Quantcast

Hardtails and you

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
This is incoming.

Gonna move all parts and 27.5 wheels from my current 26 frame to this niner, should be fun! :D
(and an XPusion Vengeance @ 150mm)

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Say i wanted to build a HT over the course of this year for Approx. $2k, with 1k allocated to the fork. That leaves $1k to fiddle around with for frame and all. I have a few hand me down parts from upgrading my squishy, but not many. Main things I'm looking for is 20mm TA, 31.6 seat tube, 650b, 150mm to 160mm travel. What frame to yall recommend? Not a weight weenie, so carbon is alright here and there but not necessary anywhere.
@KenW449 I bought a Ragley Blue pig frame from CRC just before Christmas. Depending on color, it was either $377 or $420. Shipping to the US was $12 or $15.

It's meant to have a 140-160mm fork, comes w/12x142mm TA, 44mm head tube, 31.6mm seat tube, can run up to a 2.6 or 2.8" tire and up to 180mm disc on the back.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Say i wanted to build a HT over the course of this year for Approx. $2k, with 1k allocated to the fork. That leaves $1k to fiddle around with for frame and all. I have a few hand me down parts from upgrading my squishy, but not many. Main things I'm looking for is 20mm TA, 31.6 seat tube, 650b, 150mm to 160mm travel. What frame to yall recommend? Not a weight weenie, so carbon is alright here and there but not necessary anywhere.
How about a slightly beat OnOne 456 Crabon 26" frame that works with 27.5 (at the cost of higher BB) and with up to 6" fork, for ~$100 shipped? :brows:

Lazoup

Chimp
Mar 24, 2015
Denver, CO
I'm a strong believer in Steel hardtails too. I had a few Chromag, and a Cotic.

None these days though. Riding a Megatrail, and a Gravel bike (steel too though). Next winter, I may be building something like a carbon Honzo or a Transition.
I"m so weak...

Building something new. Not gonna be steel or carbon

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
http://singletrackworld.com/2017/05/custom-steel-marino-frame-peru/
The website is not the best and the guy is a bit busy now that he is more known. Maybe @slimshady knows about him?
Yeah, they look great. Price is incredible too. Although You should read the reviews section on his Facebook page. No... wait... You can't, because he turned the reviews off, as 60% of them were ppl asking him where da f* are their frames that they ordered and paid for, many months before. :think:

EDIT: I am very sorry, I've mistaken Marino bikes with Majin cycles. Information above is about Majin Cycles from Chile.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Yeah, they look great. Price is incredible too. Although You should read the reviews section on his Facebook page. No... wait... You can't, because he turned the reviews off, as 60% of them were ppl asking him where da f* are their frames that they ordered and paid for, many months before. :think:
Interesting. My guess is he got big really fast and is experiencing some growing pains. I'm hoping he hires some good people and makes it through this to become Peruvian Chromag.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
My guess is he got big really fast and is experiencing some growing pains
That might be true, yes. Marino is still very popular here in Sweden and I didn't see anybody complaining yet which should be a good sign, specially considering that unhappy customers are usually quite loud ;)
There are rumours about Marino building some of Sick's bikes...
Then I am quite sure that answering all the questions about custom geometry must be very time consuming!

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Might buy one of those cheap Chinese carbon HTs. Not from Ebay, but ALIexpress or other such sites as they offer 2 year warranties.
Problems is,
1.) I can't find one with a 15mm TA. Anyone ride on a 12mm and is it good enough? Not gonna be using it on huge drops and massive air. just small jumps and drops.
2.) None seem to be say the recommended travel. If it does, its more XC. I'm looking for about 150m of travel.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Might buy one of those cheap Chinese carbon HTs. Not from Ebay, but ALIexpress or other such sites as they offer 2 year warranties.
Problems is,
1.) I can't find one with a 15mm TA. Anyone ride on a 12mm and is it good enough? Not gonna be using it on huge drops and massive air. just small jumps and drops.
2.) None seem to be say the recommended travel. If it does, its more XC. I'm looking for about 150m of travel.
15mm front or rear axle? 12mm is most common to be used for the rear wheel and 15mm on the fork. Even dh bikes run a 12mm rear axle. At least for this week.