Quantcast

Hard tail + 8 inch fork = idiot.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
So I just want to ask a question. What is the use of riding a hardtail with a 2004 Shiver DC or a 888? I just don't get it and I saw two people riding together on the trails with those setups today. Why put a $1100 fork made for DH plushness on a hardtail? Is it like a cool factor or something?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Earthmover

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Terra Forma
One of those guys might have been my buddy! He's got the 7" 888 on his .243. The Psylo that was on there broke (suprise), and the 888 wasn't being used, so there you go. I felt a little negative about it first, but it actually rides pretty good. Anyhow, that's how a big fork ends up on a hardtail.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by Earthmover
One of those guys might have been my buddy! He's got the 7" 888 on his .243. The Psylo that was on there broke (suprise), and the 888 wasn't being used, so there you go. I felt a little negative about it first, but it actually rides pretty good. Anyhow, that's how a big fork ends up on a hardtail.
Hey, that actually makes sense! I guess the world isn't as out of alignment as I thought. But what's the deal with his buddy with the Morphine/Shiver DC? That's just weird.

edinSvenson2

Chimp
Feb 10, 2004
big fork on the hardtail provides a little margin to screw up if you misjudge the landing on larger drops and stepdowns and such

8" is a bit much, but, just depends on how big you're going.

once again i find myself wondering why you guys seem to care what other people are riding?

erin

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
its plain and simple there just fun. i rode my rampage with my super t on it this weekend and it was awsome it just makes you push your limits, they carry speed and air so well that the big drop hardtails beg for the big DC.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I don't see the problem as long as the guy with the 8" fork on a hardtail is having a good time :D I had a monster on my jack flash for a couple weeks cause my RM7 was in pieces and my Z1 was in the mail. It actually rode really well but it was a little heavy. I bet a super t would be a lot of fun on it though.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
why are they making single crown 7" and 6" forks?
why do you need any plush?

it's all about what YOU like to ride...if people want to ride a big fork on a hardtail then le them. I have a z150 on my evil and thats all i think i need....but i bet my 888 would feel RAD and i might even try it one day!

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I see nothing wrong with it. I'd ride a hardtail with a big fork. One of my best friends rides a Kona HT with a 7" fork and just loves it. He takes big jumps and drops on it and really enjoys the bike. So much so, he sold his stinky and only rides the HT now.

I sold my Bullit and just ride a hardtail. It is more fun for the type of riding I do.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Originally posted by smedford
I see nothing wrong with it. I'd ride a hardtail with a big fork. One of my friends rides a Kona HT with a 7" fork and just loves it. He takes big jumps and drops on it and really enjoys the bike. So much so, he sold his stinky and only rides the HT now.

I sold my Bullit and just ride a hardtail. It is more fun for the type of riding I do.
You guys are hardcore, I wish I was that good on my hardtail.... soon... Actually, I've only ridden it for the last week (bent the front wheel on my stinky). I am loving my hardtail, though it only has a DJ3. I am upgrading just about every part that really needs it. Geting new brakes soon, then it will be trail worthy!:cool:
I'm not gonna sell my Stinky though, I still like it.

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
I see no problems with riding a dual crown on a hardtail. I'd actually prefer it if it were my only bike- not that great in the skate parks, but awesome in the rough and on the big hits. I had a .243 with a 2003 marz... it wasnt even a seven inch fork (170mm doesnt = 25.4mm x 7in) and it was so much better than the spindly DJ1 I had. Dont under estimate this setup.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Originally posted by ArEm7
Hey, that actually makes sense! I guess the world isn't as out of alignment as I thought. But what's the deal with his buddy with the Morphine/Shiver DC? That's just weird.
Just like midgets and donkeys, dont knock it till you try it......KIDDING....

