Quantcast

Help with Commencal Meta AM

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
So im currently riding a 2013 Commencal Meta AM as my XC/AM/Endurbro bike and was thinking about selling it together with my DH bike to get something in the lines of a Bronson.
Im a bit of a SC whore but I just dont ride enough anymore to justify buying one at the moment. Upgrading the Meta also means I get to keep the v10 and spend more money on Scotch.

However, its an older bike and even though the frame and shocks are fine the drivetrain is showing its age.
I know its also got those old 26" wheels and nobody would want to be seen on such a barbaric contraption, but since Im gonna have moar whisky, less fucks could not be given.

Current drivetrain is a Shimano setup with a 1x10 ONE with XTR cranks and Im running Hope hubs. Its also still got a chainguide but I want to get rid of it and get a narrow wide ring up front.
Id like to switch to an X.0 trigger/derailer combo with a 10 or 11 speed Cassette, but ive been out of the loop so long that I dont even know if this is possible.
I also need to change the BB but the XTR cranks are just fine.

Problem is, I have no Id what BB to order and what cassette/ring and derailer (long cage?) combo would work or even fit my bike...
So i was hoping anyone here has one maybe or knows what will work, any help is more then welcome!

Cheers

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
Any Shimano or Sunrace 11 speed cassette (or a SRAM NX) will fit your existing hub. Get one of those and either a Shimano or SRAM 11spd shifter+mech. You won't need a long cage mech. If your XTRs have a crazy bolt pattern you might need to be careful which narrow wide chainring you get - Oneup have a pretty decent selection. They also do simple top guides for the chain, for those times when narrow wide just isn't enough. As for the BB, i guess you're after these.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Olly nailed it.
I'd stick with your SRAM 11spd plan (shifts better) but you will have to get one of the cassettes he mentioned because the better SRAM ones need an XD freehub. If you want to save money get a cheaper derailleur, buy the X01 shifter at minimum.

Alternatively, you can just buy the XD for your Hopes (assuming Pro2 evo) but it's expensive:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/hope-pro-2-evo-freehub-body-sram-xx1-xd-qr/rp-prod106608
Main benefit would be the ability to run the lighter SRAM cassettes (eg. X01) if you care about weight, other benefits are minor. I wouldn't bother for an old bike, may as well know what your options are though.

XTR cranks and Hope hubs are solid.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
So I got all my parts and started my installing.
First I found out it has a completely different BB, but no worries, i made a friend very happy with the XT MT800.
I got a new one at the LBS and we had to hacksaw it to get it in but its running smooth now.

Then the 10spd XT cassette with a 42t sprocket extender (i already ordered before reading the post about the Sunrace stuff) and the 10spd med cage x.0 rear mech and shifter.

The problem is I cant get the rear mech to go to the largest cog on the cassette (and thus also not the 42t extender) even with the L screw all the way out and i cant figure out what im doing wrong...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There are a few ways to do this. One thing to keep in mind when using shimano setups is that the older derailleurs (and even a few of the new ones, like XTR) do not do big rear cassettes. They require modifications like the goatlink or aftermarket cages, which allow them to clear the big 40+ rear cogs.

An "inexpensive" and arguably efficient way is to buy a shimano cassette, derailleur and shifter. You'll need some kind of narrow-wide front chainring as well. Even the most expensive shimano cassette (XTR) can be found for cheaper than most of the SRAM stuff, so if cost is an option, this is usually the way to go. One issue is that Shimano came out with 11spd stuff, kind of as a "me too!" solution, but they didn't have the range. Now XT and some other stuff has been redesigned with much bigger cassettes, like around 46t, but it's not backwards compatible with the older 11spd derailleurs, unless you do the modifications I mention above.

There are the extender-gears, which is usually the cheapest way to get more range. This requires the modifications I briefly mentioned, narrow-wide ring and some type of clutch derailleur. This works well for some people, but you are investing in old stuff and if your derailleur or some other part is on it's last legs, it doesn't make a lot of sense to be prolonging the old stuff for future compatibility.

