Quantcast

Help me with this bike.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I'm moving from a HT to a full suspension. I have been looking at the Enduro Expert, but started wondering about weight. Are the Enduro on the heavy side. Does anyone have any first hand experience? I'd like a good full suspension, but a good climber as well.

Thanks - JSB

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
An Enduro is a great FS bike that climbs very well. If I recall, it was mountain bike of the year for '01 based on the newer features. They can also take some mild heat too. I have a couple friends that have them and there are quite a few here on the monkey too.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I looked into getting one of these when I was looking at bikes. Nothing really felt better for the money then the Enduro. You had good parts, solid suspension design, and good warrenty on the frame. I got the bike I did because I got a better deal then the LBS had on it. Otherwise I'd be on an enduro right now.

I wouldn't think twice about getting an enduro. They are very solid, great FR/XC type bikes. Just don't go trying to huck off something or do heavy drops as I don't think the fox shock in the back will likey.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
The most I've dropped is 3 feet. I do mainly XC riding. Good, thanks for the reassurance. I think I'm going to like this bike. I road it in the shop, but they didn't want me to demo it, with out knowing if I was really going to buy it. Now I need to sell my HT.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Hey... glad you made it to the board!

The Enduro is a great all purpose bike... it will descend, climb, and drop very well. It was in the final 3 before I decided on my Yeti 575. There are several people riding enduros on the board - do a seach and you'll get tons of info.

One thing about weight... it's not the bottom line that matters - i.e. not all 28lb trail bikes are created equal. A bike with more weight in the wheels/tires is going to feel heavier than one with weight in the cranks. Be aware of how much the wheelset and the fork weighs on the different bikes you are considering - they can vary a great deal.

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
the enduro's are sweet bikes. but if you ride them hard the rear links tend to crack cause i have seen it happen a couple of times. but other than that they are just great bikes.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Hey Jackson...yep I made it. I've been just lurking for a bit.

I'm selling an 03 GF Tassajara. Just had a major tune up. Picked it up Friday, and took it out Saturday for a 20 mile ride. It felt great.

I'm kind of ticked though...they sold the enduro expert they had. I demoed a Cake 2 delux, and a stumper jumper. I hated the forks on the Cake, and I hated the brakes on the StumpJumper. The Cake was cool, except I was nervous about the new design. I like to wait and see how the designs pan out before jumping into it. The new StumpJumper has a new designed frame as well, but it's not much different. The Cake felt light, and had the 5 inches. I think I'm going to just keeping looking right now. My HT is treating me right, and no one is knocking down my doors to buy it. Plus my fence got blown over in a storm Saturday night, so I need to check what that's going to set me back.

I'd like some input on the two bikes I demoed though. Any pros or cons, on these two bikes?

Thanks,
Jeremy

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
duct tape outta set the fence straight. personally, enduros are some of the best, value packed aggro-ish trailbikes.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
A few thoughts:
-Like everyone else said, Enduro's are great.
-Just because the shop sold the one that they had doesn't mean that its the last one in the world
-I think that the Expert has very good parts? Like mostly LX and XT? I would try to get a bike with LX minimum. A bit of Deore should not be a deal-killer. It is a solid, well-performing group.
-If you don't get an Enduro, make sure the bike you do get has disc brakes. They are that good.
-For what you can sell the Tassajara for, I would just keep it. A back-up bike can be can be invaluable if your primary ride is in the shop or unrideable in some way.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Well, I'm fixing the fence. I don't have time to build one my self, and my neighbor I share it with would rather have someone build it for us. So they start Monday. With that said, I found a deal on a bike I couldn't pass on so I've bought both. I should be hurting for a short while for that blow. I had no luck finding another enduro at that price so I figured I'd look in the pre-owned market. What I found was a Titus Racer-X. I've taken a spin on my friends and liked it, and the price was pretty desent. So I bought it. They tried to deliver it yesterday, but I wasn't home, so I should have it today. You may have seen it, the guy had it listed on ebay. He through in an extra set of tires, and extra rotor for the brakes, and a set of egg beaters with some shoes he only tried once. He didn't like them and they're my size so I thought why not. THe only thing I plan on changing but not right away is the fork. It has an 03 duke on there, and I've read some crappy things about them. Anyway, tell me what you think.
Also if any one know what I should use to remove the stickers let me know. The top tube sticker is scratched and I would rather remove it anyway. I don't want to mess up the Ionized job though. - Thanks

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
wow... nice ride! Titus makes some nice rigs, and it sounds like you made out pretty well. I didn't read through the entire post, but what was the other bike you bought? You said you found a great deal you couldn't pass up, so you bought both...

