Quantcast

having an issue with Chrome

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
My win 8 laptop did an update and now Chrome cannont connect to the internet, IE 10 can. IE sucks balls

I need some help getting chrome reconnected

also having wireless printer issues that were not there before.

my dsl is way to slow to download 8.1

thanks

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
IE6-8 were when IE was at its worst, but in recent years it's actually not so bad.

My continuing complaint with IE is that it remains just out of standards compliance enough that either it breaks some websites (especially very sophisticated websites like some of our corporate tools) because the developers completely disregarded it, or it is the only thing you can use for other websites (again, like our customer relationship management system at work) because the developers leveraged some of those out-of-compliance features.

I just wish there'd be more consistency across the browsers to the point where you could make a choice based strictly on browser features/security/whatever, and not dealing with compatibility problems.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
IE6-8 were when IE was at its worst, but in recent years it's actually not so bad.
IE6 was actually not that bad... when it was released in 2001. The problem was that it wasn't updated for 5 very influential years in internet-land. It was pretty non-compliant to standards (they did their own thing) and while everyone was either up to date or came up to date in that time, IE did nothing. It was a real turd by the time it was replaced in 2006 with another turd (ie7)... and so the story went until ie9 which again gets the glowing endorsement of not that bad.

This is part of where the hate for IE comes from - any developer/designer that had to build a site that worked on IE6 and the other browsers too found IE to be the biggest headache... a 5+ year headache because only about 2008 did the #s on usage of IE6 reach a level that it could be mostly ignored. Developers immediately had 10% more free time... that was quickly filled with a handful of mobile platforms to support.