The next step up would be the hope mini-driver and cassette. It would require the NW ring, an 11spd derailleur and matching shifter. This is a little cheaper than the equivalent SRAM XD driver and cassette, and ends up significantly lighter. If you go this route, you are "tied" to the Hope driver and cassettes though, as no one else is making the cassettes, but CRC offers the driver+cassette at a pretty good deal.

Then there's SRAM, works great, gets you off the old splined cassette body that is still prone to gouging and marring with modern cassettes. It's quite an investment, so you have to look at the best bang for the buck in components, but the stuff is good and it works amazing. Full XX1 level is too expensive for me with little to no benefit from X01. Moving down, the GX stuff offers pretty good value and function and isn't a boat-anchor.

Some important notes, the shifter-spacing is now essentially the same between SRAM and Shimano with 11spd cassetttes, so you can mix and match their cassettes. I'd still pair a SRAM derailleur with SRAM shifter, and the same for shimano, but perfectly fine to run a SRAM cassette with otherwise shimano parts or shimano cassette with otherwise SRAM parts. Sun-race cassettes are boat-anchors and I wouldn't upgrade to 1x to put a 500g cassette on the back of my bike, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
There's a reason both Olly and I suggested 11spd: because dinnerplate cassettes came after 10spd, thus no 10spd stuff is actually optimised for dinnerplate cassettes and you can run into various problems.

It's not because of the cage length explicitly (that does not define cassette clearing), but modern 11spd derailleurs are designed to work properly with larger range cassettes.

My original suggestions are in my original post (I stand by them firmly - X01 shifter with whatever 11sp derailleur and 11sp cassette you can afford), maybe someone else can help get your mishmash working. I have no experience with it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There's a reason both Olly and I suggested 11spd: because dinnerplate cassettes came after 10spd, thus no 10spd stuff is actually optimised for dinnerplate cassettes and you can run into various problems.

It's not because of the cage length explicitly (that does not define cassette clearing), but modern 11spd derailleurs are designed to work properly with larger range cassettes.

My original suggestions are in my original post (I stand by them firmly - X01 shifter with whatever 11sp derailleur and 11sp cassette you can afford), maybe someone else can help get your mishmash working. I have no experience with it.
I have an X1 shifter on my SRAM setup, it's outstanding. Don't think X01 is necessary there. My XT/XTR 11spd setup on my other bike has much stiffer action, some people like this, but the SRAM was already a big improvement on "positive shifting action", so the Shimano goes a little too far IMO, but it's still good quality stuff. Modern derailleurs are much stiffer with bigger plates for very positive shifts. X01 cassette does save a bunch of weight. Weighs the same as XX1 actually, but obviously not cheap. Largest rear cog is aluminum though and replaceable on both.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
@Jm_ did you even read any of this thread before responding?
The OP already bought new gear, you're just making a mess here.

I think ideally what he needs is some help making his mishmash work if at all possible.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Are you running the B screw in or out? My e13 extendo cog came with an extra long B screw because it had to go in, way in, to get the der. in the right spot. I believe I had a med cage, but it may have been long cage. Thing didn't last long, the mega-B-Crew put too much leverage on the der. and stripped out the threads. I through an SLX set-up on and it worked pretty good, but ultimately nowhere near as good as 11spd does.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah @maxyedor's got the right idea. The B-screw needs to be all the way in to increase the distance between the top pulley and the cassette, and you'll probably need a longer screw.

However there's two independent problems you're going to have to deal with here - one is the above, and one is that the medium cage may not accomodate the total chain length change that comes as a function of the *difference* in range and the chaingrowth from suspension travel. If you can get it to work at all, after it's working you need to let the air out of the shock and slowly bottom it out with the chain on the biggest cog to see if the cage extension covers it - and then also check it moves back enough to take up all chain slack in the smallest cog.

If you can't get it actually shifting / shifting cleanly into the biggest gears though, I'd take a step back and just get it working with your standard (smaller) range 10spd cassette first. At least then you've got a working bike.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Thanks all for responding!

The setup i have now i pretty much exactly the same as the set up I had but with x.0 mech and shifter in stead of XT. Same length der cage and everything so I figured it would work.
Ill admit that Im fucking clueless about this stuff tho which is why I asked here.

