Quantcast

Help me spend my tax return, time to pick a fork, 40, boxxer, 888?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I was gonna buy a new bike, but then I thought I would do something a little more fiscally responsible. so i am just going to buy a new fork.

I have a fox fork on my XC bike and I really like it, it's been smooth, good feel, etc.
I had a marz on a previous bike and it was ok, never felt awesome, but the customer service was great, and the fork worked fairly well except for once where it needed to be sent back for a new damper.
RS - Currently riding a domain, it's ok, doesn't feel terrible, doesn't feel great, I'm aware it's a budget minded fork.

Fox40, saw some new tradeshow, bike model take offs for $999 somewhere, non kashima
Boxxer, seems pretty good value for the $
888, never really seen one in person.

I want something that I don't have to modify, so custom cartidges and all that jazz are out.
I want something that is fairly easy to service, I don't have any problem servicing something so long as I have a repair manual or guide to get me through the first service.
I am a set it and forget it kind of guy, I may add a click or two here and there as I see fit, but once I get it dialed in I don't like to change it a lot from track to track.

Is the fox 40 with kashima worth that much extra $$? will I really notice a difference?
Is going from my domain to a "good" fork worth the extra cash? I think so, and would probably feel more confident having a little extra travel and a fork that is better overall.

I am leaning towards the fox just based on my previous experience with other fox products, I'm kinda brand loyal like that.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Wat do you like ????

-quality
-lightest weight possible
-futur replacement parts
-stiffness
-crap
-be in the crowd of fanboys

pretty much you want a 40,cause fox aint going nowhere.And yes you want kashima.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Here's a cool story bro... a friend of me on 40's did an upgrade to his 2011 oem fork and got 2012 Kashima stanchions. Sure, the difference was noticeable, but not really worth the price. Another friend sent his in for a service and got the new SKF seals, it's way more noticeable.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Wat do you like ????

-quality
-lightest weight possible
-futur replacement parts
-stiffness
-crap
-be in the crowd of fanboys

pretty much you want a 40,cause fox aint going nowhere.And yes you want kashima.
  • I like quality.
  • I am not a weight weenie.
  • I like durability.
  • Replacement parts are always good, are you even serious with that one?
  • Stiffness is good (as in stiff chassis, stanchions, axle, etc), as is a fork that moves through it's travel nicely.
  • Crap, I need to take one right now, thanks for reminding me.
  • I drive a truck with dents, I don't ride a super cool boutique bike, and I don't care that I don't have a really super duper cool set of wheels with a clicky hub. So I don't really give a **** what the fan boys think.

I'm also not really all that fast, I am a weekend warrior/middle of the pack amature at best, but I don't want to buy crap, and I want to enjoy riding my bike, because that's what I do, I enjoy riding my bike and trying my hand at racing it.

Why do I want to spend the extra money on Kashima? What is it going to do for the extra $$?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Here's a cool story bro... a friend of me on 40's did an upgrade to his 2011 oem fork and got 2012 Kashima stanchions. Sure, the difference was noticeable, but not really worth the price. Another friend sent his in for a service and got the new SKF seals, it's way more noticeable.
I am a fan of cool stories from bro's when they are helpful, what are the skf seals and what do they do differently?

so you are telling me that in your eyes the kashima did not make a big enough difference to justify the additional cost? Personal experience is good info.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
You want a 40.

Parts is more aimed towards rumours of marz being sold.

All the guys I know personally on 888ti's LOVE em.

Its going to be a personal pick within the 2.

