Quantcast

Health Care Reform is Dead

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
That's the problem, shit's expensive. Not addressing that (rationing! no paying for $100k/month treatments for people 6 months from death's door...) won't solve the problem.

See the Colorado single payer plan that instituted a 10% income tax up to $450k income, and still would likely have been insolvent from what I read... (thus part of the reason why I didn't support it despite generally being a flaming liberal)
Is that 10% overall? Or 10% on top of what we currently pay? I currently pay 5.4% of my salary towards healthcare with my employer kicking in some other amount, I'd have to think I'd be darn close to the 10% threshold if that's the target.

But yes, I fully understand that the majority of healthcare resources are used to cover the last few months of life for the doomed. Whether we want to call it a death panel or reality, it's a real contributor that needs to be addressed.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Hell - institute national "right-to-death" legislation (physician-assisted exit strategies) and I'd bet you'd find a lot of hopeless cases would select to voluntarily exit early and comfortably. I know I would if I faced certain, excruciating death in the short-term.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hell - institute national "right-to-death" legislation (physician-assisted exit strategies) and I'd bet you'd find a lot of hopeless cases would select to voluntarily exit early and comfortably. I know I would if I faced certain, excruciating death in the short-term.
Not me, but I’m an asshole.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
One answer is your military.
The money could easily be found to supplement personal and payroll contributions.
First thing is to audit the mess, the cash should be accountable. Why do the bow and arrow guys get a pass?
That alone will free up a big chest of treasure.
Maybe close down a few foreign military bases - do you have to be in almost every country on earth?
Maybe streamline a few things, you know like cutting out redundant processes due to inter branch rivalry.
Maybe ease back on building things you have a whole whack of, ie MBT's, you keep refurbing what you have, and building new ones even though the army itself says ...um hey, guys - like we got enough, please stop sending us more.
Maybe ease up on building Aircraft carriers, they are getting harder and harder to defend and the ways to take them out keep getting cheaper and easier to deploy. There are already known missiles that are faster than the known defenses.
Maybe take a page out of <gasp> the Russian playbook - not everything has to be the ultimate in high-tech and cost a bazillion dollars each, I'm not saying go all caveman, but come on when you have to walk a runway for FOD, and the Russians don't even bother to cut the weeds growing out of theirs.....maybe there is an in-between - you want to be operational if the runway gets littered with a bit of gravel - no?
Maybe you don't have to spend as much as the next 7 or 8 countries combined.
Maybe I should stop whilst I'm ahead.....

um....I'll get me coat.....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My family HDHP plan through Anthem costs $1,454/mo
For High Deductible? :fie:

See the Colorado single payer plan that instituted a 10% income tax up to $450k income, and still would likely have been insolvent from what I read... (thus part of the reason why I didn't support it despite generally being a flaming liberal)
There was a whole bunch wrong with that proposal, including the fact that it didn't mandate every state resident join, if they had employer provided health care they were exempt, which was part of the reason for it's insolvency.

We, as a country, have to accept that healthcare is a fundamental privilege of a *real* 1st world nation.
A right, not a privilege. Getting a drivers license, and driving a car, is a privilege.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
One answer is your military.
The money could easily be found to supplement personal and payroll contributions.
First thing is to audit the mess, the cash should be accountable. Why do the bow and arrow guys get a pass?
That alone will free up a big chest of treasure.
Maybe close down a few foreign military bases - do you have to be in almost every country on earth?
Maybe streamline a few things, you know like cutting out redundant processes due to inter branch rivalry.
Maybe ease back on building things you have a whole whack of, ie MBT's, you keep refurbing what you have, and building new ones even though the army itself says ...um hey, guys - like we got enough, please stop sending us more.
Maybe ease up on building Aircraft carriers, they are getting harder and harder to defend and the ways to take them out keep getting cheaper and easier to deploy. There are already known missiles that are faster than the known defenses.
Maybe take a page out of <gasp> the Russian playbook - not everything has to be the ultimate in high-tech and cost a bazillion dollars each, I'm not saying go all caveman, but come on when you have to walk a runway for FOD, and the Russians don't even bother to cut the weeds growing out of theirs.....maybe there is an in-between - you want to be operational if the runway gets littered with a bit of gravel - no?
Maybe you don't have to spend as much as the next 7 or 8 countries combined.
Maybe I should stop whilst I'm ahead.....

um....I'll get me coat.....
In the army we always had to stay in tents. When the Air Force travels around in a beech jet, king air, c-130, etc., they always stay in a hotel, wtf? Why can't they just pitch a tent in the grass alongside the runway?