Ive tried turning the B screw all the way in but I think its not enough.
I might take it to a shop tomorrow and get some professional help, only reason I havent done that yet is because teh gf has been telling me to do just that.

:happydance:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
2 more thoughts.

Sram and Shimano extend-o cogs are different, you need the one that matches up to your cassette, something about how the teeth line up. Doesn't sound like that's the issue, but that's why the e13 came with the screw, it was for my Sram cassette, so they assumed it was going to somebody with an entire Sram drivetrain. My SLX set-up did not need the screw.

second, I think it would have worked and lasted longer had the B tension screw had a jam nut on it to hold it in place and keep it from moving around in the threads of the deraileur. I had planned on adding one when I replaced the deraileur, but I got the SLX shifter and der. for half the cost of another x7 type 2 der. so I made the switch.

You should be able to move the thing by hand to at least see what the longer screw would do to the system. If that looks like the right direction to go, a hardware store should be able to sell you the screw for under a $1, or whetever screws cost in your fancy Euro money.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Another issue - placement of the rear derailleur is by no mean consistent between brands/models. I was forced to upgrade from a 10 speed E13 extender setup to an 11 speed shimano setup on my Knolly Delirium as the derailleur mount is farther outboard than any of my other bikes; the 10 speed derailleur couldn't get up to the 42.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Worst case you'll get it running smoothly with your stock 10spd XT cassette (pretty box-stock setup), best case with the help from a longer B screw you'll get it running with the extend-o cog.

Just make sure you or the shop does that test with putting it in the biggest cog and deflating / bottoming out the shock (or taking it out temporarily) so you don't risk tearing the cage off an expensive derailleur.

I've also had the same experience as djjohnr where some frames/hangers have a poor mounting position and setups that should work don't, hopefully not yours, but good to be aware of.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
@Jm_ did you even read any of this thread before responding?
The OP already bought new gear, you're just making a mess here.

I think ideally what he needs is some help making his mishmash work if at all possible.
Yes, I posted what I did because his mish-mash setup wasn't working.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A 10spd Shimano cassette with a 10spd Sram rear mech and a 10spd Sram shifter being a mish mash set up these days is exactly whats wrong with the bike industry.

There should be a thread about this. :D
If it was 100% 10spd shimano cassette, i'd agree. It's only 9/10ths of a Shimano cassette though ;)

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Its actually only 8/10th of a shimano 10spd cassette actually, but today I installed a longer B bolt and its reaching the 9th cog of the cassette but it doesnt run clean...

Maybe an ever longer bolt will do the trick but im just about to give up and buy a new bike at this point.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Are u saying a long cage would cover it? Cause then Ill just order a new mech and be done with it...
Sorry, I brain farted there. I went down memory lane before answering and then I recalled I used a 10sp SRAM cassette with an E13 42t extender and a medium cage X9 type 2.1 RD in my Prophet back in the day, and a friend is still running that setup. Which brings me to the $64,000 question: Is your X0 RD a clutch one?

The SRAM clutch derailleurs have the upper pulley decentered with respect to the pulley cage pivot, and that allows them to clear the bigger cogs. The non-clutched ones can't move the upper pulley out of the way and it ends up striking the cassette.

A pic would help.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Flo did fucking nail it and its shifting now even!
Who knew mech hangers came in different flavors? :D

Thanks monkeys for your patience!!
Shimano and Yeti among others tried to impose those Direct Mount Derailleurs a while ago. The idea was to bolt the RD directly to the hanger, putting the adapter (or B-Knuckle in Shimano's jargon) you left attached to the frame's hanger out of the equation:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Look @Udi, @slimshady solved the problem! Getting a picture was a great idea, btw.:clapping:
I think you mean @Flo33, but woohoo good to see it sorted!
Also, this misattribution of credit reflects poorly on the company you represent @4130biker

Yes, I posted what I did because his mish-mash setup wasn't working.
Good thing he threw his newly purchased parts in the bin and bought new stuff hey?
Oh wait.