I love the 40 for numerous reasons,to its performance,stiffness and axle.
Just all around great fork,very light to if you ask me for its size of chassis.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
If I'm not mistaken, I think Fox took one out of Marzocchi's playbook by using the SKF seals. Seems more proven to me than Kashima for buttery smoothness.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
for 2012 fox redesigned the seals for their forks and had SKF the seal company make them. they are lower friction, and made a huge difference when i put them in my TALAS 32 and my old Boxxer (yes you read that right). they are backwards compatible, so if you decide on a 2011 the better seals will still work.

kashima is nice, it resists abrasions better. i wouldn't pay out the pants for it, but they do feel very smooth. it might also be the answer to the weird wear i've seen on a lot of fox forks (near the dust wipers, most times you don't see it until you actually take the fork apart for service).

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
honestly. The all will be a big upgrade. all will allow you to have fun.

here is my oppinion on all. (speaking for US customers) I understand service is different in different countries

Marz- really reliable, maybe the a little on the heavier side but not by much (no experiance with service or warranty)

Fox- also really reliable, solid performance, service is a bit slow in the US (from my experiance)

Boxxer- Awesome if maintained well, if not maintained properly they will not run well. By maintained well i mean keep up on services and change seals when they need to be replaced not after. warranty and service is second to none

All these forks are top quality and they all will be worth the money if you are willing to treat them like high quality parts.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
so you are telling me that in your eyes the kashima did not make a big enough difference to justify the additional cost? Personal experience is good info.
The major difference in Kashima is durability, it resists wear a lot better than the regular hard anodizing which some Fox forks have had trouble with in the past.

If you are already partial to Fox products, I doubt you'll be anything but impressed with the new 40 - but don't skimp and get an older / cheaper one. The 2012 is brilliant with the Kashima, SKF Seals, and inverted damper. If you want to save money, you could find a 2011 (Kashima) which will have all the performance of the 2012 (same damper too), and you can install the SKF seals later if you want.

If you get the 2011/2012 Kashima 40, you won't have to mess around with damper changes or mods, both of them work very well out of the box.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Well, the point is that it is indeed pretty noticeable.

On the other side, I'm on a 888 EVO Ti and loving it. If I of some reason were in need of a new fork I would get another Marzocchi, no doubt. Super performance and a great service (not that they really it very frequently, duh) center in my city is a no-brainer.

One of my F40 friends sent his fork across the country for a complete overhaul a month ago and got them back a week later. The reason why they were so quick was that they haven't touched it, just returned it. So he had to send it back again and now, three weeks later he received it fully serviced. But the whole servicecenter argument is pretty weak because it could be the complete opposite for you.

Even with the SKF seals, they have more stiction than my 888. He likes a pretty "stiff" setup, so he wasn't a big fan of the 888 EVO because he said it felt like it was TOO compliant so he didn't get enough feedback from the terrain, but with the new V2 he's considering it as it's more "racey" and it's matching his new rear shock better.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
yup, 888 really mutes the terrain, i was wary of front end slides since i couldn't feel when the front wheel lost traction when i got mine. i got used to it though but it was quite scary in the beginning.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I felt the proper 2012 40 had lower stiction than the 888 Evo once both were broken in. They are close though and probably to the point of splitting hairs.

I'd be happy to run the new 888 V2 - assuming it has shimmed rebound damping now. It's also a little lighter than the Fox.

One other thing I like about the 40 is that you get an external HSC adjuster, which is something I find useful to tailor to different tracks without having to re-valve anything.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
don't 2012 Fox 40s come with Ti spring as standard?

2011 did as well.

Anything OEM ( well maybe the new session 9.9 is ecception as well as others )

wen you buy the fork alone,you get the kashimas and the ti spring.

98% sure OEM ones come with steel springs.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Incredibly strong recommendation for one of them with a lot of vitriol for the others. An insult on your intelligence for even considering one of them, and telling others who recommend differently that they are the dumbest people alive.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Incredibly strong recommendation for one of them with a lot of vitriol for the others. An insult on your intelligence for even considering one of them, and telling others who recommend differently that they are the dumbest people alive.
really helpful post....not so much

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
1) I want something that I don't have to modify, so custom cartidges and all that jazz are out.
2) I want something that is fairly easy to service, I don't have any problem servicing something so long as I have a repair manual or guide to get me through the first service.
3) I am a set it and forget it kind of guy, I may add a click or two here and there as I see fit, but once I get it dialed in I don't like to change it a lot from track to track.
1) I'm pretty much of the same mindset but I DO like to tinker a bit with the internals if the fork can't do what I want it to do out of the box (personal pref / ride characteristics). After that, it's just a matter of turning adjusters to fine-tune a particular track.

