Quantcast

Handlebar 101

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i think that would be a carbon bar or the always popular protapers.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by GravityFreakTJ
Which handlebar transfers the least vibration to your hands.I want a strong set but the least vibration.:help: By the way i'm runnin Hellbents now.Thanks
Nothing does a better job than a carbon fiber bar, but I don't trust them for DH.

Scandium would be the next best. I'm really like mine.

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
golfer? hahahah nope

I dont trust a cf bar. Ive broken 2 of them. I dont like the fact that they just splinter off. with another alloy ive bent them at least giving me a little warning

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
Originally posted by MikeD
Obviously, you're not a golfer...

-The Dude
CF golf clubs and hockey sticks are built an entierly diferentl way than bike bars..... they are designed to flex alot, carbon bars are not. also, go wack the shaft of your golf club on a rock and then continue golfing with it, see how long it lasts.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Go watch "The Big Lewboski." We're actually talking about bowling balls. I didn't mean to imply that because it's used in golf shafts it'd make a good handlebar, but I realize that's how it looks. Sorry.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
umm...don't believe the hype...carbon bars work great for dh and are the best at dampening vibrations.....a side from getting a better fork...D

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I had an easton monkeylite DH on my 222 (http://www.raceshoot.com/222/images/stoked_bars.jpg).

A cracking (no pun intended...) bar, but at 225g not a huge amount lighter than a 250g EA70/ProTaper.

Was fine for several months, then I crashed into a tree on a practice run. All of the force from me doing about 25mph was stopped instantly as I hit the tree with the nut connecting the hose to my M4 brake lever. I collected my thoughts and carried on. 50m later half the handlebar came off in my hand as I was going around a corner, thank god I wasn't doing a drop or something.

This isn't down to me doing my levers up too tight and scoring the carbon - the break occurred 8mm inboard of the brake lever clamp.

Nice bar, very light, and they do half-price crash replacement. Also damps vibrations well. But not for me anymore.

The biggest problem was always worrying about things rubbing against the bars on uplifts etc.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
LP Composites makes some pretty heft DH carbon bars. They feel like they are more heavy duty than the Easton bars. You might want to give them a try.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
if you're serious about dampening vibrations, I vote for a new stem. That magnesium stem from easton (the bronze colored one) (can't think of the name), is supposed to be excellent at damping vibrations, but hard on your wallet. I don't like the idea of composites, for all the reasons listed above. They can be great, but if you can't afford to replace your bars every year then I would stick with something else, like protapers (i like).

MG60DH is the name of it, just looked it up at go-ride. 145$ though. You could always try thicker grips, too. Handlebars are a good place NOT to f.ck around....

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by Sandwich
if you're serious about dampening vibrations, I vote for a new stem. That magnesium stem from easton (the bronze colored one) (can't think of the name), is supposed to be excellent at damping vibrations, but hard on your wallet. I don't like the idea of composites, for all the reasons listed above. They can be great, but if you can't afford to replace your bars every year then I would stick with something else, like protapers (i like).

MG60DH is the name of it, just looked it up at go-ride. 145$ though. You could always try thicker grips, too. Handlebars are a good place NOT to f.ck around....
Noooooooooo

I had that stem last year, it was THE flexiest thing I've EVER put on my DH bike - I *hated* it. There's also a lot of horror stories of the 4 front bolts all stripping simultaneously when you land a jump etc since they're tiny M5s.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Sandwich

Dude, those bronze colored ones were defective. I had to send mine in for warranty replacement. That Dow coating Easton used was the problem. My stem started pitting, around the bolt holes, right before my very eyes. Damn thing started to look like a bad piece of swiss cheese.

Anyway, stay away from anybody selling the bronze ones... you want the black one. But I thought (IIRC) Easton discontinued making that stem??

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
nobody sells the bronze ones, they are all black now...but it looks like a couple places do still sell them...I had no idea about QC being crappy...

if that's the case, I would stick with a set of thinwalled aluminum bars...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
magnesium is corrodes, it would be excellent for airplanes if it didn't corrode so much. Several parts of different aircraft were originally made from magnesium, and later special service directives went out by the FAA madating replacement because some of them failed from corrosion.

I use a carbon bar on one bike, and an easton aluminum bar on the other. I must say that I don't notice a whole lot of difference, I would NOT say that the aluminum bar is more "harsh", it's a function of what it's attached to, how it is attached, and how well the fork works. The only reason I use the carbon bar on the one bike is because it is pretty light for what it is. Carbon may dampen extremely small vibrations, but carbon fiber is pretty notorious and famous for transmitting energy and impacts a LOT better than most other materials. It's so stiff when made correctly that you have to reinforce other things to make up for the fact that it transmits so much load. Lancair has had to do this with their aircraft, as the carbon-fiber structures transmit so much force that it was necessary to design 26G seats instead of normal seats designed for much less.

Perhaps if I wasn't using an XC stem on my XCish bike I'd notice my carbon bar was harsher than it is, becuase I am sure there is some flex going on with the 100mm ritchey stem, BUT I do not feel that my aluminum riser bar is any "harsher", and it's direct-connected" to the fork crown.

I'm sure there is a lot of placebo effect going on here, I'll say that the carbon bars might do something for the smallets of vibrations, but a lot of these kinds of things are blown away out of proportion, like switching a regular seatpost for a carbon fiber (because it's under compression in this use, it's simply not possible that it's going to absorb anything), etc...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Jm_
magnesium ...etc...
Yeah, seriously, they're just handlebars. For real vibration damping, ride a velodrome...

Or maybe look at some Oury grips??

MD