Quantcast

Heat and Training

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
Does training in the heat hinder your ability to get a good workout or does the heat provide its own type of benefit? When its really hot out I can't really push it too hard or I'd kill over and die. So my heart rate is lower during the ride but I feel much worse afterwards. No pain no gain right?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Heat makes your workout more difficult if you are not used to it. I know that my fastest running (I don't race bikes so can't compare) times are always in the winter. I once ran a 50K in Ashland Oregon at 85 - I have no plans to repeat the experience because it took too much out of me.

Old_Dude

Monkey
We all know if you overstress your body - regardless of the reasons or conditions - you'll suffer and your recovery will delay progress. It's easy to overstress when conditions are hot and you aren't used to it.

Listen to your body.

Start your workout (ride) hydrated.

Stay hydrated - what do the "experts" say - drink about a litre per hour? I think that's not enough in some conditions, but I sweat like crazy - maybe there's something wrong with me.

Once I was on the news for running in Houston when it was ~105 degrees. Expect to go slower in heat - biking, running, whatever. I love hot weather exercise and I think it's safe if you don't overdo it, use good common sense and stay hydrated. I never expect to get the same performance during hot conditions but I do get a great workout.

And, isn't that what it's about?

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
For me the heat only increases my workout. The hotter it is the harder i push. So far it has worked Very well for me. The main thing to remember is when training in the heat DRINK LOTS of water BEFORE DURING AND AFTER..........

heat stroke is the worste thing you can do to your body

speedbump

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Methow Valley, WA
I read an interesting suggestion the other day about fluid replacement. Since everyone is different, measure what your approximate fluid loss during a workout is. Weigh yourself before your ride, go ride for an hour without eating or drinking anything, and weigh yourself after. Every pound you lost is equal to 16 ounces of water you need to replace per hour.

Old_Dude is right to question the "experts". I found that in ninety degree weather I lost almost 2.5 pounds on a moderate 1 hour ride. That's a little more than the litre-per-hour usually quoted. I'm a big guy (215lbs.) however and I'm sure that someone smaller might lose significantly less. It's an easy test to do and I found it very helpful for hot weather training. :)