Quantcast

Heidi's Southern Utah Vacation (lots of pics so slow)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I personally like the St George/Hurricane/Red Canyon Utah riding better then Moab. Derek and I recently got back from 8 days of riding down there and we had a blast. We took our trailer, or dog Fletcher, 4 cases of beer, 2 growlers of beer, 2 bottles of wine, and our bikes. Game on.

Day 1 was riding in Winnemuca Nevada - there is a network of hard to follow singletrack there and it was hot as hell when we arrived. We sweated out a few hours but didn't take many pictures. We only rode there because it was on our way and I can't drive all day without a ride!

Day 2 was the Red Bluff Competitive Trails area in St. George. We camped right out along the cliffs and rode from there.

It was hardly death like.

Day 3 was more trails over in the same area and a new trail called Zen. It's one of the more technical trails in the area and takes a fair amount of time to negotiate.

Fletcher loving the dirt

Day 4 was Broken Mesa Rim Trail. I was a bit skeptical of the trail when looking at the map because it said it was Advanced and a very rocky, technical singletrack that ends with a 20% half-mile plunge that's truly steep and dangerous. hahaha I LOVED IT!!!!!!!! The trail starts with a 5 mile gradual climb followed by a steeperuphill singletrack section of switchbacks before you reach the top.

We finally reached the treeless mesa with awesome views

This was pretty steep and loose, get back and fly!

Next couple days were Gooseberry Mesa. We camped out by the trailhead and rode right from there. We rode every single trail out there, backwards and forwards and had a great time. I especially liked the EXTREMELY DANGEROUS trail sign...I'd never seen that before.

I added another ride on that day while Derek hiked with Fletcher. The Hurricane Rim Trail was 15 miles and climbed 2000 it claims. It was super hot out that day but well worth the extra mileage.

On to Red Canyon! Just outside Bryce Canyon, this area has some great red rock mountain biking. Thunder Mtn was first up. We did it as a loop from our primitive campground which made the mileage a lot. Be warned, this ride starts above 7000' and climbs.

The next day I rode Cassidy and Lossee Canyon while Derek hiked with Fletcher. Rumor has it Butch Cassidy roamed that area. It was a super fun climb and then a drop down into the Lossee Canyon. The next part was fun, fast and flowy!

Switchback down and STEEP

Fletcher thought it was fun to roll in the red dirt.

that's all folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Wow.. what an incredible trip. Love the pics. Fletcher didn't have any issues with the heat? That is a mighty long coat he has.

Also glad he didn't run into any rattlers. My neighbor's dog got bit over the weekend and almost died. Certainly would have if the vet wasn't about 10 min away.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Wow.. what an incredible trip. Love the pics. Fletcher didn't have any issues with the heat? That is a mighty long coat he has.

Also glad he didn't run into any rattlers. My neighbor's dog got bit over the weekend and almost died. Certainly would have if the vet wasn't about 10 min away.
Well, his coat is short on the top and then just has those long feathers on the sides. He seemed to do fine. He would stay in the shade while we rode. I can't let him off a leash in the open because he takes off hunting.:rolleyes:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
He's really cute.

My dog is pretty good "off leash", but during the spring (rattler season) I keep her on leash since she does not have the common sense to not go after the rattle snakes.

Lizards, bunnies, possums... all fair game.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
great pics. i haven't done Thunder Mountain in years. I wanted to hit it up this year but probably won't make it. Good pics of Gooseberry too. Did you happen to find the Hidden Valley section? That section rules.
Good idea on not letting the dog run loose out there. It's pretty warm down there and there are probably a few rattle snakes around that you wouldn't want the pooch to mess with.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
great pics. i haven't done Thunder Mountain in years. I wanted to hit it up this year but probably won't make it. Good pics of Gooseberry too. Did you happen to find the Hidden Valley section? That section rules.
Good idea on not letting the dog run loose out there. It's pretty warm down there and there are probably a few rattle snakes around that you wouldn't want the pooch to mess with.
Yep, did that section :thumb::thumb::thumb: