Quantcast

Has the Vino scandal ruined this year's tour for you?

Well?

• Yes, ruined, I'm done for the year

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • No, disappointed, but still going to watch and be just as excited

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • No, I knew it anyway and still love the tour

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • obligatory other

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters

engineerjoe

Chimp
Jun 20, 2007
colorado springs
I think you are looking at the wrong side of the plate. Riders/players/athletes, while they may do it for the money, do it for the glory also. If they stop doping they become normal and the fans get bored. Go back and watch hockey or football from pre 70's. Everyone is a step slower, quite a bit smaller and everything seems like slow motion (ok ok...the one or two players per league were AWESOME, but compare that to today where every team has a roster of superstars?). Could the fans of today watch that, I doubt it. The pressure is from both sides which is why all athletes dope.

Even if the players wanted to stop, they might as well retire because the fical fan will stop watching, money will dry up and etc.

****, imagine watching the home run stretch and only one player could get to 50...the average mean is 20 and the top players are topping 30 to 40?..."fans" can complain all they want about the doping problem, but they helped create the problem.

And to answer the question, I am a cynic and already expect it from pros. It doesn't ruin my tour in the least.
Without a reference to previous players/riders there is no context and the sport looses any credibility. Will Barry Bonds or Mark MacGuire ever admit to using steroids? No, but in 50 years they won't be the ones that people are being compared to either. The best players ever will still be Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, and Roger Maris.

Without any credibility the fans will (eventually) turn away. It's happening in baseball as we speak. And I hope it happens in every sport.

L

luelling

It happened in baseball when they had the salary strikes, same with hockey. Personally I was turned off by baseball the first time I tried to watch it :) Man is that sport boring

engineerjoe

Chimp
Jun 20, 2007
colorado springs
With record attendance, how can you say that?

Heck, we went to a game Monday night.
Yes, MLB is doing well compared to themselves in the last decade, they are not doing well compared to other sports
ESPN MLB attendance records for 2007 show that only 7/30 teams have attendance over 90% and 16/30 teams have less than 65% attendance. Lowest is tampa bay with 37.8%
ALL NFL teams have over 90% attendance
ALL NBA teams have over 70%, with 19/30 teams over 90%
NHL has 18/30 teams above 90% attendance

That is why I can say that the fans have begun to turn away from baseball

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Actually, you're right. I don't like most organized sports at all and none of the ones you mentioned even come close to my "Will stop on them while flipping channels on TV" list. As for doing something difficult...what ever happened to busting your ass instead of a vein and making an honest effort? How about all the guys who rode the Tour in the years before blood doping became the new black?
I'm not defending doping; it's cheating, pure and simple. It just seems to get so much attention in cycling and people ridicule bike racing, but nobody even notices if athletes in other sports get caught or break records while doping.

L

luelling

That's cuz hard working people get offended when fvcktard c0ckmunchers say they can't live on US$2million a year.
$2million isn't poverty level!!?? Damn, I thought that was what the strike was all about...making sure baseball players weren't living in the ghetto :)