Quantcast

Happy Camp, Moorpark, CA: March 18’th 2006

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
This area is more for the equestrian riders, perhaps some hiking.
The trail basically is a 10-mile loop, down in the narrow canyon it is very beautiful with lots of scenic oak trees, wildlife all around and lots of shade areas.
Above the canon to the South is the fireroad, which overlooks Moorpark and Simi Valley, with great ocean views in the Western distance and high mountains above Fillmore and Santa Paula to the North.
In years past you could ride most of the winter, because the rain would keep the canyon sand down and often you could ride in the rider bed for quite a distance.
But alas, because of the fires and the major rain from last year the canyon was mostly destroyed, then last month they bulldozed all the soft sand from bank to bank.
At this time, the canyon is very sandy and if you were to attempt riding up the canyon you would walk 4.5 of the 5 miles. Riding down you only have to walk maybe 1 or 1.5 miles. Riding up the Fireroad is actually enjoyable, gaining maybe 1500 feet in 3 miles.
Here’s my few pictures and report of the ride;

Starting out after the golf course, I rode on the riverbed, it was nice and packed and I rode for about 1 mile before climbing:

Climbing the fireroad I could see a lot of dozer work, a few soft spots but all ride able, besides made a bit more of a challenge since the climb is not difficult anyways.

Lots of hawks above, lots of views, it’s beautiful on top;

Although the fireroad continues East, I decided to do pause at the top and start downs the singletrack to do “the loop” ;

Spooked two coyotes that scampered straight up a canyon wall, pretty neat they way they were able to climb like Billy goats.

This short steep singletrack has that fossilized white powder that can be sketchy, plus the rains from last year caused some huge ruts that you would not want to fall in/down;

Reaching the canyon I turned East and rode another mile up to canyon just to explore;

Spooked more wildlife as an owl flew out of a tree just about my head, spooked me also.

Turning around and starting back down the canyon, the river bed was starting to get a little sandy so I was able to ride a lot of the old access road that turned into singletrack for a while;

As the canyon got narrower, the old access road was washed out and soon I had to ride in the riverbed, after another mile it soon got softer and I had to walk here & there;

Then things changed dramatically, the canyon narrowed ever more I could see the tractor tread marks all in the riverbed, making riding impossible, I walked for a while eventually getting to a point where the tractor(s) cut into the hill carving out the old road on dirt (At last);

Reaching the end I had walked more than ever on this trail, but the beauty and solitude of not seeing anyone else made the ride worth wile.