Quantcast

Help with GT STS/LTS main pivot removal?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I had this in tech talk but then realized it would be better off here...

I'm ashamed to say this is the first time I've ever attempted to rebuild the main (BB) pivot on my STS 1500 DS... Problem is I can't seem to get it apart (I remember having this same problem like 2 years ago, which is why it was never rebuilt). It looks like the aluminum axle is in two parts connected at the center by bolt and nut, but I cannot FOR THE LIFE OF ME loosen that bolt in there. It's like a 5 or 6mm hex and even with a quality wrench and a length of pipe to increase the torque, it just won't go. I get burnt metal/spark smells and I'm afraid the bolt will strip, but it just won't budge.

What's the deal? Anyone ever take theirs apart?

Also, I tried using penetrating oils and solvents (WD-40) in case it had just seized and didn't have any luck. I might try again, now that they've had a couple of days to soak in and work their magic.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by ohio
I had this in tech talk but then realized it would be better off here...

I'm ashamed to say this is the first time I've ever attempted to rebuild the main (BB) pivot on my STS 1500 DS... Problem is I can't seem to get it apart (I remember having this same problem like 2 years ago, which is why it was never rebuilt). It looks like the aluminum axle is in two parts connected at the center by bolt and nut, but I cannot FOR THE LIFE OF ME loosen that bolt in there. It's like a 5 or 6mm hex and even with a quality wrench and a length of pipe to increase the torque, it just won't go. I get burnt metal/spark smells and I'm afraid the bolt will strip, but it just won't budge.

What's the deal? Anyone ever take theirs apart?

Also, I tried using penetrating oils and solvents (WD-40) in case it had just seized and didn't have any luck. I might try again, now that they've had a couple of days to soak in and work their magic.
Wow :confused: I have the exact bike but don't remember that being a problem....and for the life of me can't remember exactly how they went together.............

Worst comes to worst you break the bolts and hammer it out with a punch........but that would be a last resort

the smell troubles me.......don't know what that is.......sure you are turning the nuthte right way?? Just a stab inthe dark

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
well appreciate this I found my 1998 GT STS/LTS MANUAL:

BB assembly/pivot:

tools needed 10mm socket and 5mm allen wrench

I will paraphracse so I wont type so much and it won't make much sense with out the pictures.

stick the plastic bushing in the swingarm make sure the flange is on the inside.

put "flange" O-rings on swing arm one for each bushing......will be pulled back over when swing arm is installed.

put Rubber O-ring in groves on pivot pins (the ones that hold he swing arm one and the bushing rides on)

insert collet peice (hour shaped peice that both pivot pins press in to) in the frame.

Apply a thick layer of grease onthe bearings inside and on flange, also apply grease to pivot pins

put swing arm on.....line up

press pivot pins in both sides and into the collet peice...until the rubber )-ring settles inside the bearing

AHHHHH get this: the right pivot pins has M10x1.50 threads used for pivot removal. This is offcourse once you get the damn bolt out ;)

back to install:

Insert bolt through right side pivot pin and secure with 8mm nut in left pivot pin. torque to 13ft-lbs or 17.6 Newton meters

slide flange O-rings you have on swing arm over pivots and onto flanges.