syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Coming soon: Directed Energy Weapons

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/10/us_unveils_new.html

"Don't cook me, bro!"

dailymail.co.uk said:
And a document released under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act talks of "optimal pulse parameters to evoke peak nociceptor activation" - i.e. cause the maximum agony possible, leaving no permanent damage.

Perhaps the most alarming prospect is that such machines would make efficient torture instruments.

They are quick, clean, cheap, easy to use and, most importantly, leave no marks. What would happen if they fell into the hands of unscrupulous nations where torture is not unknown?

The agony the Raytheon gun inflicts is probably equal to anything in a torture chamber - these waves are tuned to a frequency exactly designed to stimulate the pain nerves.

I couldn't hold my finger next to the device for more than a fraction of a second. I could make the pain stop, but what if my finger had been strapped to the machine?

Dr John Wood, a biologist at UCL and an expert in the way the brain perceives pain, is horrified by the new pain weapons.

"They are so obviously useful as torture instruments," he says.

"It is ethically dubious to say they are useful for crowd control when they will obviously be used by unscrupulous people for torture."

We use the word "medieval" as shorthand for brutality. The truth is that new technology makes racks look benign.
Benjamin Franklin said:
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Gandhi does lose some of his magic if you picture him shouting "don't tase me, bro" in a thick Indian accent.
Then it'd be "Do not tase me, bro!" I think he'd drop the contraction.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wondered about that myself, but other than to dispute Westy, it isn't relevant at all.

COPS ARE PEOPLE TOO!

HUG A COP TODAY!
(but be careful... it might be misconstrued and could end badly.)
I feel so disproven. Lord knows that whenever you can call up a handfull of examples it shows that it is true for all cases.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
I feel so disproven. Lord knows that whenever you can call up a handfull of examples it shows that it is true for all cases.
I didn't even provide a handful, just one. Funking crappy proof if you ask me.

I didn't go looking for it or anything, it just came to me in my daily webcrawl.

Anyhow, It's really an interesting article in that it says the cop was actually shot 4 times, and 3 of them were self-inflicted. Impressive. Ain't no way a taser would work on a guy that was able to shoot himself repeatedly. Talk about power, strength and self-control.

It's a stretch at best that it has anything to do with the incident in question.

I'm sorry, Westy. Can you say something funny now?
It would really brighten my day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I didn't even provide a handful, just one. Funking crappy proof if you ask me.

I didn't go looking for it or anything, it just came to me in my daily webcrawl.

Anyhow, It's really an interesting article in that it says the cop was actually shot 4 times, and 3 of them were self-inflicted. Impressive. Ain't no way a taser would work on a guy that was able to shoot himself repeatedly. Talk about power, strength and self-control.

It's a stretch at best that it has anything to do with the incident in question.

I'm sorry, Westy. Can you say something funny now?
It would really brighten my day.
Pogonotrophy

That is pretty funny, at least as a single word goes.