As for the duke - ride it a while before you do anything. If you hate it, change it out. If not, ride it till it dies. Don't base your decision just on what other people think of the fork.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Thanks! I put it together last night after work, and I'm a litte PISSED :angry:

BTW, Jackson...I was looking at an enduro expert but they sold it before I decided to buy. Then my fence blew down, and decided to fix that and wait on a new bike. I found this one, and could resist the temptation so I bought it plus having a new fence put up. Now to why I'm PISSED :angry:

The bike was flawless except for a few scratches on the sticker on the top tube. FedEx or someone between the bike shop boxing it up and it getting to my door dinged the sh!t out of the lower bar next to the water bottle mounts. I'm not happy about that at all. I did have enough time before the rain started again to take a few spins up my street, walked a few curbs to test the Duke. The Duke felt nicer than expected. I think I might just use it until it dies like jackson mentioned. Of course a curb isn't a trail but with all the rain I'm getting around here I may not see the trail for a while. In June we only had 5 days with no rain, and the trail right by my house was flooded in parts. Now the rain is starting again...dang it!

Anyway, the bike is amazing. So much lighter. The disc brakes are so nice. I can't say enough about it. To answer the price question...before I do, I know I could have found one a little cheaper, but I've also seen them for more. So when I add the fact I love the blue ionized frame, it was in my size, and it has avid disc, xtr derailers, cranks, BB, and shifters. He gave me the egg beaters w/cleats, and a basically new pair of shoes, an extra rotor in packaging, and an extra set of tires, I couldn't pass. With that said I paid $2k even. Now I couldn't touch a new bike for that with those components. So let me have it...good deal or bad?

BTW, it might be less than that when I get done with FedEx, or a new frame maybe...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
JSB said:
The bike was flawless except for a few scratches on the sticker on the top tube. FedEx or someone between the bike shop boxing it up and it getting to my door dinged the sh!t out of the lower bar next to the water bottle mounts. I'm not happy about that at all.
wow... that sucks dude. Good luck with FedEx or whoever is responsible for the damage.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
jacksonpt said:
wow... that sucks dude. Good luck with FedEx or whoever is responsible for the damage.
Yep...the seller is being super cool about it. He's going to talk to the shop that boxed it up for him, and I'm probably going to contact FedEx. I'll show you a pic of it tonight when I get home. I don't think it's going to effect anything, but it still pisses you off, you know. I'll find out more next week I guess.

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Be sure to take a bunch of pics of the box and the damaged items. Compare with the pictures of the bike before it was shipped (get all pics from the seller). Have those handy when you talk to the Fed-Ex/UPS guys.

I've had frames damaged and items lost. It is a hassle to deal with the UPS/Fed-Ex guys on the phone (all they do is read you the guidelines of making an insurance claim... it is a waste of time). Go to a distrubution center and make a stand. I've done that several times and I get quicker results.

-CAbiker

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Well...I guess this thread has changed course, but oh well.
I just filed my claim. I had to file it online. Now I have to send them my documentation proving the damage. Once they have that they said it would be 5 to 7 days. They are going to freak out with they process this one. At least I would. They may do this everyday, I don't know. Anyway I stated the replacement value at $1735.00 That's how much a LBS quoted me on the frame. It was insured for $2000.00. It should be pretty straight forward, but I bet it won't be a smooth road ahead. They'll probably resist some, when it comes to claims everybody does. I'm hoping they don't argue the fact that it's still ridable, and the dent is cosmetic. Even if that is true, I feel they should either replace it to the condition I bought it or reimburse me some of my money. Is that not fair?