Q1: What is your riding skill level? (In GES terms: Pro, Cat.1, Cat.2, Cat.3)

Q2: Where do you spend most of your time riding?

Q3: What do you look for in suspension performance?
A) Plushness with excellent HSC sensitivity?
B) Progressive end-stroke?
C) Linear end stroke?
D) Snappy Rebound stroke with a bit of "pop"?
E) Excellent mid-stroke support and/or limited brake dive?

2) This depends on what you define as "service". Some guys like to do a complete tear down while others just like to change the oil in the lowers (if it's a closed system - think Boxxers). If you like to go balls-deep then servicing a 40 down to the FiT damper is a bit tricky for the experienced, and definitely a challenge for those who have never boldly gone in that direction before. If something really goes south with the FiT cart, that means mailing it back to FOX. Not a problem, but something you should be aware of.
Changing Oil:
Lowers - 40's just require you to pull the lowers, drain, clean, then reassemble. Same for Boxxers and 888's too if I recall correctly.
Dampers - Fairly simple procedure to service the oil inside the dampers of Boxxers and 888's. Between the 2 Boxxers are a bit less messy. 40's have a sealed FiT cart that usually requires you to mail back to FOX for servicing, although it is possible to do it yourself, but more involved than a Boxxer or 888.

Boxxers and 40's have service manuals all over the web, but 888's... not sure. Does anyone know if Marz has released a detailed 888 service manual for 2012 forks?

3) This relates to #1) a bit. It depends on what you are looking for in fork performance. Depending on what you prefer in performance, may eliminate 1 or 2 choices. The Boxxer WC and R2D2/C3PO have loads of useful adjustmenst for tuning almost every aspect of fork performance. The 40 and 888 have less rider adjustments but are very useful in adjusting fork behavior.

Most of these repsonses are in general terms, but if you can answer these questions this can help specify the direction you need to go.

Hope this helps!

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
1) I want something that I don't have to modify, so custom cartidges and all that jazz are out.
2) I want something that is fairly easy to service, I don't have any problem servicing something so long as I have a repair manual or guide to get me through the first service.
3) I am a set it and forget it kind of guy, I may add a click or two here and there as I see fit, but once I get it dialed in I don't like to change it a lot from track to track.
you want a rc3 evo

Boxxers and 40's have service manuals all over the web, but 888's... not sure. Does anyone know if Marz has released a detailed 888 service manual for 2012 forks?
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Team-CRCNukeproof-Tech-Sessions-MSA-Fork-Strip-Build-2011.html

https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=546270

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
xxer or 888.

nothing like what fox or RS has available to the public, but they are available to LBS's.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
fox 40, thassit, enough said. Its strong, rides real good, and has been consistently improving on the same chassis, IMO, pretty darn dialed

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
i just got a 2012 888 rc3 evo v2 non ti today...it is stunningly smooth. i'm absolutely stunned. a touch heavier than i'd like...i'm thinking maybe i should have gone TI...but i'm so stoked

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
888 rebuild video
Pretty useless, it's just how to change seals. Revalving and getting into the rebound and compression stacks and that type of stuff is probably what people are more interested in.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Im surprised how many are recommending the fox and Marzochi and how few are suggesting the boxxer. As someone who's not as up on the technology and not a hardcore racer who's just getting into the full Dh stuff I assumed the boxxer would have gotten more praise. Im curious why it doesn't?

