Quantcast

Helmet choices....

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I despise my Giro Montaro MIPS. First of all I don't believe in MIPS for mountain biking. As I see it, the MIPS dohicky just pulls at my hair and its an up sale. The padding in the Montaro is super cheap for such an expensive helmet. The pads buckle around the edges and eventually become unglued within about 5 rides. I have owned a lot of Giro helmets and have never had pads self destruct so quickly. I contacted Giro about it and they just suggested I buy replacement pads. Really? Pads less than one month need to replaced at the customers expense? Luckily Universal Cycles hooked me up with a replacement set. At least they recognize it as a manufacturing issue and went to bat for me the customer. Thanks Universal. The ventilation is pretty poor and the shell is starting to separate and discolor the top of the helmet. However I do like the length of the visor and have found more and more that I use in the fully down position.

So, onto a new helmet... There are too many to choice from, but I'd like some suggestions that meet a couple requirements:

1. Good brow ventilation. I live and ride in the South. Its hot, humid and having good brow ventilation would be great.

2. Useful visor. I can't wear sunglasses because I sweat so badly that it always drips down into my glasses.

3. I don't wear a full face much anymore, I need a helmet that has decent coverage and not just a swiss cheese dirt roadie helmet. So suggest something equivalent to the Montaro.

I am intrigued by the Fox Metah, but I have a feeling it will just look too bizarre? I like the look of the POC Tactal but thats probably getting too expensive. Lazer seems to make a gazillion helmets but I dont have experience with them. Mavic actually makes some good looking helmets. Fly?

Last edited:

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I like my poc trabec and it's less than the tectal. I couldn't say if the visor helps much as I generally ride in the woods. I forget I have it on

edit.. although it might have less protection than the tectal?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I still wear my troy lee a1 because it fits my head perfectly. I know there are other helmets that may let in more air, but honestly riding here I am sweating bullets in a matter of minutes no matter what plastic apparatus I am wearing on my head.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
all noggin's are different but check out the S ambush or ambush comp. extended rear coverage, decent visor, and brow vents. also this:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I ride the IXS Trail RS. It's ok for what you describe. I had to modify the padding in the helmet, snipping the front pieces so they don't connect at the front anymore over the brow vents. I found it made a difference, and at the 1.5 season mark, it the padding hasn't frayed anymore than the day I cut it. I cut it this way to mimic my Giro Hex, which is the helmet that directed the least amount of sweat to my brow. But coverage on the Hex isn't what it could be.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've got a fox flux i've been happy with.

edit: visor is so-so in terms of coverage, i've found venting to be decent (newer ones are supposed to be better) and they can be had for very reasonable prices.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Been happy w/ my Bell Super. Was planning to get a fancier helmet but this fit my head best and it felt quite solid. Agree about those giro pads... but generally, if you're in the humid US states, you might consider a headband. Used to rock one of these back in the 90s xc days. Did a good job, wasn't too fat.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
all noggin's are different but check out the S ambush or ambush comp. extended rear coverage, decent visor, and brow vents. also this:

I've worn those before and yeah, they are decent at what they do but like Jermey says, its a matter of minutes before sweat is dripping into my face. Its going to happen, nothing will eliminate it I only hope to contain it.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I ride the IXS Trail RS.
I had a IXS Trail RS before and it was a decently good helmet for the price. However a couple things, it was only in 2 sizes and the large was cavernous. Not sure about now. The visor was useless and there was a widow's peak on the shell that could obstruct my vision on steep trails. lastly I remember that thing getting hit by backpack as well on steep trails. There is a new EVO version I wonder if it has addressed these issues.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've worn those before and yeah, they are decent at what they do but like Jermey says, its a matter of minutes before sweat is dripping into my face. Its going to happen, nothing will eliminate it I only hope to contain it.
The issue with the Smith is that is has a built-in mini-sweat band that works for about 10 minutes, then it gets soaked and leaks sweat onto your face / glasses during the slightest head movement. I have a few helmets that I rotate (I give them time to dry properly between rides) and when it gets hot and sticky, a Bell Super is a significantly more comfortable choice than the Smith, which I like better on cooler days.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I had a IXS Trail RS before and it was a decently good helmet for the price. However a couple things, it was only in 2 sizes and the large was cavernous. Not sure about now. The visor was useless and there was a widow's peak on the shell that could obstruct my vision on steep trails. lastly I remember that thing getting hit by backpack as well on steep trails. There is a new EVO version I wonder if it has addressed these issues.
Oh yeah! I forgot about the peak. I snipped that sucker down too. Seems like a pain in the butt to have to modify a new helmet that way, but after that, it's been great. A quick look on Google tells me they're available in 4 sizes now. Not sure what EVO brings to the table... looks like the same helmet to me?