Don't even get me started on the reserves and guard, huge waste of money and guys just a ubusing the hell out of the system.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Is that 10% overall? Or 10% on top of what we currently pay? I currently pay 5.4% of my salary towards healthcare with my employer kicking in some other amount, I'd have to think I'd be darn close to the 10% threshold if that's the target.
IIRC the proposal was 10% of income, but you had to factor in the fact that you would no longer be buying health insurance if you got into the state system. A fairly large employer tax was also written in though I do not recall it's specifics. The part of the proposal I had big problems with was the fact that had the law passed, if your employer continued to provide health care, you would have had to pay both. The law did not mandate, and actually made specific exemptions to enrolling in the system. It was possible to get the worst of both worlds under the bill as it was written.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
10% from you if self-employed. 10% split between you and employer if employed, 6/4% or something like that.

Consider my situation: from $19/month subsidized premiums to 6% overall... yeah, nope.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
There was a whole bunch wrong with that proposal, including the fact that it didn't mandate every state resident join, if they had employer provided health care they were exempt, which was part of the reason for it's insolvency.
i'm sorry.....but.....fuck that.

if i like my employers heath care...i'll keep it.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
10% from you if self-employed. 10% split between you and employer if employed, 6/4% or something like that.

Consider my situation: from $19/month subsidized premiums to 6% overall... yeah, nope.
What % of your income do your annual healthcare expenditures comprise?

Judging by some of the prior responses in this thread, it sounds like most of us are already approaching that 6%/4% threshold. If not for that requirement to pay for both employer and single payer provided nuance, I know I’d come out way ahead with single payer.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Judging by some of the prior responses in this thread, it sounds like most of us are already approaching that 6%/4% threshold. If not for that requirement to pay for both employer and single payer provided nuance, I know I’d come out way ahead with single payer.
From me: < 1%. From employer including subsidy: < 1%.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

:stupid:

Anecdotally, on the paycheck I receive tomorrow, I'm contributing 13ish percent towards "medical". This does not include dental and vision I pay as well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i can understand that.

i have always hated dealing with health insurance.
Lol, when the person at the counter asks me "do you have plan code"? After I give them my insurer and plan number. I say, "what is that supposed to mean?". Seriously, the whole system is so fucked up with so many middlemen with their hand in the cookie jar, hospitals contracting out to subcontractors that send you the bill, wtf? Why are you sending me the bill for this? You can't get with the insurance and figure this out?

Yes, burn it to the ground, and punch the insurance agencies in the face a few times for good measure?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Seriously, the whole system is so fucked up with so many middlemen with their hand in the cookie jar, hospitals contracting out to subcontractors that send you the bill, wtf? Why are you sending me the bill for this? You can't get with the insurance and figure this out?
When I worked for Plexis (healthcare claims processing software) it was really an interesting lesson in just how twisted our system is.

With my old insurance, going to the chiropractor gave me two options:
A: Pay $43 cash for treatment = doctor get all of it, everybody wins
B: Pay $50 deductible = insurance gets billed $135, doctor gets $35 for the visit when all said and done

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Amazon, JPMorgan Chase, and Berkshire Hathaway announced on Tuesday that they intend to form a new company that manages health care for their hundreds of thousands of U.S. employees, the idea being that a unified, not-for-profit entity can reduce workers’ expenses.
I can't fucking believe no one has ever thought of that before.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Careful there comrade or ICE will banish you to one of those Euro-peein wastelands where it takes a year to see a doctor and death panels are busy knocking off grandma.
just try real hard to stay out of a hospital.....

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
yo. just got home from back surgery. L5/S1. If you don't have insurance they make you pay cash.

CASH.

I'll probably sell some of the pain meds to recoup my loss....