The SERIOUS thing i have to say.......I ran a shiver DC on my morphine for a few weeks. It was the funnest way i ever had the bike built. If one bike can pull it off its the morphine, but there are others also that ive seen styling the DC fork. Sure alot of people do the big fork on the hardtail for the look at me factor, but before you go slamming it, you should try it out. Then if you really dont like it SLAM away. Thats what the internet is for anyways.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Originally posted by oly
Just like midgets and donkeys, dont knock it till you try it......KIDDING....

If one bike can pull it off its the morphine,
your not kidding you sicko

and

The Evil pulls it off damn good too.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
The thing I see wrong with it is if you are going fast down a trail, sure the fork will soak up all the bigger hits, but if you let your back hit a weird bump the right way you can get thrown. It might make you feel that you can hit trails faster, but that really just depends on how good you are on a hardtail.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
8" dual crown on a hard tail?
That's just stupid!

6" dual crown on a singlespeed hard tail with 8" rotors and hook worms,
That's the way to do it

Earthmover

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Terra Forma
Originally posted by ArEm7
Well...HE just sheared the ass end off his RM7 at Beacon...leaving him with a Shiver DC and the Morphine which was already on order. I guess it'll stay that way until he gets the Devinci he's been yapping about. I love my FS rig too much to go that route right now, though. Can't afford two 888's under this roof!

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
These are actually my favorite type of threads. The ones where people rank on on other people's stuff.

Could someone please explain to me why anyone actually gives a $hit what someone else rides? Seriously. Who cares?!

Ranking on other people's bikes =

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Originally posted by brock
These are actually my favorite type of threads. The ones where people rank on on other people's stuff.

Could someone please explain to me why anyone actually gives a $hit what someone else rides? Seriously. Who cares?!

Ranking on other people's bikes =
Well you know, some people will SAY ANYTHING !

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
well, I had a 6" dual crown on my hardtail for a long time, then i traded it for a z1. I like the quality of the z1 more than the bombshell betty that was on there, but the main reason for a dual crown for me is just an added safety feature. i like not having to worry about the crown breaking and having my face go into the ground. I think 8" on a hardtail is a bit much. i saw a picture on pinkbike of a guy who was trying to sell his super monster, and i think it was on a balfa hardtail. ok, that's just stupid. the head angle must have been in the 40's
I think 6" on a hardtail is perfect. 7 would be nice(i'm trying to get another dual crown preferably a super t if anyone wants to trade) and 5" is good for nice quick handling. I figure if you can't do it on a hardtail, why do it?
so in other words. a dual crown on a beefy hardail is just fine. they will take more abuse than a single crown, and most of the time components take more of a beating when on a hardtail. so they just kinda go together.

Attachments

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
Any hard tail is a good bike plus travel is very nice and in some ways it can be very good with more of it you just have to get used to it.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
The bike I posted is my big hit urban bike. Perfect for stair gaps and manuals. I'm not much into the BMX style tech riding with the grinds and spins etc. It's great for silently killing big stuff. An assasin? No wait, my bikes all black it's the NINJA .
LOL

If your in Portland let's hook up and ride.

Tim Parker
503 307-3586

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I got into a bit of an argument with one of the guys at the shop today who I respect as very knowledgeable in our sport and especially with forks. Anyway, he very seriously feels that 4" is the max you should go on a hardtail because of the amount that longer travel single crowns rake out the bike. He says it's places too much stress on the crown of the fork and the headtube. Apparently less than 70 degrees is too hard on single crown forks? I dunno, personally I think that if they're going to make a fork such as the z150 and make that burly of a crown for it then what were they thinking we'd do with it? And also Planet X must have been planning on stupid things being done to my jack flash frame with large forks because the main triangle is made out of easton RAD tubing and the weld area is massive with the tall headtube. I dunno who knows...I'll just ride it till it breaks.

Speculate...

