Rims: Alloy Double-wall , Brushed Sidewall, 36H
Hubs: Alloy 36H QR
Freewheel: Shimano 7speed
Tires: Kenda 26"x2.1"
Handlebar: Steel, Black Stem Alloy 1-1/8"
Saddle: Velo Saddle Post Alloy with QR Seat Lever
Pedals: Steel with Resin Body

Here is the link:
http://www.bikemania.biz/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Firmstrong_Landale&CartID=1

Micargi (SM3000) Stats:

SPECIFICATION  
FRAME ALUMINUM ALLOY FRAME, AROUND 18.5"
FORK DOWNHILL DOUBLE FORGED MCU SPRING PRESSURE SUSPENSION
HANDLEBAR & STEM ALUMINUM ALLOY
CHAINWHEEL ALLOY 24/34/42T
RIMS 26" ALLOY FLAME TREATED DOUBLE WALL WITH FRONT QUICK RELEASE
DERAILLEUR 21-SPEED, SHIFTERS: SHIMANO ST-EF29, FREEWHEEL: SHIMANO MF-HG40-7SPD, DERAILLEUR: SHIMANO TY40
BRAKES FRONT/REAR DISK BRAKES
SEATPOST ALLOY W/Quick Release

Here is the link:
http://www.bikebuyers.com/SM3000.htm

Please tell me why you tell me to pick the one you choose. I know these are not top dollar bikes but is there anything specific about these bikes that is junk? Is there anything I would have to upgrade if I bought either of them? I am new to mountainbikeing and I am trying to just get more active. I am 32 5'8" and 210 lbs. I want to ride in the woods near my house they are old logging trails not actual "bike trails".

The big question is they both have a full suspension, front and rear disc, 21 speeds. I do not know what is good or bad as far as shimano derailers are concerned. I am mostly concerned with how it will last? Will I always be buying parts to fix it, or riding it? If I do need parts or upgrades are they usually specific per the bike or are most parts/upgrades a industry standard.

Also the frame design One has a high pivot and one has a low pivot. How will these designs effect the pedal bounce or feedback and can that be limioted by buying a better shock?

Thanks in advance for all your help guys.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I would stayaway from full suspension at that price range.

Maybe a Specialized HardRock XC for $290?
click here
Hardrock sport for $330
click here
Or a Giant Boulder for under $300(no exact price on Giants web site)
click here

Any of these bikes are going to be better in the long run than the full suspension bikes you listed. rigid bikes are less maintenance, and may be lighter...more importantly it usually comes with some better components AND a local bike shop prep/warranty/tune up for you.

Rhino
I jsut bought a Spec HardRock Pro 2003 last year and have a blast riding it on trails and such. I am a big (Fat) guy and this frame is strong enough for my trail riding needs.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I agree w/ RhinofromWA
If you spend just a little more for a better quality bike you will have less headaches trying to fix broken or out of tune components.

All those bikes he mentioned are excellent for beginners.

But, here's my $.02
Trek 3700 $309.99 msrp

Specialized Rockhopper $410 msrp

most parts/upgrades a industry standard
Rear derailleurs, 7/8/9 speed are universal
V-brakes, levers, shifters are universal

Front derailleurs come in different clamp sizes for the seattube, but they all do the same thing - move the chain up and down the front rings.

Preference items[for bike fit] are saddles, seatposts, stems, handlebars, grips - these come in all different sizes/lengths.

I do suggest that you goto your local bike shop and test ride the entry level mountain bikes they offer. Because they can help you with proper fit so you don't feel uncomfortable riding.

Good luck with your choice and welcome to the wonderful world of mountain biking

Deavis

Chimp
May 3, 2004
Awww that is terrible I had my heart set on the full suspension. As usual I have a chapane taste and a beer budget. If I insited and had to learn the hard way wich one?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Deavis
Awww that is terrible I had my heart set on the full suspension. As usual I have a chapane taste and a beer budget. If I insited and had to learn the hard way wich one?
2003 Giant Warp3 $300-600 range

Lowest FS bike I would go for. If you are in that price range....and that is mighty low on the rung but miles ahead of the options you chose. Everything is better on this Giant over what you show as listed. I would look around for left overs bikes and closeouts of old models.

I suggest a padded bicycle short over the FS you choose as it will give you a better ride than what they will offer.

You have Champagne dreams on a tap water budget. Tap water is good to drink but won't get you drunk. ;)