Quantcast

Help me become a better photographer and critique these

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
So I brought my D50 and 18-55mm lens along with me downhilling this past weekend (full ride report in that forum) and attempted to grab a few shots on our way down the mountain. Have no idea what I am doing (probably evident) but would like to improve the quality and composition of the shots I am taking. So please offer up some feedback! Thanks.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
You need a faster shutter speed to stop the action, or pan with the rider to blur the background. Get a flash unit, and not the pop-up on that came with your camera. I'm seeing too much depth of field for my tastes in this type of photo, get faster glass.

Composition is fairly good on the first one, riding into the frame, and is located on one of the "power points" (Rule of Thirds). The second one, the rider is centered in the frame. Try shooting from a lower angle, it makes the drops look bigger.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
You need a faster shutter speed to stop the action, or pan with the rider to blur the background. Get a flash unit, and not the pop-up on that came with your camera. I'm seeing too much depth of field for my tastes in this type of photo, get faster glass.

Composition is fairly good on the first one, riding into the frame, and is located on one of the "power points" (Rule of Thirds). The second one, the rider is centered in the frame. Try shooting from a lower angle, it makes the drops look bigger.
Tried to pan a little bit on the second one, but I'm guessing that my shutter speed was too fast to get a blurry enough background. Did pick up a 50mm 1.8 to supplement my 18-55 though, so the faster glass part is covered (limited range of course). When you say get a flash do you mean a larger on camera unit? Or are you referring to a remote flash set up?

I'll try to get down a little lower next time, thanks for the tip.

How bout a different rider?
Given that Joe is my only riding friend, I think I'm out of options on that one. :(

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Get a larger on-camera unit and a set of remote triggers. The best (and most expensive) are Pocket Wizards, but others can be had for significantly less money and they can fire the flash unit.

BTW, faster, shorter glass will run you serious cash. I'm a Canon shooter, and my go-to lens for close stuff is the 17-40 f4L. It retails for $750. I also have a nice long lens, the 100-400 f4.5-5.6L that set me back $1250 used.

If you want faster, be prepared to pay 2-3 times that for the same focal length.

Did I mention that this is a REALLY expensive hobby?