Quantcast

Help a newb: Roadie clothes fitting 101

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Can anyone tell me the correct way to tell what size jersey/skinsuit I would need...or direct me to a chart; I can't seem to find one.

I just recieved my box full of team clothing for the year and It's waaay tight around the shoulders...Obviously it should be somewhat tight, but this was like 20 guys in a vw beetle tight.

To give you some info:

I'm 6ft tall
36in chest
the jersies/skinsuit are size medium.

Anyway, help a noob out, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

Thanks for any thoughts, whether pertinent to the thread or not.

Alex

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Do a google search for the brand as most companies have sizing charts.

Racer cut jerseys usually run at least a size smaller than you would normally wear.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
second what wumpus said. i've got 5 jerseys. all the "same size". 1 is way too small, 1 fits perfect, 1 is a little too big, and 2 are way too big. the first 3 are from the same charity ride, just successive years.

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
I've found sizing really hit or miss, especially between different manufacturers.

Really the best way to get sized correctly is to get a sample and try some stuff on. Even then it will sometimes be off. I know my road kit is pretty damn tight, especially the skinsuit, but I wouldn't call it "20 guys in a VW" tight.

Maybe a team mate missed their sizing and you can do a trade?

Cheers!
-Ian

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
goneskiian said:
I've found sizing really hit or miss, especially between different manufacturers.

Really the best way to get sized correctly is to get a sample and try some stuff on. Even then it will sometimes be off. I know my road kit is pretty damn tight, especially the skinsuit, but I wouldn't call it "20 guys in a VW" tight.

Maybe a team mate missed their sizing and you can do a trade?

Cheers!
-Ian

Thanks for the suggestions..I did eventually get it all sorted out as I ended up trading with a teammate as ian suggested.

thanks again,

alex

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Sizing is bizarre. Also, road oriented clothing is a pain on people with big shoulders/chests/arms. I lift weights a good amount (I'm not huge, though, by any stretch) and wear large shirts for almost everything. My 2 road-oriented jerseys (a Rabobank replica and my Middlebury College jersey) are freaking tight around my shoulders and arms. Looks like it's painted on. I look like a freak when I race DH in my Midd jersey.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Mention the manufacturer of the jersey. Euro jerseys are cut much tighter than American jerseys. Cycling wear is going to much snugger than t-shirt cut for example. You might try a large from another teammate.

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
JRogers said:
Sizing is bizarre. Also, road oriented clothing is a pain on people with big shoulders/chests/arms. I lift weights a good amount (I'm not huge, though, by any stretch) and wear large shirts for almost everything. My 2 road-oriented jerseys (a Rabobank replica and my Middlebury College jersey) are freaking tight around my shoulders and arms. Looks like it's painted on. I look like a freak when I race DH in my Midd jersey.
This is definitely true. I've got naturally broad shoulders and consequently all my long sleeve jerseys are really short in the sleeves. Road stuff is made for really narrow folks.

Cheers!
-Ian