Quantcast

Hawksnest ProDH track preview video

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
I think this is Will Obrien, and his flex noodle fork
That would be Ben Calhoun.

Thanks to the dirty Bird crew for putting on an awesome race, fun as always! The new pro track was awesome, and really crazy in the rain! looking forward to the next race! :thumb:

Last edited:

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Some shots courtesy of my girlfriend.

Notice how my orange clownsuit gives the illusion I'm hauling it through there, when I'm in fact crawling.

almost none of the shots I took of the pro track turned out...

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Good fun and good racing!

It sounds like most all pro racers weren't content with their race runs, with flaws and mistakes at least a couple times in the runs. I had a fairly solid time overall, as did Mueller, but he came to a complete stop in his run, and I hit the whole rock garden with my feet in the switch position. Not sure how I pulled that off?

Hopefully some good shots will pop up, and I'm sure we are all looking forward to the Hawk O ween race. Look forward to BIG booters and a potential tandem race! Say what?

Feb 13, 2005
NC
A big thanks to the DB crew...for it is the many that say they'll dig but the very few who actually do. And almost nobody who can throw down such a great race.

Racer Greg and Andy, please do a few runs with Connor next time. He spent the weekend riding with me. Beyond pumping up a tire (under optimal conditions), there is nothing I can teach the boy about riding a bike...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i don't have any individual speed trap results, it was getting too difficult to try and write down everyone's speed AND run the gun.

The winners:

Salamander Slide - Riddler @ 34mph
Anne Galyean/Lauren Daney tied @ 31mph

Pro-Course off camber berm section - GROM Luca Shaw @ 21mph
(for comparison...herndon was 19mph, Greg Nelson/folsom were 20mph)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yep. That's pretty much how I remember it. Evidently I landed on the rock in the bottom left corner with my hip? That is what a couple people told me. Either that camera distorted depth of field or I was air borne for longer than I remember.

I had been taking this safe line way to rider's left and exited across the roots on a good angle. It wasn't fast but it seemed safe. I threw that plan out the window pretty much. The crowd had me so fired up. It was great.

gotta climbing saw, 361, and 880, i need a 460
My Stihl MS290 seems weak now.

cyclenski23

Chimp
Dec 7, 2009
I got some awesome shots of the pro race, ill try and post them up within the week.
If you got your number ill put priority on them!

RideDad

Chimp
Aug 28, 2009
As others have stated, many thanks to the DB crew. You guys amaze me with how much trail building a few guys can accomplish. My boys and I had a great time and will be back. The friendly helpful vibe from everyone is really fun to be around. Thanks for having two courses. That pro course rock garden was way beyond anything I would consider riding and I didn't even see it in person, only pics, which never look as bad as the real thing. Thanks again.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Check out this incredible photo that Kristian Jackson took during the pro race. Pretty sure its Nathan Swartz.

I counted at least 40 spectators and you can probably only see about half of them. Awesome!

Last edited:

uzziman

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Charlotte
if ya got number 227 on the AM course that would be great. sunday had a schlitz beer jersey on. and a bright neon orange Bryson City Bicycles one on saturday

Jan 12, 2009
I was #222. On saturday i had a blue and gray royal jersey on and sunday I was wearing a white/gray/black cycletherapy team jersey. Was riding a dark blue jamis bam. Had a gray helmet with a red visor too, if that helps!

Thanks!

mehugtree

Chimp
Jun 29, 2009
Someone had to bring up the caboose on the Masters division. If you got any shots of #169 eating rocks on the rockgarden, lemme know!

fun times!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I give.
I am going to get a shirt that says property of Hawksnest.
It owns me.
Hawksnest is Jabba the Hut and I am but a helpless village girl tied to his neck.
Hawksnest is my pimp, who beats me at will for not earning enough.

Let's review:
My 1st race there - I randomly smacked a tree so hard in practice that I could not move my arm to even race.
My 2nd race there - I randomly slid on my ass for 30 yards in the middle of my race run.
My 3rd race there - I simply rode like chumplestilskin from top to bottom.
And last weekend - I made it through all the rocks just fine, and was setting up wide to enter a berm, when my bike hit some brush which lodged into and wrapped around my cranks and pedals. What started off as a small crash, ended up with a bunch of spectators trying to dislodge a stick and a vine from my cranks and pedals. (thanks to everyone who helped BTW.)
I remember laughing while I was waiting and thinking 0-4. :think:

The funny thing about this is that my experience at Hawknest is the exact opposite of my normal race runs. The thing that I do best as a racer is putting in clean solid runs (I didn't say fast). 9 out of 10 times, my race run is my best run of the weekend. Like I said, pure ownage.
But I still love riding that place, and I will be back for more punishment at Hawkoween. :thumb: Thanks to everyone who made the race possible.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I got some awesome shots of the pro race, ill try and post them up within the week.
If you got your number ill put priority on them!
#41. I do it for the photos, not for the fans. :wave:

Oh, and to those wondering what my name is, it's Butch. Despite countless people trying to jinx me by yelling variations the whole way down, I worry that some child might actually think my name was "pansy", "turtle", "fairy", "puzzy" or whatever Manimal called me. I love you guys. :thumb:

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Strange.. people seem to think my name is "let off the brakes!".....

For Butch

Not very good quality... the sigma telephoto lens doesn't seem to work well with my camera.