Quantcast

Helmet choices....

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
ooy, if you guys are deal hunters (forgive me I know how lame I am), here's how I typically do this...

Step 1. Find killer deal on any website, questionables included
Step 2. Get Jenson to price match it (they'll give you a code to punch in at checkout and they typically do free shipping)
Step 3. Buy it through Jenson via Active Junky to get 6% back
Step 4. Profit.

In this case, get Jenson to price match that Tectal for $99, you buy it for $94, and a reputable company ships it for free to your house.

IME, even if you return it, you keep that Active Junky refund, not sure how those economics work :think: and ya ya ya, in this case we're talking about a cheap 6-pack cost, but when you are buying forks or brakesets etc, this can def save you some coin.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The Fox Metah helmet is the worst helmet ever. It didn't feel that bad at the house, but on the trail it was horrible. It sank so deep on my head that it sat almost on my eye brows. Trying to adjust the dial to keep that from happening made the dial dig into my skull. I did an XC race in it last night and all I could think about was throwing it in the woods and just finishing sans helmet. Man, what an expensive lesson. Unless you an unproportionally large distance from your brow to the point of your head DONT BUY THIS HELMET. To be honest I don't know how a helmet like this made it into production. My guess is there are some serious YES men at Fox and no one wanted to say NO to the boss.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Ordered a Kali Interceptor this morning, will give you guys a review in a week or three. It was between that and the Leatt DBX 3.0. Went with Kali because they give you a one-time free replacement if you crash and burn in the helmet (dent, crack, etc).

If I'm totally honest, I want to get to where I'll wear this for long big XC days, and something like the upcoming Kali Invader, Proframe, or MET Parachute for burly trail rips in Pisgah.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The Fox Metah helmet is the worst helmet ever. It didn't feel that bad at the house, but on the trail it was horrible. It sank so deep on my head that it sat almost on my eye brows. Trying to adjust the dial to keep that from happening made the dial dig into my skull. I did an XC race in it last night and all I could think about was throwing it in the woods and just finishing sans helmet. Man, what an expensive lesson. Unless you an unproportionally large distance from your brow to the point of your head DONT BUY THIS HELMET. To be honest I don't know how a helmet like this made it into production. My guess is there are some serious YES men at Fox and no one wanted to say NO to the boss.

You must have one tiny forhead

Mine fits fine.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Perhaps, but I have worn a lot of helmets over the years... Giro, Bell, Specialized, TLD, and nothing has fit so badly as the Fox Metah.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Perhaps, but I have worn a lot of helmets over the years... Giro, Bell, Specialized, TLD, and nothing has fit so badly as the Fox Metah.
Try the old Urge products (haven't tried new ones). It's strange it fits you badly. I've tried both old Fox Helmets, Metah, Giro and Bell and all fit me decent. Though maybe having a huge head influences that.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Has anyone tried the Kali Interceptor?

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/kali-interceptor-review-helmet-2018.html

I knocked my noggin pretty good yesterday at the dirt jumps, and I think it's time for a new helmet now. I like the ventilation and the impact protection of these. But I don't know where to buy one, other than on-line....
I just got one from Jenson and the fit is not good for me. Holding it, it feels good. I like the size and the coverage and the venting. When pressing the helmet onto my head, it hurts a bit, isn't super cushiony in there. My current helmet is a Super 2R, so that's my comparison. Sorry for garbage review, but it's already boxed up and ready to go back.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy online again, but my next lid will come from Backcountry or Competitive since they offer flat $6.99 return shipping. Hard deal to beat.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Every MIPS helmet i've tried felt awful on my head and i'm not really convinced of the benefits either. Other than that, this one actually looks decent and far less embarrassing than the Super 2R in full face guise.
I'm in a 2R now and like it a lot except for MIPS and it def lacks a little on protection (e.g. single density EPS). The fit is good (for me), but in half shell form it twists the helmet into odd places on my head after initial impact. Example: OTB last year helmet did great on first hit (rotated), but then it left my forehead totally exposed and ended up getting some sweet dome art. I like the Leatt, 6D, and Kali alternatives - essentially elastometers that maintain positioning but still allow for that rotation.

I'm interested in what this MIPS "spherical" is on this new Super DH. Never heard of that one.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Hmmm. Mostly finding information regarding MIPS spherical on ski helmet sites, but it seems pretty darn similar to the independent inner/outer shell design of 6D. No more slip plane.

Also jives with these images:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
From all i can find it's just a slightly updated version of Mips. I'm on a regular 2R that fits me well and is surprisingly well ventilated, but it's not excactly the most comfortable helmet i've owned. It's a great helmet for my regular rides when i want some extra protection (or at least the feeling of being more protected), but i have no illusions about it being anywhere near a proper full face.