Quantcast

Heart rate monitors

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I did a search but didn't find anything to usefull.
I'm planing on buying a HRM i've never used them before don't know to much about them. I race XC and i want to use it for training i was looking at getting the Polar s150 have any of you used this one or know anything about it.:confused:

mikec918

Chimp
Aug 22, 2001
Virginia
Originally posted by JMAC
I did a search but didn't find anything to usefull.
I'm planing on buying a HRM i've never used them before don't know to much about them. I race XC and i want to use it for training i was looking at getting the Polar s150 have any of you used this one or know anything about it.:confused:
Most HRM are basicly the same. It should let you set training zone with min and maxium Hrt. Should have an alarm that tells you when your outside your training zone. Should record the time below, In and above the training zone during a workout aswell as avg HRT for that workout.

HRT monitor are great for Doing intervals and also for recovery days so you work really hard on your hard days and easy on your easy days. Not hard everyday.

Lookin to getting some training software. I've seen a few that you enter your resting HRT, training goals, hour you can train and time until a big event and it will give you a training plan. then everyday you input the data from your HRT Monitor and the program makes adjustments. Some models of HRT let you down load to your PC.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
The s150 doesn't have PC download stuff but i don't think i want to spend that much on a HRM.
But here are the specs

S150 $ 139.99
As a fitness cyclist and first time triathlete, you will get everything you need with the S150. There's all the key heart rate data, speed and distance, and even Exercise Set that allows you to program your favorite workout. Whether it's on your handlebars or on your wrist, you'll take you training to a new level.
Main Features:

Full Functional Cycle Computer/HRM - with hard wired speed, distance, and auto start
Exercise Set - program your favorite workout
Three target zone settings with out of zone alarm
Recovery function
Stopwatch with 50 lap splits
Independent Count Down/ Count Up timers
Age based HRmax
Watch functions
Single recall exercise file
Total exercise time
Average and max HR
3 target zones
Time spent in, above, and below each target zone, recovery and average HR

Attachments

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
I have the s210. I love it.

All heart rate monitors are not the same, btw. The best rely on an EKG transmitter, not a wrist or finger pulse sensor. EKG's are much more accurate.

At $179.99 I feel the S210 is a crazy great deal. CHeck it out at polar.com.

Good luck!

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
If you get one that downloads data to a computer you can make cool graphs like this to see how you did during a race or training ride.

If you're comfy with ebay you can get a polar S510 for about $150-170. That's a good deal IMHO.

I mostly use my HRM to keep my heart rate low during slow rides and to pick up the pace during a race when I'm not riding at a level I know I can sustain.

Attachments

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well i'd like the s510 but i don't think i can spend that much it is a cool idea to make graphs but i have a feeling i'd do that once and than get bored and never do it again.

I mainly want it for training and i would use it in some long races.
I'm now looking at the Protrainer XT cycle it wireless which is nice.

mikec918

Chimp
Aug 22, 2001
Virginia
Originally posted by JMAC
Well i'd like the s510 but i don't think i can spend that much it is a cool idea to make graphs but i have a feeling i'd do that once and than get bored and never do it again.

I mainly want it for training and i would use it in some long races.
I'm now looking at the Protrainer XT cycle it wireless which is nice.

The Pro Trainer XT cycle is a great HRTM I've had mine for over 2 years it well worth the price. I say this even though I got mine for free from Cycle Sports Mag.

:D

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I've heard that there's a lot of lag when switching to the bike bike computor stuff have you had any problems like that.
Any who i think i'll most likely get the Pro trainer Xt cycle cause it's all cordless i don't want to spend the extra time playing with a cord and a cord would proble get anouing after a while.

Stanker

Chimp
Jul 19, 2002
NorCal, Foothills
I gotta an S710 and it's a piece of junk.....The damn thing works when it wants too. Sometimes the HR just never works , other times it works flawlessly. I had and old Vetta and it was better than this thing. For $220, seems like kinda a waste. Going back to Performance to exchange it for a new one!:angry:

mario

Chimp
May 14, 2002
Denver, CO
Stanker - Do you do most of your riding in a group or alone? I have an S210 and I find that it works flawlessly if I am riding alone (or no one else has an HRM), and it gets really finicky if others are around. Basically I think "own code" is a marketing scam that is great in thoeory and weak in reality. :confused:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well i went to the LBS today and the Protrainer Xt is not avalible in Canada so i'll proble get the S150 or maybe an M series that doesn't have bike stuff.

Stanker

Chimp
Jul 19, 2002
NorCal, Foothills
Originally posted by mario
Stanker - Do you do most of your riding in a group or alone? I have an S210 and I find that it works flawlessly if I am riding alone (or no one else has an HRM), and it gets really finicky if others are around. Basically I think "own code" is a marketing scam that is great in thoeory and weak in reality. :confused:
Own Code is a joke.....it works with my old Vetta :rolleyes: so WTF

I ride alone... It's the watch not the strap.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I got the s150 it's got every thing i want so i'm happy i'm just trying to figure out 3 exersises to put in it. Also i own a copy of the Mountain bike training bible it says to use your lactic acid tresh hold not max heart rate what would you do?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Stanker
My S710 sets my own HR max for me. I just run the Fitness Test and it calculates the max HR based on my resting heart rate/weight etc.
So you actually do a workout though right? I mean, it isn't just calculating it based on your vitals is it? Because that doesn't seem like it would be extremelly accurate.

mario

Chimp
May 14, 2002
Denver, CO
The Polar algorithm is based on vitals, not exercise. As a result, you may or may not end up with a predicted HRmax that will be close to actual. Further, Polar does not provide a value for LT/AT, but you can probably determine your own value by riding (lots of literature on this).

As Heidi suggests, the only way to get accurate values is to get tested; this usually requires an accurate measurement of power (watts) over specific time periods with an observer to help. (This assumes that you don't want to drop $500+ for blood sampling during exercise to determine your LT/AT.)

Also, if you are using a Polar, you need to calculate your LT/AT as a percent of HRmax, and use that as you determine your training levels. It is somewhat problematic to use your LT/AT as the upper HR limit, because the watch will "beep" when you exceed the maximum limit -- something that is easy to do when you ride intervals over your LT/AT. Just know that you probably want to stay out of the zone between 90% and 95% of LT/AT as this is too hard to rest, and not hard enough for real fitness improvement.