Quantcast

Headed to Boise in a couple days - Riding?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So in a few days I am headed to Boise to visit family. I will be spending 5 days there and would like to get some road riding in. Coming from Socal the main thing I am worried about is warmth since forecasts call for temperatures anywhere from 20-40 degrees. I have toe covers, leg warmers, bibs, a midweight sleeveless base layer, a thermal jersey, arm warmers, wind vest, some Wool gloves, and a thermal hat. Is this anywhere near enough clothing? Should I even bother with the bike this time of year? I figure conditions will be pretty bad as there might be snow, but I kind of want to at least get out for an hour or two for a couple days. Basically I have no concept of riding a bike where temperatures drop below 50 degrees ever and want to know if anyone has any last-minute advice. Thanks guys!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Depends on a lot of things like how warm your body and extremities run and what the weather is like that day (big diff between 45 and 20 and between sunny and raining). My guess is that you'd be pretty cold.

If your gloves don't block the wind well your hands will likely get pretty chilly if it's near freezing. If it's between 20 and 40, I'd guess that leg warmers would be too light as well, but perhaps bearable for a shorter distance. If you can cram thicker wool socks into your shoes, that will help. Duct taping over all the mesh vents can help as well if you don't have full booties. Hat that covers the ears is crucial. It keeps the heat in and your ears from falling off. Ears, hands and feet- those are always the problem areas for me (I live in Socal now, but was in NJ, CT and VT my whole life until this summer). Other than that just layer up as much as possible. Wear a few jerseys, two pairs of gloves...whatever you've got so long as it doesn't absorb sweat or restrict circulation.

But, on another note, you really need to take the bike? I feel that impulse too sometimes when I visit family and other places. But sometimes it's better just to simplify things, not deal with the hassle and get some exercise with less equipment-intensive activity (hiking, running, shoveling snow...) I'm sure you could get by with whatever clothing you have, but maybe more hassle than it's worth for five days (especially if you're flying).

If the forecast is anything like Salt Lake City (which it usually is in the winter, given the jetstream), all of next week is going to be wet and cold. It's very difficult and a huge pain in the ass to stay dry on the bike in a blizzard. I'd suggest leaving the bike home and running instead, especially if you've never ridden in below-freezing conditions. It's a definite shock to the system and takes some getting used to.

My big issues with dry cold riding are keeping my feet and hands warm. Once that's done, I'm home free - but you've gotta have the right stuff. Very good gloves (lobsters are a good choice), waterproof/insulated shoe covers with wool socks, and something to cover up your ears.

This year I'm picking up almost all GORE bike stuff for cold weather riding, very stoked - I've heard great things.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Going to be driving out there, gonna bring the bike and everything I have clothing-wise, and ride if it's closer to 40...if not I won't bother. Looks like there's a couple popular routes that would be really nice if it's not too cold, so I'm hoping that the weather channel is right about the forecast later this week...thanks for the suggestions guys!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
toe covers, leg warmers, bibs, a midweight sleeveless base layer, a thermal jersey
just need some gloves that block the wind, wool socks, and a hat to cover your ears, and you should be fine (judging by how i dress...your mileage may vary). the "midweight" base layer is a bit of an unknown, though. for me there are 2 kinds of base layers: light-weight and wind-blocking front. wind-blocker + thermal jersey will be quite warm and that's typically what I wear down to about 35.

this year i'm going to opt for a bandana over the face when temps drop below 40.