Quantcast

Helmet Wraps

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The pics were taken outside the shop where the light was much better then the sh!tty shop lights. And there just so happens to be train tracks right outside...
Oh, so the sunlight makes the pennies flat?

(serious side note: Helmet looks HOT!)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea, the helmet looks solid dude. Better than a lot of the designs I see. Plus, then you could just buy the helmet you want and wrap it with a better print, or plain.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I did this when I had my decal machine on a few helmets. Came out great. If you mess it up, remove and install a new one.

How many pieces is this one and what type of vinyl?

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
Eventually I'd like to be able to charge for it. Need to get some more experience before doing charging though. Been working on cars, trucks, vans etc. Helmets are much more difficult...

Yeah, the idea is get a left over helmet that no one wants for cheap. Then you can afford to put your own graphics on it. Could be good for teams and such too.

As for pricing. I've done my homework on this and it seems like other companies are charging about what a custom painted would run. But, theres a lot more possibilities with being able to print the graphics.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
I did this when I had my decal machine on a few helmets. Came out great. If you mess it up, remove and install a new one.

How many pieces is this one and what type of vinyl?
This helmet was 7 pieces, and I used Avery wrap vinyl and over laminate. I did a Sprint car helmet too, and that was only 4 pieces.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Might be a non-issue.......but does wrapping the helmet in vinyl make it any hotter inside? Probably negligible given the shell is composite/carbon/plastic anyway, but nothing traps in heat like vinyl.

Either way, definitely looks awesome.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
Might be a non-issue.......but does wrapping the helmet in vinyl make it any hotter inside? Probably negligible given the shell is composite/carbon/plastic anyway, but nothing traps in heat like vinyl.

Either way, definitely looks awesome.
I can't imagine it would make much of a difference. Plus I did cut out the speed holes...

Thanks for all the compliments guys:thumb:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I can't imagine it would make much of a difference. Plus I did cut out the speed holes...

Thanks for all the compliments guys:thumb:
I figured as much as well. Follow up question:

Can you create wraps that have clear sections in it? Reason I ask is nothing looks awesomer than carbon fiber, so letting some CF show through would be badass. If I ever were to do a wrap to my D2 Carbon, I'd likely want to let some of the CF show through.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
I figured as much as well. Follow up question:

Can you create wraps that have clear sections in it? Reason I ask is nothing looks awesomer than carbon fiber, so letting some CF show through would be badass. If I ever were to do a wrap to my D2 Carbon, I'd likely want to let some of the CF show through.
Yeah I would just cut certain sections out of the print, before lamination. I was thinking about that too actually. I'd like to find a plain cf helmet to do just that.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah I would just cut certain sections out of the print, before lamination. I was thinking about that too actually. I'd like to find a plain cf helmet to do just that.
I think 661 has one, or had. I wouldn't mid doing something like that on my street moto lid.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
could someone explain the whole process the helmet looks hot but i don't have a clue how to do it :D

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
could someone explain the whole process the helmet looks hot but i don't have a clue how to do it :D
Don't wanna say too much, because it is rather difficult. But the graphics are printed on the same vinyl material used for wrapping cars and such. You heat it up and smooth it out with your hands to perfectly fit the contours of a smooth surface.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
Few more pics of recent helemt wrap. WWII themed. For whatever reason the guy who runs the printer refuses to print any samples... So it turned out much more reddish then it should be...

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
Nice work! I have always wanted to get a helmet wrap to match my daughter's dragster. Hers is a tie-dyed vinyl wrap that is cool and unique.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
Nice work! I have always wanted to get a helmet wrap to match my daughter's dragster. Hers is a tie-dyed vinyl wrap that is cool and unique.
I think I saw a pic of that you posted in another thread?

Those style helmets are easier to do then new style MX/DH full face helmets.

If you want to talk biz, pm me.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Depending on cost, if you could do that for a Pro-Tec/skateboard lid and price it competitively that would be *awesome*. Sell pre-printed and pre-cut wraps so that people can refurbish an old lid as opposed to coughing up the $60 for a Nutcase helmet.

Unfortunately from your earlier post it sounds like it would probably be more expensive than to just go buy another helmet...

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
Depending on cost, if you could do that for a Pro-Tec/skateboard lid and price it competitively that would be *awesome*. Sell pre-printed and pre-cut wraps so that people can refurbish an old lid as opposed to coughing up the $60 for a Nutcase helmet.

Unfortunately from your earlier post it sounds like it would probably be more expensive than to just go buy another helmet...
This. Vinyl wraps unfortunately also aren't for the average DIYer, in my experience. Especially something as complex as a helmet. I watched the guy do our dragster, which is fairly angular and straightforward. Thought to myself no way I wanted to do that myself.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
Yeah, unfortunately wrapping is the anti-DIY. It's pretty f'n hard... Took me 3 helmets till I got one that was anything close to acceptable... Even watching someone do it thats a pro is like watching WC riders do their thing... They make it look easy.

Pricing is competitive with painting, but with wraps, theres a lot more possible. I have a HUGE background in all types of airbrush painting, and theres no way you can paint what you can design and print.

It's hard for people to understand sometimes that wrapping can cost even more then paint.

But, if you want something custom, you pay for what you get.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
Also, I heard of someone selling the prints for a helmet cheap (basically just making a small margin on materials and time) and letting the customer wrap it. I'm sure that guy made a killing selling them like 4 prints till they got it close to right...