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Pretty useless, it's just how to change seals. Revalving and getting into the rebound and compression stacks and that type of stuff is probably what people are more interested in.
Op asked about a service-manual and don't want to touch shimstacks and that stuff.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Im surprised how many are recommending the fox and Marzochi and how few are suggesting the boxxer. As someone who's not as up on the technology and not a hardcore racer who's just getting into the full Dh stuff I assumed the boxxer would have gotten more praise. Im curious why it doesn't?
Boxxers are still one of the best race forks out there. The new versions (model year 2010 and later) allow the rider to tune the following via adjusters:

High Speed Compression (HSC) - Landings from drops, square-edged hits
Low Speed Compression (LSC) - Small bumps, rocks, trail impefections

High Speed Rebound (HSR) - Rebound from drops, square edged hits
Low Speed Rebound (LSR) - Rebound from small bumps, rocks, etc.

Bottom Out - Tunes resistance to bottoming out the fork

Pre Load - used to fine tune sag

The reason not many have mentioned the Boxxer is that FOX and Marz have released new upgrades for their 2012 model year forks, so right now those are the ones with the highest profile. FOX added a deeper Kashi coat and SKF seals to the 40 and Marz redesigned their piston assembly (now called the V2) to add more mid-stroke support. Additionally both companies have had major releases in previous years: FOX with the inverted damper in 2011 so now you could FINALLY tune the damn compression adjuster without having to get off your bike and give your fork a reach-around and Marz with its successful and triumphant return in 2010 to good quality forks comparable to the older Italian-made 888's from 04' to 07'. The Boxxer has remained mostly unchanged from 2011 for the 2012 model year with the exception of Keronite coated lowers which is basically a ceramic coating that is used in place of powder coat.

If you are not a hardcore racer and don't really know what your suspension set-up preferences are (check my post on the previous page) then I would recommend the Boxxer R2C2. It's easy to service, reliable, is highly tuneable so you can really get some experience with suspension adjustments and what they do, and it is much less expensive than either the 40 or the 888.

Just my suggestion though - others may have more compelling points of view.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Surprised no one has mentioned "any used or new fork chassi"+Avy cart. That will perform as good or better than anything else, easily tunable (just rearranged stack last week), amazing performance. You can have better performance for less if you do it right, then spend the leftover on some other nice bling.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Kickstand said this in his first post:

So, no aftermarket goodies.
exactly. I've been on my phone and haven't had a chance to respond to your other post where you asked some specific questions, but so far you've showed you have a pretty good grasp on this stuff.

Overall im leaning to wards fox and boxxer, just not overly excited about my previous Marzochi experience.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Because they are a second rate fork that doesn't deserve to be mentioned next to a 40/888 and especially a Dorado. Like I always say, boxxers are my favorite fork for my shuttle friends to ride, because we usually end up with a driver by the first or second run.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
^^ you say that but I have run them for a while now problem free. If you know your way around a service and are not lazy they are the best feeling fork out there IMO.

I have never rode a dorado but would like to see how it stacks up.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
^^ you say that but I have run them for a while now problem free. If you know your way around a service and are not lazy they are the best feeling fork out there IMO.

I have never rode a dorado but would like to see how it stacks up.
That's the thing, you shouldn't have to service them that much. My 888 gets 1 maybe 2 rebuilds a year. Seals once every 2 years. And even just before the rebuild, after hundreds of thousands of feet of vert (well, maybe 100-200), boxxer owners will hop on my fork and be impressed with how it feels...and it's 4 years old. I'm 220 pounds, and ride reasonably hard. Not pro hard of course, but hard.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
If your talking about how often it needs to be serviced, YES an 888 will win. but for me, I ride hard and I ride often and its not a bother for me to take 20-30 minutes once a month and care for it.

do people buy a ferrari because they get good milage and you never have to change the oil? no they buy them because they perform better than the rest. or they are filthy rich but thats a deferent conversation