Quantcast

Helmet Cam video from Desert 100 (motorcycle race)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
kinghami3 said:
Cool vid, but why is there a worship song at the end?
I don't have sound...:(

And it was done by one of our racers and given to us.

I just finshed loading and watching the darn thing.

What song is it?

Rhino

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
RhinofromWA said:
I don't have sound...:(

And it was done by one of our racers and given to us.

I just finshed loading and watching the darn thing.

What song is it?

Rhino
Dunno the name of the song, but it just starts singing about God while you're watching a desert race. Kind of an odd mix.

WSU DH'er

Monkey
Nov 28, 2003
Fayetteville, NC
ryan/kona29 said:
nice vid! that looks pretty sketch bombing through the dessert like that with no path to ride. that helmet cam has such great quality, i want a helmet cam so bad!
Check out www.TheMotoCam.com there cam looks really sweet, geared toward moto but would work great for mtb as well. Oh and they are out of seattle as well.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
wow they have some great stuff! now just how am i gona get $300 with no job or allowence? anybody want to buy a good as new s-works enduro frame? 2002 year, and i will give you the fox float rc shock on it to(lockout,rebound,comprsion all at your finger tips)!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
kinghami3 said:
Dunno the name of the song, but it just starts singing about God while you're watching a desert race. Kind of an odd mix.
I don't know...there are moments that you pray to what ever you can during a 100 mile desert race....or a 50mph get off. ;)

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Awesome stuff! Boy does that bring back some memories...blistered hands, gas checks out in the middle of god-forsaken nowhere, knarly hill-climbs - - and that big rock lurking behind a chunk of sagebrush :eek:
Glad to see the Stumpjumpers are still around and still doing the Mattawa 100 (even though it's not at Mattawa anymore, obviously). And to think we used to do that (and the Moses Lake 100) on 4-inch-travel trail bikes.
Is any of the Sessions family still involved with the SJMC? Anyway, thanks for sharing the link!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
MinorThreat said:
Awesome stuff! Boy does that bring back some memories...blistered hands, gas checks out in the middle of god-forsaken nowhere, knarly hill-climbs - - and that big rock lurking behind a chunk of sagebrush :eek:
Glad to see the Stumpjumpers are still around and still doing the Mattawa 100 (even though it's not at Mattawa anymore, obviously). And to think we used to do that (and the Moses Lake 100) on 4-inch-travel trail bikes.
Is any of the Sessions family still involved with the SJMC? Anyway, thanks for sharing the link!
Only time I see any of the "old timers" ;) is during our clubs annual dinner. They seem to come out of the wood work! :D

I was basically born into the club but didn't get to hand out at the desert race untill we went over to the South side of Ryegrass rest area....were I could basically fend for myself during the busy weekend.

Now we are staging the race outside of Odessa, WA. Going back out there for the race April 8th and 9th.

Rhino

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
RhinofromWA said:
I was basically born into the club but didn't get to hang out at the desert race until we went over to the South side of Ryegrass rest area....were I could basically fend for myself during the busy weekend.Rhino
Very cool. I was never in the club, but was friends with many members (Ben & Fred Sessions, Fred's daughter Tammy and I all rode for SuzukiLand in Lynnwood) and remember when the 'Bothell Stumpjumpers' began. I was season-high-point 14 and Under racer in their very first MX series. Many fond memories.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
MinorThreat said:
Very cool. I was never in the club, but was friends with many members (Ben & Fred Sessions, Fred's daughter Tammy and I all rode for SuzukiLand in Lynnwood) and remember when the 'Bothell Stumpjumpers' began. I was season-high-point 14 and Under racer in their very first MX series. Many fond memories.
I think Tammy raced last year......in the powder puff class ;)

She is still a ripper.

I rocked the 14 and under class 1988-1990 myself at the desert. :D

No dirt bike anymore?

We hold our meetings in Mount Lake Terrace the first Wednesday of every month if you are near by.

Gerry and Gail Gulickson are some "old timers" that still come to every meeting. Gerry is teaching his great grand kid to ride and still rides himself. :thumb:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Don't race the motor-sickles anymore :(. Still got an old IT 175, but haven't had it out in eons. DH lets me still race two wheels without my dear wife flipping out :D.

