Quantcast

Hanebrink snow bike

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
first (and maybe the only..) Hanebrink electric bike in the UK

we spent 4 hours putting this bad boy together...damn its heavy but actually easy to pedal and goes like stink once you stop pedalling and twist that throttle!

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
we built this for a customer here in London, England who privately imported this from the USA

no idea if its currently made, or old stock? but there was a recent email from Hanebrink people and a handwritten note from Dan Hanebrink in the packaging

it arrived in a huge wooden packing case and needed assembley (quite alot of work, as its quite poorly made in terms of tolerances, razor sharp edges on the rear machined battery rack, terrible chainline, play in front wheel, no valve cores in tubes, used saddle (!!) and cheapo fittings, stripped bolts on main frame mountings, etc.)

the customer paid GBP £6,000 for the bike, GBP £1,500 for import tax and equally high amount for shipping

he's also got to find the right electronics (voltage rectifier?) to convert the battery chargers from 110v to 240v

kanebrink

Chimp
Nov 25, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for assembling our clients bicycle at your shop. We have many new clients all over the UK and if together we can streamline the process to make the final assembly of BRINKs as smooth as possible, we'd like to be able to refer our customers directly to you. While can understand some of the frustrations expressed in your posting, we'd appreciate the chance to clear up some misunderstandings.

Of course the same day that I see this posting, I also get an email from our client ...

"I have finally got to ride the bike. i am so stoked. all is going well so far with it. it's good to make it home and finally get to play with it. my bro got someone to put the bike together. don't know if you heard from them."

Before addressing the "complaints" from your shop, I will share the experience of Dan Hanebrink (developing this bike since 1993) and myself (partnering with Dan 3 years ago with the E.A.T) - Almost everyone, everywhere you go will love this bike no matter where you go, unless you go to a bike shop or a bicycle race, they are liable to have a neutral or possibly even a negative view.

Dan and I are both competitive cyclists in various disciplines, so of course we would love to have "validation" in a industry in which we are active though, we realize that this is the current and "inevitable" reality. Through winning races, sponsoring events, and in participating in organizations in such as IMBA we have already won over many "doubters" and we plan to continue to do so through our commitment to excellence.

Issue: It arrived in a huge wooden packing case and needed assembly.
Answer: Yes, it comes securely fitted and packed in a wooden case and requires minor assembly. The front wheel must be put on the bike, the handlebars are intact though must be screwed on, the seat is off and the pedals are off. Batteries are shipped separately.

Issue: "Quite alot of work, poorly made in terms of tolerances, razor sharp edges on the rear machined battery rack, terrible chain line."
Answer: That BRINK was a 3 battery bike w a specially designed mid frame mount for the 3rd battery. "Tolerances and sharp edges" ... is something that a shop mechanic might complain about because while yes the HANEBRINK looks and rides like a bicycle, it is a utility tool unlike any bicycle that has been ever made. The HANEBRINK is very different in ability and appearance from the big name asian imported sexy, smooth, high end road and mountain bikes that shops are used to assembling. Our machining has a lifetime warranty.
Our dual chain is an innovation that we have developed over many years and has unprecedented benefits. A regular chainline does not apply, as no bike has tires the size of the BRINK.

Issue: "Play in front wheel, no valve cores in tubes, ..."
Answer: There is only play in the front wheel if it is not assembled correctly, if you tighten the bolt on one side it the wheel is secure throughout. Vale cores are taken out of tubes during crating (and taped to the tire) so that the tires can not explore exposed to the pressures of flight.

Thank you for understanding and if you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact HANEBRINK directly.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This all makes sense except the sharp metal edges. You don't see that in Moto, bikes, or pretty much any consumer ready manufacturing discipline. Spend an hour with the edge grinder to buff any edges.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
The segway of mountain bikes. Just what the sport needs, fat, uninformed housewifes out scooting around with their guides on the trails.

Finally a way to enjoy nature without any of the horrible inconviences of walking.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
What sort of "utility" do these offer over a bike? Other than the electric motor, I don't get it..

"Whether your interest is in off-road travel, trail riding,
bike commuting with electric on-demand, or in utilizing
low-gear towing and hauling, we believe you will love the
dynamic and comfortable riding experience of a HANEBRINK."

What the hell would you be towing/hauling on that?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Vale cores are taken out of tubes during crating (and taped to the tire) so that the tires can not explore exposed to the pressures of flight.
Why do people think this is still an issue? You can't even get -15Psi in a complete vacuum so why do people insist on deflating tyres on planes?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Why do people think this is still an issue? You can't even get -15Psi in a complete vacuum so why do people insist on deflating tyres on planes?
I was going to post the same thing. The most pressure difference you'll ever see is 15psi. If your tyre is 20psi on the ground, the highest it will ever go (even in a complete vacuum) is 35psi, less than that in an unpressurised cargo hold. By all means deflate if even 35psi is too much, but unless FIFTEEN psi is too much, there's definitely no reason to remove valve cores etc.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
What sort of "utility" do these offer over a bike? Other than the electric motor, I don't get it..

"Whether your interest is in off-road travel, trail riding,
bike commuting with electric on-demand, or in utilizing
low-gear towing and hauling, we believe you will love the
dynamic and comfortable riding experience of a HANEBRINK."

What the hell would you be towing/hauling on that?
my guess is a bucket of fries and your two fat beetus riddled children.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the response up above is exactly why Hanebrink no longer exists in the downhill market.

"What do you mean our forks are flexy and break easily? That must be somebody elses fault, let's keep making them exactly the same we ever have with no changes for 10 years."