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Originally posted by Zaskar Rider
I got into a bit of an argument with one of the guys at the shop today who I respect as very knowledgeable in our sport and especially with forks. Anyway, he very seriously feels that 4" is the max you should go on a hardtail because of the amount that longer travel single crowns rake out the bike. He says it's places too much stress on the crown of the fork and the headtube. Apparently less than 70 degrees is too hard on single crown forks? I dunno, personally I think that if they're going to make a fork such as the z150 and make that burly of a crown for it then what were they thinking we'd do with it? And also Planet X must have been planning on stupid things being done to my jack flash frame with large forks because the main triangle is made out of easton RAD tubing and the weld area is massive with the tall headtube. I dunno who knows...I'll just ride it till it breaks.

Speculate...
Here's something to ponder.
If a hardtail is sitting there without a rider on it the front is jacked up.
Set up correctly with rider on board the front should sag about 2" give or take.
Now how jacked up is the front?
As far as having the front slacker than 70 degrees being hard on the bike or fork? Consider that impacts or hard landings will compress the fork, which steepens the front end. I do not believe stress on the front end would be reached until the front bottoms out. At this point it should not matter if it were an 8" or 3" fork, once it's bottomed they should be similiar hights.

Does this make any sense or am I just too tired and should go to sleep?

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
Originally posted by TWISTED
Here's something to ponder.
If a hardtail is sitting there without a rider on it the front is jacked up.
Set up correctly with rider on board the front should sag about 2" give or take.
Now how jacked up is the front?
As far as having the front slacker than 70 degrees being hard on the bike or fork? Consider that impacts or hard landings will compress the fork, which steepens the front end. I do not believe stress on the front end would be reached until the front bottoms out. At this point it should not matter if it were an 8" or 3" fork, once it's bottomed they should be similiar hights.

I think you're onto something there. The only problem I can really see is if you run head on into something like a large flat rock or brick wall with the fork fully extended it has more leverage on itself and the frame than a shorter fork...but then again if you're running into walls you probably should slow down anyway

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Originally posted by Zaskar Rider
And also Planet X must have been planning on stupid things being done to my jack flash frame with large forks because the main triangle is made out of easton RAD tubing and the weld area is massive with the tall headtube.
My PX RAD had the thickest headtube I've ever seen! My Cheeta looks like a sheet of paper in comparison.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by TWISTED
you forget that forces are transmitted at all points in the travel, not just at bottom out. (if these forces were only present at bottom out you'd never be at any position in the travel other than the bottom of it as they are what holds the front end up.) also, a long fork will not just exert the force on a longer lever arm (thus greater torque) but will also exert its forces with a greater component that is perpendicular to the head tube since the head angle is less on average. er, that's confusing: the force from the wheel is straight up, assuming you're not running into a wall. the smaller the head angle, the greater the component of this force that is perpendicular to the head tube.

so basically your theory doesn't hold water unless you assume that 7" forks sag to a level that is equal to that of a sagged-out 4" (or whatever is "normal").

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Yeah, some hardtails look pimp with duallies, it's just opinions though

well.... some hardtails look pimp... this one on the other hand...
well you can have your own opinion about a super monster on a hardtail...

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Originally posted by iridebikes
well.... some hardtails look pimp... this one on the other hand...
well you can have your own opinion about a super monster on a hardtail...
It's not a bicycle baby, it's a "chopper".

"Pulp Fiction" (sort of)

He needs taller bars, LOL.

Yes, it is a Letoy III...
Thank you I like it too.
but I have since removed the Monster in favour of a single crown so I can return to my BMX roots with tailwhips, barspins and crossups...
Here is it's current configuration.....
Respect the BMX Ti sprocket and chain.... soooooo bad.:cool:

Attachments

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Looks real nice.
I worked with a guy who used to work for 24, he had a le Toy also. They ride real nice, quick and agile. Yours looks nicer than his.

Hey look, I'm not a chimp anymore!

Now I'm a real "MONKEY"

nails

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
i run a super T on my morphine and it is awesome. you should experience the ride before you talk sh@t about it. you can do "just about" everything on a hardtail as on your fully. the only difference, for me anyway, is you have to be more precise on the landing on the bigger stuff.

keep on riding!!!