Quantcast

Hawksnest 2010

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Keep your ears peeled for a new race class at the Bird in the near future. It's called "Legends". Details coming soon, and we are gonna need some help from you all in digging some people out of the woodwork for this!

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Here's a quick edit that includes some sections of "The Salamander Slide" that will be used as the Am/Intro race track for Race #2 on August 21-22. We're building up footage right now to put out an edit that showcases both new tracks.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
So here's the word regarding online pre-reg for the August 21-22 race at the Dirty Bird. If you'd like to save $5 on your registration fee then you can pre-register online (we'll be running the payment through paypal just like last race). All you need to do is send us an E-mail to dirtybirddhrace@gmail.com that includes: your name, age/date of birth, gender, address, emergency contact, sponsor, and racing category.

Once we've received your e-mail we'll send you the paypal info. By pre-registering online you can save yourself the trouble of filling out an entry form at the venue (we'll have your entry form filled out so all you have to do is sign a waiver and go ride). You can also have $5 extra to spend on some ice cold beverages at the HESS station down the mtn (6.29 for a 12 of PBR). If anyone has any questions about the racing categories you may refer to the events page on our website www.dirtybirddh.com

bikergerm

Chimp
Sep 24, 2009
Thanks dude. I will check those places out.

Is there some event going on up there on that weekend? All of the hotel rates are sky high. We stayed at Super 8 in Boone last year and it's like tiwce as much this time.

FloridaFish

Chimp
Apr 8, 2009

Is there some event going on up there on that weekend? All of the hotel rates are sky high. We stayed at Super 8 in Boone last year and it's like tiwce as much this time.
i think it's around "move in" time for Appalacian State (start of fall semester), ran into the same troubles last year trying to find a decent cheap place. priceline seemed to work pretty well if you didn't mind where exactly it put you, i ended up in boone both times i used it.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty

what rates did those places i mentioned quote you? I wanna compare it to what i paid for the first race there back and june

bikergerm

Chimp
Sep 24, 2009
Hidden Valley is $100/night. ( Thats where I am staying, they had 2 rooms left )
Smoketree was like $90/night but they didnt have anything available.

Thanks again for the suggestions on places to stay.

It's probably been posted on here already but what is the plan for the weekend? Practice Saturday/ race Sunday?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Yes, practice all day Saturday and race on Sunday. And yes, the race weekend is move-in weekend for App State freshmen so the hotels are going to be booked pretty solid. Plenty of camping spots in the area though, so just contact one of us for directions to a camping spot if you need it...

kiponga

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
So my friend has never really ridden mountain bikes but hes doing a project where he will spend a lot of time learning. He has to compete in a race for his product but he can't find any would one of the tracks for hawkoween be easy enough for such a beginner? I also want him to do this so I have an excuse to go...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So my friend has never really ridden mountain bikes but hes doing a project where he will spend a lot of time learning. He has to compete in a race for his product but he can't find any would one of the tracks for hawkoween be easy enough for such a beginner? I also want him to do this so I have an excuse to go...
Unless your friend is a circus performer or professional stunt-man, downhill racing is probably not going to be a good idea for someone who " has never really ridden mountain bikes ". A cross country race would be a much more sane choice.

kiponga

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
lol yeah i figure I just won't tell him that its hard and let him figure out once he's signed up. Figure he'll have fun even if the course kicks his ass.