Quantcast

HDMI switcher/splitters?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Here's the deal, yo.......my TV only has 2 HDMI inputs, and I currently have 4 HDMI devices I'd like to be able to keep permanently plugged in without having to unplug/switch to use different devices. I'm totally oblivious to the home entertainment world, but I saw online HDMI splitters do in fact exist. Do they work well? Is is worth the $50-100? Is there one in particular that works best?

EDIT - upon further perusing splitter and switcher are completely different......splitter allows a single device to be sent to multiple screens/projectors. What I want is a switcher.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
look for something with a remote (IR) since pushing a button to switch inputs in so 2001. you dont need a powered unit unless you are running a long distance. in your case, look for at least a 3-4x1 switcher in case you get anymore gadgets that have a HDMI or DVI output
its amazing how much HDMI switches have come down in the last 5 years alone. also, be sure to not spend more then $5 for a 2m HDMI cable.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Thanks guys. What's a reasonable amount to spend on one? Any recommendations?
Depends on number of ports you want and how long your runs are. Do all four have to be on the same input or are you using both inputs on the TV?

Most of the monoprice cables and switches are a good value - they have pretty detailed information on each listing and reviews. You can also check out Amazon. Avoid big box stores where the profit margin on these accessories is unjustified.

Gauge is better criteria for choosing HDMI cables than price.

Last edited:

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Yea, I'm in the same boat. STB, DVD, PC, and (someday) Xbox 360. Someday I going treat myself to a new amp with HDMI switching. Plus, right now I'm running 5.1 but when I had the house built I had outlets wired for 7.1. I even have the speakers for the rear but my amp is only 5.1.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Runs are all less than 3' aside from the laptop which is 8-10'. TV has 2 HDMI inputs and currently have 4 HDMI devices (cable box, DVD player, Roku streaming device and laptop)....I anticipate a blu-ray player down the road as well most likely. Does it make sense to keep the cable box in one input on the TV (used 75% of the time), then route the remaining 3-4 devices to the switcher?

This any good? seems to be a popular option, gets great reviews and is really cheap.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=hdmi+switcher&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12161661434763423856&sa=X&ei=03n_Tr6hOsbrgge1mO2EAg&ved=0CKoBEPMCMAI

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
TV is a Panasonic Viera 42" plasma, 720p. Seems to switch inputs pretty quickly, then again you're talking to a kid who's switching from a DVD player to an NES.......so speed isn't really what I'm about. :rofl:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Runs are all less than 3' aside from the laptop which is 8-10'.
i still always recommend and spec'd out a 2m minimum cable for anybody or any job that i did. 1m is only 3.3' and that doesnt leave much room if you ever have to move stuff around or have to get to the back of the tv or other equipment by turning it. the price for a 2m cable isnt really that much at all.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you do decide to buy one of those budget switches from Amazon make sure you buy it from highly rated official Amazon fulfillment source, not a random third party reseller. If you need any customer support or have shipping problems it could be a real PITA.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Follow-up bumpage:

Wound up getting the 3 way mini HDMI switcher from Monoprice for $18. More inputs would have been nice, but in reality don't see a need as the only thing I see myself getting down the road would be a blu-ray player, and if that were the case I'd simply replace my DVD player with a combo unit. The main appeal was something that was self-powered and had a remote, which this had.

Been using it for a couple weeks now and works 100% with no issues. Seamlessly changes between my DVD player, laptop and Roku. Thing is tiny, and has awesome multicolor led indicators that are easy to see across the room to let you know what it's set at.

On top of that, I was now up to 5 remotes with the addition of the switcher. I did a bit of poking around online and saw the Logitech Harmony series controllers supported control of the switcher and the Roku, which I wasn't sure was possible. Picked up the Harmony 650 today on the way home from work, and had the thing set up and working for all 5 devices in less than 10 minutes. The computer setup is unbelievably easy and quick to do, and the controls themselves are intuitive for all devices. Last universal remote I had was 10+ years ago and was the old school IR/codes which sucked immensely. Cool to see these have come a long way.

Overall very happy with the switcher and remote so far in the little time I've had them.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Logitech has always been good when it came to universal remotes. especially in the most important part, the programming. we used to sell remotes that functioned better but programming was a huge nightmare. Logitech's easy menu system for their computer program really made them stand out. i love my Harmony 880.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Logitech has always been good when it came to universal remotes. especially in the most important part, the programming. we used to sell remotes that functioned better but programming was a huge nightmare. Logitech's easy menu system for their computer program really made them stand out. i love my Harmony 880.
My friend got the (I believe) 900 for Christmas, which is what turned me onto them. $200+ and 15 devices is far more than I wanted to spend/needed, so I was pretty pumped to see the 5 device 650, which is perfect for what I need.......and a lot more reasonable at $70.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
On top of that, I was now up to 5 remotes with the addition of the switcher. I did a bit of poking around online and saw the Logitech Harmony series controllers supported control of the switcher and the Roku, which I wasn't sure was possible. Picked up the Harmony 650 today on the way home from work, and had the thing set up and working for all 5 devices in less than 10 minutes. The computer setup is unbelievably easy and quick to do, and the controls themselves are intuitive for all devices. Last universal remote I had was 10+ years ago and was the old school IR/codes which sucked immensely. Cool to see these have come a long way.
Do you have any decrepit old devices that you're using the control with? I'd love to consolidate my remote situation... but I have a 20 year old receiver, almost 20 year old CD changer, and a kinda old DVD player...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Do you have any decrepit old devices that you're using the control with? I'd love to consolidate my remote situation... but I have a 20 year old receiver, almost 20 year old CD changer, and a kinda old DVD player...
If you can give me model numbers off the devices, I can look them up in the Harmony database to see if they're there.