These were my haunts 'back in the day': Shorttrack - Gold Creek & Monroe indoors, Aqua Barn; 'Big' ovals - Hannegan, Sky Valley; Scrambles - Maltby, Buckley, Cle Elum; MX - Puyallup, Orting, Startup, Straddle Line and anywhere the Stumpjumpers set up.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
MinorThreat said:
Don't race the motor-sickles anymore :(. Still got an old IT 175, but haven't had it out in eons. DH lets me still race two wheels without my dear wife flipping out :D.

These were my haunts 'back in the day': Shorttrack - Gold Creek & Monroe indoors, Aqua Barn; 'Big' ovals - Hannegan, Sky Valley; Scrambles - Maltby, Buckley, Cle Elum; MX - Puyallup, Orting, Startup, Straddle Line and anywhere the Stumpjumpers set up.
Now we have a Fall harescrambles and a Spring Desert Race/dual sport...both events with poker runs. We have an early winter and late winter Grand Prixs at Pacific Raceways (old SIR). There is a 24hrs endurance team race at Reter Trails in July

Thought you might find this interesting

Womens class at the 2005 desert Race:

Place, Name, Number, Type of Bike, Laps, ETime
1. Darcy Kemp-Pong 9 KTM 1 2:16:7
2. Amy Millar 80 Suzuki 1 2:29:28
3. Jody Walmer 66 KTM 1 2:35:45
4. Tammy Sessions 65 Honda 1 2:36:32
5. Tia Flynn 206 KTM 1 2:37:54
6. Denise Burnside 263 Kawasaki 1 2:43:39
7. Heather Bader 314 Kawasaki 1 2:44:42
8. Amy Arenas 222 Honda 1 2:50:18
9. Jessica McNamee 190 Honda 1 2:52:29
10. Danielle Abeyta 146 Honda 1 2:52:58
11. Enid Larson 32 Yamaha 1 3:23:54
12. Tyra Lawson 94 Honda 1 3:28:9
13. Billie Deeter 145 Honda 1 3:34:48
14. Sharon Adams 115 Yamaha 1 3:41:15
15. Julee Halverson 223 Honda 1 4:34:11
16. Alexandra Berkey 8 Suzuki 1 5:10:32
17. Caitlin Shannon 0 Yamaha 0 5:11:0

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
I raced the Desert 100 when I was about 14, long before I started DH'ing. It was awesome, just really fast and really hard on riders and bikes alike. There's so many injuries in the race it's ridiculous. They had like 4-5 meatwagons placed all around the course.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
ChelanDHer said:
I raced the Desert 100 when I was about 14, long before I started DH'ing. It was awesome, just really fast and really hard on riders and bikes alike. There's so many injuries in the race it's ridiculous. They had like 4-5 meatwagons placed all around the course.
1 meat wagon and lots of sweep riders with radios. :D When did you race the 100?

At Odessa we have a meat wagon and a helicopter. The helicopter has had to be used before. 2 years ago it was pretty bad. Last year I don't think there were any serious injuries. Dislocations, sprains, and broken collar bones and the like.

I have been hurt more riding DH. :o:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
RhinofromWA said:
Me too. In all the years I raced motorcycles I never broke a bone. Then I do in my collarbone at a Mt Spokane DH.

I was in the Mattawa race where the guy had the fatal encounter with the bridge abuttment in the middle of the desert, though (I think about '70 or so?). I almost missed the same turn, the dust was sooo bad.

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
RhinofromWA said:
1 meat wagon and lots of sweep riders with radios. :D When did you race the 100?

At Odessa we have a meat wagon and a helicopter. The helicopter has had to be used before. 2 years ago it was pretty bad. Last year I don't think there were any serious injuries. Dislocations, sprains, and broken collar bones and the like.

I want to say I rode it in 2002, that sounds about right. Spring of '03 was my first DH and I sold my CR80 in fall of '02 to buy my DH rig. That race was nuts, the scramble start was crazy. My bike fired on the first kick and I was off and running, but then I heard all the 650 thumpers roaring up behind so I thought I'd better speed up. By now I was in about 4th gear going balls out through the sage brush, clipped one and it sent me flying less than 5 minutes into the race. When the bike landed it broke my brake lever clean off so I couldn't use my front brakes at all during the race, which sucked because there is one section that was a gnarly downhill and all the back tire would do is skid. Then about 3 miles from the end of the race my clutch cable breaks and so I'm speed shifting but that only works on flat ground. I started up the finishing hill in 2nd and the bike wouldn't let me shift into 1st so I stalled it out and had to walk the bike the rest of the way. All in all, a fun race and I'll do it again someday.