I wonder if those sweatbands would act as a ghetto-MIPS.... I have a few lying around I haven't used in a while. Might be worth pulling them out again.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I sweat when I look at a picture of the sun.
The Halo headband does wonders compared to without imo.
Everytime I take a water break, I wring the Halo out.
Its saving grace when it does saturate is the blocker band, which I do find redirects sweat to the side of my face instead of directly into my eyes. It does take a bit of finagling to find the best placement, but so far nothing works better, even if it is far from perfect.

I too need to replace my trail helmet (Giro Hex).
Cooling, visor, and coverage are all at the top of my list just behind "Does the damn thing fit?"

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I ordered/tried close to 10 helmets earlier this year from every major manufacturer that distributes to the U.S. Far and away the most comfortable for my noggin was the Urge Endoro-Matic 2. I'm running the MIPS version; I've had it since early spring with no issues. The shape/padding are super comfortable (nothing else was even close), it has a lot of coverage, it's not super thick and it's not too hot (summer where I live is 90s-100s).

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
There is a new EVO version I wonder if it has addressed these issues.
I have both the older and the evo. The window peak is still there and I never had trouble with backpack hitting it with both models... The most striking difference between the 2 models must be the choice of colours and the fact that the part with the adjusting dial is slightly less confortable since there is no longer padding on it.

I did have a Tectal for a while but sold it rather quick since the ventilation was terrible. For the info, it was a great fit despite my head being 3cm larger than the 55-58cm recommended for a nedium which could have somehow impaired the ventilation... but buddy's with the same lid did also complain about it.

And don't buy a black helmet as they generally hotter than those in paler shades. FWIW

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I ordered/tried close to 10 helmets earlier this year from every major manufacturer that distributes to the U.S. Far and away the most comfortable for my noggin was the Urge Endoro-Matic 2. I'm running the MIPS version; I've had it since early spring with no issues. The shape/padding are super comfortable (nothing else was even close), it has a lot of coverage, it's not super thick and it's not too hot (summer where I live is 90s-100s).

But... the glory hole. I can't do it.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
This won't answer your question necessarily, but fit it subjective. By make, model and year.

When I put a Giro on it looks like Rosie O'Donnell is sitting on my head. It's massive and it actually sits on top of my head instead of around it. I also feel like it sits on the radius of the front and back of my head. Bell and Fox fit me great. Someone else will be opposite. But in this case, I feel like you're looking for the perfect visor more than the perfect helmet. To each their own.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I love my Fox Metah. It is very well ventilated. I was surprised how cool I felt in it and it feels like a quality helmet. I use it for road, dj, trail riding. Basically anything outside park and dh. The only thing is the helmet is huge so with a big head you look like an alien.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I hope their newer helmets are better. Their old dh ones had the chin super close to my face which didn't make you feel comfortable (ffs I could touch it with my tongue) and their dirt jump and enduro helmets were one size fits all so they actually never fit well. Plus the build quality was total rubbish.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I went from an IXS RS, which I really liked, to a Troy Lee A1 (old version), which was really hot, but so comfy. To a new A2 w/ MIPs.

