Quantcast

Heard of an EPX TerraShark??

Jul 13, 2006
Baltimore County
I'm looking to getting my first mountain bike. I don't have a lot to spend on it. Has anyone heard of this bike? The review from mbaction sounds good, and it is the right price...

EPX Terra Shark carbon fiber dual suspension single pivot mountain bike. The bike is in good condition but may need a tune up. Components include R/C float with lock out rear shock, RS Phsylo SL front shock (fully adjustable with lock out), Ritchie seatpost, WTB saddle, XTR rear derailure, XTR cables and housings, Avid mechanical disc brakes, Truvativ cranks, raceface gold BB, clipless pedals, Ritchie bars, and XTR shifters.

http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=701

http://www.epxbikes.com/MountainBikes/EPXTerrashark/tabid/125/Default.aspx

Thanks,
Nick

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Ah. Gotcha.

The reason I mentioned that it should be moved was cause it was in the DH forum when I saw it first...At 4" front and rear, that bike is well suited as an XC rig. Yes, it will handle descents, but not the kind that dedicated DH rigs are made for.

From the review on MBA and looking at the website, I'd say go for it (apparently it's in your price range...and from the review, the component spec is higher than average). Just check over everything and make sure there aren't any deep scratches on any of the carbon fiber pieces (Frame especially). Once CF is scratched it's only a matter of time until it snaps completely...And you don't want to be riding it when it does.

Ride the crap out of it. Use it to improve your handling skills and to figure out what you'd like to improve on for your next bike.

Have fun!

BillT

Monkey
I'd tell you to stay away and try to find something else from a more reputable manufacturer. A friend of mine has one and he's broken the swingarm twice (which they replaced without any questions, but it took a while) and has been waiting on a replacement drop-out for months. Find a used Giant/Specialized/Trek/Cannondale and leave the EPX alone.

Jul 13, 2006
Baltimore County
yeah, the consensus from all sources I've collected is that carbon fiber is not a material for a beginner - someone who will be crashing a lot. once scratched, carbon fiber is on it's way to failure, and failure of carbon fiber is a loud bang as is completely splits in half.

thanks for the responses.
nick

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
yeah, the consensus from all sources I've collected is that carbon fiber is not a material for a beginner - someone who will be crashing a lot. once scratched, carbon fiber is on it's way to failure, and failure of carbon fiber is a loud bang as is completely splits in half.

thanks for the responses.
nick
Every time I hear about a carbon component breaking, I always flash back to the movie "Cool Runnings" with John Candy...

"In a bobsled, you're bones don't break....they shatter." :monkeydance:

Let us know what you finally get (or if you want input on other bikes)...Lots 'o experience and knowledge on this here board...in amongst the poo flingin' and occasional witty banter...

Jul 13, 2006
Baltimore County
Every time I hear about a carbon component breaking, I always flash back to the movie "Cool Runnings" with John Candy...

"In a bobsled, you're bones don't break....they shatter." :monkeydance:

Let us know what you finally get (or if you want input on other bikes)...Lots 'o experience and knowledge on this here board...in amongst the poo flingin' and occasional witty banter...
i think i'm going to buy a friend's trek liquid 65