That said, it'd be painful, but the Harmony remotes can "learn" IR commands from other remotes even if they aren't stored in the database. So you could use the current remote to send the commands to the Harmony, and then program the Harmony with the learned commands.

That would be much less automatic - you'd have to program each button, one at a time, whereas a device in the database has a remote "template" with the buttons all mapped in a default manner (it can be modified, but it stops you from having to do the stupid work like mapping the volume up button to the "volume up" IR command). There is a function for it in the software to help streamline the process.

The database is pretty huge, though, and it even had support for some old, crappy VHS/DVD combo unit I had.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
If you can give me model numbers off the devices, I can look them up in the Harmony database to see if they're there.

That said, it'd be painful, but the Harmony remotes can "learn" IR commands from other remotes even if they aren't stored in the database. So you could use the current remote to send the commands to the Harmony, and then program the Harmony with the learned commands.

That would be much less automatic - you'd have to program each button, one at a time, whereas a device in the database has a remote "template" with the buttons all mapped in a default manner (it can be modified, but it stops you from having to do the stupid work like mapping the volume up button to the "volume up" IR command). There is a function for it in the software to help streamline the process.

The database is pretty huge, though, and it even had support for some old, crappy VHS/DVD combo unit I had.
If you have the link handy I can just check myself... that's pretty convenient having a database available. :D

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the models listed on their might not be the exact model as you have but companies typically didnt change the IR codes on their products unless there was a big change in the model lineup. if you cant find your model, find a similar one..

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Nothing old, but as BV and IH8Rice said, the database is HUGE....something like 225,000 devices from hundreds of manufacturers. If an old school IR universal remote can be programmed for your devices, the Harmony remotes can be.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you have the link handy I can just check myself... that's pretty convenient having a database available. :D
I don't know of any publicly available database; the only way I know how to check is to actually try to add a device to my remote's setup and see if it exists. But I don't think you can get that far in the software without actually possessing a remote.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
i didnt use any of the original remotes when i did mine
No, I mean - I thought the only way to check the Harmony database for a device's existence is to log into the Harmony software, go to add a device, and then punch in the device model. You can't get there unless you actually have a Harmony remote control, because the first thing it asks you to do when you set up the software is to plug in your Harmony remote.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ah. i smell ya.

logitech's database really made everyone else's system look like a joke when it came out. hell, even the mighty Crestron required a trained person to program their multi-thousand dollar remotes with a laptop. and even then, it was a HUGE nightmare

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Checked. Everything is in the database. Now to get one of those bahstids...
Which one you looking at? How many devices?

After I posted the bumpage last night, I spent about a 1/2 hour setting up 6-7 different "activities" in the remote. Basically a one-touch button that tells everything what to do....powered on/off, what input to be on, etc. Hell, I even have it setup so if I want to watch TV, it automatically sends a signal to pull up the listings guide before it switches to cable. Pretty slick.

Unbelievable how much control you have, even with the cheapo version I got.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Which one you looking at? How many devices?

After I posted the bumpage last night, I spent about a 1/2 hour setting up 6-7 different "activities" in the remote. Basically a one-touch button that tells everything what to do....powered on/off, what input to be on, etc. Unbelievable how much control you have, even with the cheapo version I got.
I think I'll need one that will do 5 devices... so not sure which one...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
If you only need 5 devices and don't see a need/want to go anymore, I'd say the Harmony 650 is your best bet. You get the cool color LED display and the price is right at $70. The next one up I saw was $120, but I'm not sure the added functionality was worth the $50....unless of course you need the ability to program more than 5 devices.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Checked. Everything is in the database. Now to get one of those bahstids...
Several years ago, I got the Harmony 880 refurb on a price error from Logitech, paid about $30 for it.

Then my house got burglarized, so I got another, new 880.

Recently, it started giving me trouble and after some convincing, Logitech sent me a Harmony 900.

The 900 is expensive, but it does RF and comes with IR blasters... so you don't have to be line of sight (i.e. components in a cabinet), or even pointed in the direction of the components. The only disadvantage of the Harmony remotes is that there is no feedback (obviously) to the remote, so it assumes it turned everything on, but since you're often turning on several components, it could miss one. It's not hard to turn back on, but it isn't easy for people who might use your system and don't understand how to fix it. The RF is sweet, because it NEVER misses one.

Pricey, though. I think the refurbs regularly go on sale for ~$150.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i have the 880 as well but they made a 890 Pro version which is identical to the 880 but includes a RF system. it seems the price for the 890's is all over the place on the internets.
their CS is pretty good. i had intermittent recharging issues with the charging base (same problem my mouse had) and the battery died b/c of it. they sent me a new one at n/c and didnt ask for the old one back.