Here's a bit about all of them:

IXS RS - Light, not hot. But pads would soak up sweat and eventually leak if I didn't squeeze them out every so often. After several seasons the pads started to break down. I basically wore the crap out of this helmet, it was that good (to me).

Troy Lee A1 - Comfy AF. Warm. It is now my winter helmet.

New gen Troy Lee A2 - Comfy AF. Not as warm. MIPs is a little weird, but I don't notice the helmet moving around while I ride. Nor do I get any hair caught. Just rode it at a lift-served bike park for the first time. Instead of my usual full face (D3). So nice! Works with goggles really well. The new chin strap setup is so much better, too. The quality of the Troy Lee's are really nice. Check em out in person. The fit on my head and the finish is what sold me on this helmet.

A note about sweat mitigation. For me, I have found that using a skull cap, like something roadies would use from Pearl Izumi is actually really effective. I no longer have to squeeze out sweat, the cap wicks it away magically. For anyone, no matter what helmet, I highly recommend if you're sick of sweat in your helmet pads. Now I still get sweat from my brows. But I usually wipe that away with a good glove that has a sweat cloth on the thumb. Granted, I am in CO, where it is a dry heat. If it gets to 50% humidity everyone is like "It's humid!".

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I love my Fox Metah. It is very well ventilated. I was surprised how cool I felt in it and it feels like a quality helmet. I use it for road, dj, trail riding. Basically anything outside park and dh. The only thing is the helmet is huge so with a big head you look like an alien.
I seriously think this helmet is on the short list. Sometimes I see pics of it and it seems like a normal sized helmet, other times it looks huge. But guess once its on your head you can't see how large it looks. If it is well ventilated and works then why should I care?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
But... the glory hole. I can't do it.
Yeah, I get that. Although the new one just has a hole in the visor, and three in the back that look more like a bowling ball grip. On the upside the straps are mounted on the side rather than the middle, so it's more stable and feels like it's fitting around my head instead of on it. They only have a couple of sizes and they don't use a traditional cage (there is a partial cage with a Boa dial in the back - an improvement over the first version), so it's very much a head-shape specific design (much like a full face). That said the very same thing makes it feel awesome if it does happen to fit. Personally from a comfort perspective the fit of this thing is equivalent to how well the D2 fit my head (loved the fit of that thing). The brow pad is pretty thick, it does a much better job of absorbing sweat than my Giros ever did. Google clearance is excellent, and if you get the mips version the liner runs completely front to back instead of half the helmet like some of the other mips helmets out there.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I seriously think this helmet is on the short list. Sometimes I see pics of it and it seems like a normal sized helmet, other times it looks huge. But guess once its on your head you can't see how large it looks. If it is well ventilated and works then why should I care?
You shouldn't. Just don't expect it to be small. Your head will look like a baloon.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I have an inverted-egg shaped head, and the Mavic Crossmax Pro both fits my head pretty well and has extra ventilation channels both for goggles and the forehead. I haven't had the chance to test it in hot weather since it's winter down here, but I still tend to sweat a lot because poor shape and too much beer.

The downside are the not shell-attached straps. I feel like I'm wearing a mid-1990s helmet.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I ordered the fox metah. Got a closeout off Jensonusa for $76. See how it goes.
Damn that's good price. Around what my local build team bro deal got me before the chief guy went insane on too much motivational stuff and decided to cut off anyone who wasn't super positive and shared the stoke like it was herpes on burning man. Hope you like yours.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Yeah, I like the look of those. Super $$ though with the chin bar.

I'd love to try one out, but nobody sells them around here.
I really like their safety designs and testing transparency. Looking at the dollars I just pour into my bike anyway, a $240 helmet to protect my noggin? small potatoes.....that's how i look at it.

I also need to find one to try on just to check fit.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
You guys realize you can order all the helmets you want from someplace like Jenson, and as long as you keep one of them they won't charge you for shipping out to you on the return (always free with that many helmets)? All you need to do is pay for shipping back. It cost me ~$25 to send them a giant box of helmets back last time (since they don't weigh much).