Quantcast

Help getting started

dougbrummell

Chimp
Aug 22, 2005
Hey guys/girls

im entirley new to the sport, ive done all of the typical childhood riding a boy does, and maybe a little bit more jumping, but now im 16 and just gave up football for irrelevant reasons. With the extra time this has given me, id love to get into biking on a semi0serious level, i miss adrenaline rushes and i think this will be a great way to get some while helping stay in good shape. . .

so to the questions. . .

my bike, mongoose inferno (stock) http://bluecollarmtb.com/2004/12/19/2002-mongoose-inferno/

my rims are already out of true, so those need to be replaced,
i was looking for ideas on new rims and other reasonable upgrades that will make getting into this a safer, but more fun experience

also, im having a hard time finding trails to ride, i live in rochester ny, and the only place i ever rode was a rather nice personal dirtbike course that is now unavailable. . .id love to find some decent places to ride

any other advice??

thanks

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Instead of putting money into that bike, save up a little money for a better quality bike. The end of the year is coming up, so dealers will be trying to make space for the 06 bikes. You'll be able to find deals at the bike shops near your location

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
:stupid: Thats a good idea. And welcome to the sport. Funny thing is I ride all the time, but now I kinda put that aside for Football. But I will still ride during the season. Why did you stop playing may I ask?

And o yea, welcome to the monkey. :dancing:

dougbrummell

Chimp
Aug 22, 2005
as far as the bike goes, i doubt i will buy a new one, i have college next year, very expensive college most likely. . . and id can deal with putting 100-200 into this bike to make it rideable, id rather save up my money, so if i fall as in love with this as i probably will, i can go big, because i would eventually like to start downhilling after a while, and id feel a bit more sure about putting the money into a bike when those are the circumstances. . . perhaps you get where im coming from, perhaps not. . . but thats how the cookie crumbles for me

football wise, after 5 consecutive sectionals, three state champion victories and four attendances, the coach left, the senior class who were the majority of the kids i like, graduated, most other coaches left too, the new coach went from run heavy to spread no huddle, and he was a dousche bag and said if i did math league and science olympiads once a week, for one hour of practice i would never start, even if i was (and i was) the best d-end there, so i split. . . it sucks, but now i have more time to try new things. . . its a shame ill miss my senior year though. . . whatever, bigger things in life, eh?

dougbrummell

Chimp
Aug 22, 2005
can you reccomend any rims, the stock ones are crap. . . other than that i dont mind the system, its not great, but like i said, if i like it, ive already got 340 dollars burning a whole in my pocket, and i work steadily. . .what goods money for if you dont spend it on things that make you happy

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
dougbrummell said:
can you reccomend any rims, the stock ones are crap. . . other than that i dont mind the system, its not great, but like i said, if i like it, ive already got 340 dollars burning a whole in my pocket, and i work steadily. . .what goods money for if you dont spend it on things that make you happy
When you say "rims", I'm guessing you really mean "wheelset". Just getting the rims would mean that you need to get hubs and spokes and wheelbuild...

There are people who are upgrading from rim brakes to disk brakes - you could see about purchasing a used rim-brake wheelset. Ask around and look online for a set of wheels. You should be able to get out for $50-65 or so.

Good for you for not letting anyone tell you who you are! And there ARE bigger things in life. I transferred from a small high school to a much larger one (from grad class of 60 to 640) my sr year by my choice. My parents almost didn't let me, but it was the BEST decision I made as a 17-year-old. Going against all the expectations that have been laid out for you is really tough - my hat is off to you!

-sunny

dougbrummell

Chimp
Aug 22, 2005
thanks for the advice, and thanks for the support, not many people gave me any. . . i gotta tell you the community that mountain biking community has going has so far really impressed me. . . im going out to some trails by my work tommorow (that are supposedly hidden gems) tommorw at like 6ish, before work. . .maybe i should go to bed, so i can pull off 4 hours of sleep. . . but anyways, im psyched

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
if you are not looking to buy a new bike anytime soon.. put a minimum amount of money into it or better yet no money at all. as far as the wheels .. a good shop can ture them for you. if you can ride the bike as is ... just leave it and then try to save money to buy a new one.