Quantcast

Handlebars and stem

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
OK I am trying to understand something,
1, will a shorter stem will allow me to do catwalks easier, and what else will it do, I am using a 90mm stem right now.
2, what will haveing a 2-2.5" rise in my handle bars do for me.
My riding stuyle is mostly trails but I am really trying to learn more urban stuff, starting with catwalks and hops.
any advice on the on this would be great
THANKS

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
a shorter stem makes your steering quicker, and more intuitive. A higher stem will give you a more upright stance on the bike. I'd have to know what the rest of your setup is like to say anything more specific than that.

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
Well I currienty am running a 90mm stem and 1.5 rise handle bars, but I figure if I can learn with this I can learn with anything. thanks for the reply

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the stem lenght depends on your size for me a 40-50mm stem is too short(i'm 6'5"). on my bike i use a 70mm stem and my bike has a 24" top tube so it makes for a long bike. as for the rise on the handle bar that is personal preferance. i use a 1.5" rise.

bike setup
banshee morphine with a Z150, 26" on the front and a 24 on the rear

riding syle
urban,fr,dh,park...

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
I I know I hear that alot about it mostly being personal preferance and what youve become use to, but thanks for the help, I think I will go shorter stem 50mm is what Im looking at. PEACE