Quantcast

Head TOOBS

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Jesus christ bike industry. I hate your ****ing face.

Just got a new bike, Intense Uzzi. Its got a 1.5 headtube. I want to run a tapered setup. I keep seeing headset sizes that say 47mm and 56mm and blah blah blah.

WHAT GODDAM SIZE DO I NEED???

I hate the bike industry. They should be forcefully sodomized by every standard they keep introducing.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I'd like to know when it was decided headset should be listed in metric, but head tubes are still standard.

I ran into this problem last summer when I built my new trail with taper head tube.

Me: Oh tapered head tube I must need a 1.5" lower cup and a 1 1/8" top cup
Bike Industry: Fooled you!
Me: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Jesus christ bike industry. I hate your ****ing face.

Just got a new bike, Intense Uzzi. Its got a 1.5 headtube. I want to run a tapered setup. I keep seeing headset sizes that say 47mm and 56mm and blah blah blah.

WHAT GODDAM SIZE DO I NEED???

I hate the bike industry. They should be forcefully sodomized by every standard they keep introducing.
Intense is less retarded than most as the majority of their bikes use the one point five standard. (49.6 ID for both)

Copy pasta from Cane Creek

Top Headset:

SHIS:ZS49 - 1.5" to 1-1/8" Threadless

Bottom Headset:

SHIS:EC49/40 - 1.5" Traditional (TR 1.5")

Tool here - http://www.canecreek.com/headset-finder

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think you need an extended lower cup and a reduce top. The cane creek site listed above is usually pretty good.

I agree, seems pretty silly, but honestly a zero stack tapered setup is awesome, and a 1.5" headtube is awesome, they're just awesome at different things. It gets dumb when you get into semi-integrated designs, zero stack 1.125" designs, and pretty much anything else. They all work, but it gets convoluted very quickly.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Yah it can be annoying. Just remember 4 standards: 2 for 1-1/8" and 2 for 1.5".

For 1-1/8, its either "regular" cups, which is 34mm. The other one is the newer Zero Stack (ZS) 44mm, which is used for most top cups of more recent frames with tapered ht's.

For 1.5, its either standard 1.5, which is 49mm, and ZS 1.5, which is 56mm.

Im quite positive the uzzi has both 49mm top and bottom. Now you need to worry bout bearing size, and crown race size, whether youre running a straight steerer or tapered. :)

Or... Just use the CC headset selector. Haha

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
you know its gone to hell when Cane Creek has to make a easy to read measuring tool to determine what headset you need :think:

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The S.H.I.S. standard nomenclature has been a godsend for people who make bikes.
44mm cups, 38mm cups, etc... Steer tube dimension has become irrelevant when it comes to designing bikes now. It's all about the cup/bearing size.

I've had to spend hundreds of dollars on new cutters over the last 2 years to get caught up with all of the various sized you can get bearings or cups in. It's nice to have options... and a huge pain in the butt too.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Steer tube diameter is far from irrelevant when it comes to assembling a bike however, and seeing as consumers are the ones buying products and putting money in manufacturers pockets', you'd think they make it at least easily decipherable.

Remember what happened when NASA tried to combine metric and imperial units?

NASA lost a 125 million Mars orbiter because one engineering team used metric units while another used English units for a key spacecraft operation, according to a review finding released Thursday.
http://articles.cnn.com/1999-09-30/tech/9909_30_mars.metric_1_mars-orbiter-climate-orbiter-spacecraft-team?_s=PM:TECH

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Must spread rep.

This kind of complete sh*t for what is basically zero performance gain is the kind of thing that makes the bike industry such a gigantic joke. All these goofy standards, and things still can't hold up after a decade of development.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Boooo hoooo, buy a decent frame that will last a while, do the same for a headset and stop whinging.
If you can't deal with new standards, get a custom frame to suit the old style shyte you want to run.

If we didn't have so many new standards how would we fill a forum with page after page of **** talk?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
If this is complicated, stay away from cars and motorcycles. Because most everything is proprietary.

Also, standards proliferate in the bike industry for the same reason they proliferate in every other industry:

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
While I REALLY am illiterate when it comes to reading metric information, I'd love for the US to just shut up and convert and be done. Rip the band-aid off and go.

My only fear then is that engineers could vary in even smaller increments from one another too easily. At least inch increases are harder to calculate and justify making huge jumps over other technology.

If we adopt metric, "Well, our studies show that 975mm is more optimal than 970mm, so that is our new standard."