Quantcast

Headlocks - good or not so good ?

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
Sirbikesalot33 said:
If you ride with a loose headset your headtube is more prone to ovalizing. Think of if you were to ride without a headset, the steerer tube would bang against the head tube and ovalize it. Same idea as a loose headset since everything isnt held tight.

If anyone wants a headlock PM me! I have a brand new one for sale!

star nuts can slip, headlocks do not slip

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Again Star nutts are Only going to slip if you OVER TIGHTEN them. Headlocks Help out with ovalizing when they are overtightened do to the crushing of the bearing cups. Not saying it will always be the case, either way you want o go, Make sure you install properly to start with, and maintain and inspect your setup on a normal basis. Read up on the other posts. i gave teh links to park tools two different torque wrenches. If your ever not sure what to tighten your bolts to, call your Bike manufactures tech help line, they will give you all of them. I happen to have a headlock in my hand, On the back of the package it reads
"This system, as well as any accesory product should be checked and tightened regulary before riding."

Hmmm, if it needs to be checked and tightened regularly, that means it comes loose. Bottom line, eitehr you use, make sure to install it properly and maintain it properly, and you wont have problems either way

P.S. there is no Lock tite or interference fit on this thing, nothing to hold it any differently than a star, other than its a bolt that goes to the bottom of the steer tube, My star nutt has more grip that this bolt does.

If your headset keeps comming loose check to make sure the top cap isn't bottoming out on the steer tube, this will happen if you don't have enough spacers, sometimes you can hardly tell its happening. I had this happen on a new bike I got a few years ago and it was real frustrating till I figured it out. Then I just replaced one of the spacers with a bigger one and all the problems were solved.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
DirtyMike said:
My star nutt has more grip that this bolt does.
Not possible. Headlocks sit below the lower crown so there is NO way the anchoring end will slip up. With a starnut the star grip part can creep up the sides of the inside of the steertube. Hard riding combined with the slightest over torqued starnut will result in the grip of the starnut slipping. Headlocks are a way to eliminate the need to worry about getting your starnut torqued inside the perfect window of tightness (PWOT):agree:. Not too tight that it pulls the startnut up and not too loose that the headset also becomes loose. The only way a headlock would become loose more often than a starnut is if the pitch of the headlocks threads was more than that of the starnut. The failure point in starnuts are their anchors, they slip with enough force. This will never happen with a Headlock.

Personally I've run the same headlock on my last three downhill bikes and have never had it slip. Before I had the headlock, my starnut would slip all the time, even when properly torqued.

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
Sirbikesalot33 said:
Not possible. Headlocks sit below the lower crown so there is NO way the anchoring end will slip up. With a starnut the star grip part can creep up the sides of the inside of the steertube. Hard riding combined with the slightest over torqued starnut will result in the grip of the starnut slipping. Headlocks are a way to eliminate the need to worry about getting your starnut torqued inside the perfect window of tightness (PWOT):agree:. Not too tight that it pulls the startnut up and not too loose that the headset also becomes loose. The only way a headlock would become loose more often than a starnut is if the pitch of the headlocks threads was more than that of the starnut. The failure point in starnuts are their anchors, they slip with enough force. This will never happen with a Headlock.

Personally I've run the same headlock on my last three downhill bikes and have never had it slip. Before I had the headlock, my starnut would slip all the time, even when properly torqued.
Sirbikesalot is right, I've seen star nuts loosen, especially in falls where the handlebars twist, which allows them to move easier....also they break sometimes and that doesn't happen with headlocks....headlocks are better

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Nah I'm with dirty Mike(accept his last statement about star more grip,slight heated error).I have a head lock in my toolbox and thats it. I do not run a top cap.Every now and then I will just cause I'm lazy and it's easy if it's there. but it is only for compressing bearings.
Hold front brake on,gently rock bike back and forward whilst doing up headlock/top cap.This only just needs to be nipped up. it is not there to be done up tight but just to compress headset.Then do up stem working both stem bolts up together.If you ever hurt a star fangled nut you've gone to far.They're weak yes,it's taken me probably 10-15stripped ones over the years to have it sussed.But I've never had any adverse affects without running one. If your going to be able to rip a stem from a bike your not going to be much better off either way.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Both products are totally fine if used as intended. Headlocks look cooler and stop mud getting in your steerer.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Headlocks are good for those that lack the tools or skills to install a star nut.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Sirbikesalot33 said:
If you ride with a loose headset your headtube is more prone to ovalizing. Think of if you were to ride without a headset, the steerer tube would bang against the head tube and ovalize it. Same idea as a loose headset since everything isnt held tight.

If anyone wants a headlock PM me! I have a brand new one for sale!
I know how things ovalize.

Puhleaze! Thats user error, not the starnut! It either isn't in correctly or the steerer tube is hitting the topcap causing it not tension properly. Time to hit the LBS.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Btw when i was talking about the gtippyness, i wasnt talking about how the start nutt gripped into the fork, i was talking about How grippy the Threads where. The head lock i have here was quite loose on the threads, where the long ass bolt went into the anchor, also no type of factory thread lock, nor any Nylon inserts. The feel of the Bolt going into Every star nut i have used has felt better and has just enough roughness to hold. Either one you use, its still only set at about 5-9 inch lbs. You dont tighten one tigher than the other. In my Opinion a headlock was designed as a Psycological<SP> selling tactic. By its shear look, it appears to be a better design, but as i tested myself, i ran most the day at Southridge the other day with my Top cap loose, <Star nutt style> and my headset did not come loose, even after i crashed and twisted the bars to the left. Use whichever you prefer, but make sure you set them up properly either way. Inch lb torque wrenches can be as cheap as 30 dollars, Very wize investment.