Quantcast

headtube ovalization, causes by start nut fail?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I just had an idea.

How many headsets/headtubes fall to ovalization due to a loose headset caused by a bad star nut. How many still get ovalized with using a headlock device?

Just a curious question

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I don't see how a headtube can ovalize if the star-nut is faulty...the stem is what holds everything together...D

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I think 99% of head tube ovals is due to loose/failed starnut, i blew my starnut off, pulled right through the steerer, i dont think it ever happens with head lock devices.:cool:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
well, usually people forget to tighten their stem enough, i know some weight weines who tighten their headset, then stem, then take the compression device off.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by Spunger
I just had an idea.

How many headsets/headtubes fall to ovalization due to a loose headset caused by a bad star nut. How many still get ovalized with using a headlock device?

Just a curious question

i have seen plenty of ovalized headtubes on bikes who never had a star nut in them only headlocks.

i guess you could say that some headtubes fail because of bad starnuts, but thats a very indirect mechanism
its really bad starnut/loose headset/user neglect(or ignorance)/ovalization.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by mack
well, usually people forget to tighten their stem enough, i know some weight weines who tighten their headset, then stem, then take the compression device off.
Even I'm not that bad :)

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
I don't know about "most," but plenty of head tube ovalization occurs due to "home mechanics" who pound their headsets in with a hammer, or people who don't use the Park press correctly. The problem with these situations is the cups don't go in straight, and either get stretched (aluminum cups) or wallow out the head tube (steel cups). Then you've got this microscopic bit of play between the two faces instead of a tight press, and vibration causes that gap to grow and grow until the headtube is ruined (and the cups also, usually).

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by James | Go-Ride
I don't know about "most," but plenty of head tube ovalization occurs due to "home mechanics" who pound their headsets in with a hammer, or people who don't use the Park press correctly. The problem with these situations is the cups don't go in straight, and either get stretched (aluminum cups) or wallow out the head tube (steel cups). Then you've got this microscopic bit of play between the two faces instead of a tight press, and vibration causes that gap to grow and grow until the headtube is ruined (and the cups also, usually).
I qualify as a home mechanic :D Im proud to have pounded 3 new King Headsets into 2 RFXs, a Karpiel, and a Nicolai with a Hammer. I havnt had one problem ever, and ive always used the hammer method. Maybe i just havnt seen problems arise because i have a bad habit of buying 2 frames a season :rolleyes:

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
A loose headset will eventually cause a headtube to ovalize because it allows the forks steerer tube to rock back and forth inside the cups constantly while you ride. This eventually will pound the tube out of round no matter what. That is a good reason why you should always make sure there is no play in your headset.