Help me heal faster and stay fit..

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Well I broke my collarbone 2 weeks ago.. that seriously messed up my "plan" :D

2 questions for the monkeys out there:

1- Any tip on faster healing?
I try not to move my arm too much obviously, I walk a bit and still do part of my leg routine at the gym. anything else at this point? calcium pills?

2- How not to get overly out of shape?
I cannot run yet and cycling gets me way hot since I cannot wear teeshirts yet :(
Should I just walk a ton?
I already reduced nmy intake but it's not that easy!
Any cool suggestions?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well if it's a coolar bone i guess you're in a sling right.
So maybe you can go a trainer with one arm.
It might just be better to rest alot that way all your energy goes to healing.

Broken

Chimp
Oct 15, 2002
somewhere but not sure where
I shattered mine while riding on the first of sept. Finally got to where I can take big drops again. I was in a figure 8 sling instead of a regular arm sling so I still had the use of both my arms just couldnt lift, push or pull with my right one very much. I still worked out on a stationary bike while I was down and did some minor street riding on my kona after about 5 weeks or so. Just give it about 8 weeks and you should be fine just dont take really nasty drops and if you do eat it, "tuck and roll grandma"

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
I'm recently coming off a fractured scapula. I was in a sling for 5 weeks. The first week of the injury I took it easy then I started to walk everyday. It took about 2 months of PT to get my motion back and then I started riding a stationary bike, running ect. By the time I got back on the trails I didn't skip a beat. It was like I had been riding the whole time. Take it slow, walk first. After it starts to heal more, then you can start the running or stationary bike. Walking seemed to do the trick though. But I didn't start the other stuff for about a month. PT was a real bitch too.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Thanks everyone for the advice!!

I saw the doctor today.. Said it's healing well but I need to keep my figure 8 for 3 more weeks (so 6 total)..
He said I can put sleeves on though :D I will finally be able to put Tshirt on.. Better for pedaling / walking at the gym..

I lost 4 pounds aslready :(
I know it's all muscle mass too... Sucks :(

Thanks again for the support!

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
hmmmm
calcium supplements won't do anything if you're under 25-30 or say, since your body is already producing enough on its own

I'm coming off a sprained neck, separated shoulder, and torn rotator cuff.

If you're in a sling, work on range of motion after about 2weeks/10 days. Shoulders like to freeze up.

Id say jsut hop on the trainer/stationary bike and pedal pedal pedal until you can get out for some nice road/xc rides.