Quantcast

help me please-

frodos444

Chimp
Dec 11, 2006
need to know what the mininum tool kit is for mountain biking and also if the kit is better bike mounted or body fitted. Any views would be appreciated even if you are just making it up,

cheers the little furry fella!

frodos444

Chimp
Dec 11, 2006
c an anyone tell me what the minimum tool kit required when mountain biking and also where it is best kept, Is it best on the bike or on the body, Any comments are appreciated even if you are mad.....

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hmmm, I'd say a spare tube, tire levers, a pump or co2 cartridge and a good multitool with a chain repair tool and allen wrenches. Oh, and duct tape. I carry those items in the little bag on my seatpost. I hate a lot of stuff in my jersey pockets.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Yup...I think that about covers it. Except I always make sure I have an extra bar or gu (beyond what I think I'll need). Never know when you'll get lost and need a bit more energy.

I am a camelbak gal and keep it all in there.

Also, keep a piece of paper with emergency names and contact numbers on you just in case.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yup...I think that about covers it. Except I always make sure I have an extra bar or gu (beyond what I think I'll need). Never know when you'll get lost and need a bit more energy.

I am a camelbak gal and keep it all in there.

Also, keep a piece of paper with emergency names and contact numbers on you just in case.
I do the same. I also have some bandaids, benadryl and a small leatherman in my camelbak.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Camelback here as well. I usually carry:
pump, spare tube, repair kit, multi tool, chain braker, electrical tape?, basic first aid stuff, mobile phone, spare chain link (quick link type), presta to schrader converter thingy, cigarette lighter (no I don't smoke!) and that's about it I think, maybe a few non essentials - I reckon should probably throw in a pocket knife if the multitool doesn't have one.

If you mainly ride on the trail I reckon a saddle bag or camelbak is easiest - you don't have to worry about getting it all together & into your jersey all the time.

All the gear basically lives in my camelbak which I take regardless of wether it's a 2hr ride or a trip down the street (when I put the lock in there too).

I guess as a minimum I'd carry a phone, puncture kit, multi tool & pump, because walking home and carrying a bike suuuux.

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
Don't forget zip ties!!! And if you run a SRAM chain, an extra master link. And if you have aging eyes like mine, a pair of reading glasses is a must. Try fixing a broken chain when you can't see it. LOL.....

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I know you said toolkit but if we're broadening that to mean what we bring riding, I'd say extra clothes. Being from the PNW I'm extra aware of that as the weather is so variable. Things that are thin but pack a punch are arm and leg warmers, skull cap, thin coated rain jacket. Don't forget you could get lost and have to spend the night...

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
lol do u guys/girls have like a baggage train following u or sumthing i take a set of hex wrenches a helmet and a camelbak and hit the trail and havent had a problem yet
hahaha.. i just go riding with my guys. they ALWAYS have a set of tools on them.

funny thing was once, this kid's tire was hitting his fork. i was the only one, among a group of about 10 guys that had been riding for 2 years plus, that knew how to true a wheel. i fixed it enough so it was ridable and would actually roll.

most importantly, possess the skills to do minor repairs. if you have the tools, but no know-how, you are just as equally stranded.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Just a note since you may not know Frodo: every bolt on a bike is metric. So if you get allen wrenches, get metric, not standard.

A bicycle specific tool would probably be better anyway.