Quantcast

Has Anyone Fractured or broke their tailbone(Pics BEWARE)?

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
Had a bad fall this weekend, looped out on a drop about 12-15 feet. Landed on my back wheel and then fell back on my @ss. Well anyways slid down kinda hard and I think may have landed on a rock. So my rear has been badly bruised and swollen for about 3-4 days now. Been taking pain killers to ease the pain, cant really sit in one position for a long time, and when I get home its super painful. Hard to sleep @ night have to keep switching positions.

So my question is has anyone experienced anything like this? If so how long did it take to heel froma badly bruised tailbone? The pic shows most of the damage but its R-rated so their is further bruising in otehr areas if you know what I mean.

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
I have been sitting on ice at night. I have a dr appt tomorrow. I assume nothing is broke or fractured cause I can still walk (limb around really). Just hoping it heals in a few weeks before I go boarding.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
Oh man...that is horrible. I hope you heal up quick. I always worry about that snowboarding...if it ever gets icy I call it a day and hit the bar.

El Jefe here on the board had some interesting bruising...maybe he'll tell you all about it...
If for some reason you ever come out east, don't bother bringing your board.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well they dont even do anything if you do have a broken coxix (sp?). there is no way to cast or anything and you would still be able to walk fine evn with it broken.

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
Well I am going to mt bachelor in 3 weeks to board..then was planning on stowe, vermont 2 weeks later. Hoping the snow storms help the ice situation in the east. Hope the Dr gives me good news tomorrow, hope the pain goes away soon.

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
one7one said:
So my question is has anyone experienced anything like this? If so how long did it take to heel froma badly bruised tailbone?
I never hurt my tailbone, but what you're seeing there is massive soft tissue damage anyway. I did that to myself racing bmx, in the area above my pelvis, basically next to my kidney. It was pretty disgusting looking, hurt insanely, and took a long time to heal, in fact I haven't been back to the track since it happened over a year ago. I got checked out by my doc just in case (and I never go to the docs for anything).

I was able to ride after about three weeks, but I've stuck to the (much easier to ride) mountain bike since then. I can't imagine boarding if your bruise is as bad as mine, but I wish you luck and hope your trips aren't jeopardized!

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
a related story, short PG-13 version.

Bought an XC bike 4-5 years ago, SPD pedals. never ridden clipp'd in before. Looped out two times in one weeks time, landing right on my arse. Very hard direct hits to the same a$$ cheek. Hurt like a MF. Left a short time later (5 days or so, cant remember) for a Scuba trip to Costa Rica. Realized my Arse was freekin BLACK from bruising after seeing the look on the face of a "local" chic i met in the hotel bar. Tried to explain "looped out while riding a wheelie on my bike" in her Spanish dialect. Our night was over.

get well soon.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
one7one said:
I assume nothing is broke or fractured cause I can still walk (limb around really).
Just so you know, if someone hasn't already pointed this out, being able to walk is not really an indication of whether or not a bone is broken, especially in the case of a tailbone, because it doesn't bear any weight. Good thing you're going to the doctor.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Yeah, I broke my ass once. I was dating this girl and she made me ride her horse. It was wet and that bad boy stepped in a hole and lunged forward then did the "hi-ho silver" up in the air deal and I went flying right onto a rock and broke ass I was. I had to carry around a pillow with me for 4 weeks. and the pain didn't go any for 8 months.

I saw another version of those Burton pants but this was just a butt plate made out of some kinda foam or plastic. They claim it doesn't shift around or anything. If I were you I would think about getting both.

EDIT: Found it

http://www.airgear.com/buttshield/index.php?org=wya

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
THat picture is pretty bad. I know you don't want to hear this, but fractured my tailbone and it took quite a while to heal. like... I could sit down uncomfortably in about a week, and it took months (6-8) for the pain to subside.

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
Went to Dr today, she looked at the bruise for 1 minute and told me to go to the ER. Went to the ER, got X-rays..fractured tailbone...and some pain killers. 4-6 weeks to heal...Just going to get a pair of those RED impact shorts to wear

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
one7one said:
Went to Dr today, she looked at the bruise for 1 minute and told me to go to the ER. Went to the ER, got X-rays..fractured tailbone...and some pain killers. 4-6 weeks to heal...Just going to get a pair of those RED impact shorts to wear

Prepare for double that amount of healing time if you go boarding.

And really you will feel it in one way or another for 8 months. It's really a sucky nagging injury.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Hawkeye said:
I saw another version of those Burton pants but this was just a butt plate made out of some kinda foam or plastic. They claim it doesn't shift around or anything. If I were you I would think about getting both.

EDIT: Found it

http://www.airgear.com/buttshield/index.php?org=wya
Ha ha! I bought one of those last year after taking a hard fall right on my tailbone. Nothing broken, but it hurt enough that I knew I didn't want to break anything. I bought a Buttshield and love it. Its dense foam and really absorbs the shock of landing on your butt. Only problem is that it makes you look like you have a big ol juicyfruit butt and your buddies will give you a hard time. Although if you wear baggy clothes to ride in, you can't tell its there. Plus, its great insulation for when you're sitting on the lift or on the side of run. No more frozen azz.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
pixelninja said:
Ha ha! I bought one of those last year after taking a hard fall right on my tailbone. Nothing broken, but it hurt enough that I knew I didn't want to break anything. I bought a Buttshield and love it. Its dense foam and really absorbs the shock of landing on your butt. Only problem is that it makes you look like you have a big ol juicyfruit butt and your buddies will give you a hard time. Although if you wear baggy clothes to ride in, you can't tell its there. Plus, its great insulation for when you're sitting on the lift or on the side of run. No more frozen azz.

They should make a Baby's got back version...you can wear it over your pants...show off that healthy butt!

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
pixelninja said:
I was going to get one just for that reason. I like sitting at the top of the run watching people for a little bit.

The other day I landing right on the rear and I swear I could feel my heart beat down there. It hurt so bad. But after a about 15 minutes the pain was gone and the ripping continued.