wondering how long it's going to be before I can ride on the road again.)

I was thinking a trainer and some clip on aero bars might let me keep some shred of fitness...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Never mind...I just tried my road pedals on my wife's recumbant exercise bike, and the threads are the same size, so that's going to be the best solution, I think.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
If you haven't tried Active Release Therapy yet, I'd check that out before getting your transverse carpal ligament severed. The surgery has a lousy success rate. Make sure you get a certified ART therapist if you do decide to try it; a lot of practitioners claim to do it and have no clue. Most ART practitioners are physical therapists or chiropractors. I used to have good success rates with ART on carpal tunnel syndrome (median nerve compression syndrome really) when I was a practicing physio.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
they released mine during my arm surgery when i broke it and that was the least of my worries. pm my sis, i think she may have had it done. it shouldnt take long to get back on though becuase nothing has to heal back other than the skin.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I've been through hand therapy, trigger point massage, yoga and splints. I haven't lost grip strength yet, but my nerve conduction is slowing down...so I don't have many options. I'm a bit more advanced than just a bit of numbness, unfortunately. I'm cool with the fact that I'm having it done, I don't feel rushed into it or anything like that.

My dad had the surgery last year, and couldn't put weight on his palm for a couple of months. I'm hoping that mine heals a bit faster than that...

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
lol id say when they (if they) put your hand in a cast, get them to cast it in to fit around your bars and get some velco to keep your hand in place on the bars thats what i would be doing

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Silver said:
I've been through hand therapy, trigger point massage, yoga and splints. I haven't lost grip strength yet, but my nerve conduction is slowing down...so I don't have many options. I'm a bit more advanced than just a bit of numbness, unfortunately. I'm cool with the fact that I'm having it done, I don't feel rushed into it or anything like that.

My dad had the surgery last year, and couldn't put weight on his palm for a couple of months. I'm hoping that mine heals a bit faster than that...
Acupuncture? I think using it to stop smoking is just some marketing guys' joke, but it has documented effects on pain and pressure relief/release.

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
Well I hope that with witch ever method that you choose you heal quickly and fully and you never have to think about it ever again.