Quantcast

Help with Knee Pads

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I've been wearing 661 Kyle Straits for a long time and they are worn out and as loose as my old Spitfire. So new Spitty, new pads.

The 661s were comfy and easy to pedal, but a bit lacking when knee punching rocks. I ordered a set of the new Rage hard shell with the internal plastic cap, and they didn't feel at all like the old pads, like they would dig into the back of my knee.

I want a set of pads that are like the Kyle Straits in comfort and pedal-ability, but with a hard cap. Found a good deal on some TLD T-Bones, but am not sure if they have a hard cap.

Any suggestions or experience with the TLDs ?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The T-Bones do not have a hard cap.

They don't have a hard cap either, but the POC VPD 2.0s are by far the best ratio of protection to pedalability that I've tried. They're a little warm on super muggy days, but fit snugly, don't move, and the protection is very, very good.

Edit: They do make a version of the POC with a hard cap, but I haven't tried those.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
POC Joint VPD 2.0 DH long for downhill, have the plastic hard cap. They would be hot for long pedal rides, which is why I have some Race Face Ambush knee for those rides, these replaced some very old Kyle Straits.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anyone had a major rock garden crash using the high tech gel type pads? Results vs hard shell?
Yeah. Protection is very good with the POCs, with two caveats that I see:

1) They aren't as good on a really concentrated impact (think coming down knee first on a particularly sharp corner of a rock). It doesn't take a lot of area for them to distribute an impact well, but they have their limits.
2) They don't slide as well on big rock slabs as something with an exposed hard plastic front face, and are therefore more likely to get slid down your shin, if you find yourself in such a position.

That said, they're so much more flexible and breathable the other 99.999% of the time, with still very good protection, that I find it to be a more than worthwhile tradeoff.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Haha, zippers are a no go. I will eventually destroy any zipper I come in contact with. Countless articles of clothing have gone to the trash far before their time at the hands of the zipper dark-side.

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
I have had the Kyle Straits, POC VPD2,the 2 beefier versions of the 7idp (the boa one and the next one down) and the IXS daggers. I like the IXS daggers the best. The POC pads are slightly more comfortable but still slipped which is why I moved on. The IXS felt a little stiff at first. I don't notice them now. I've done over 30 miles in them and don't even bother pulling them down to pedal up...better protection too. They get my vote :thumb:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Anybody have any comments on RaceFace Flank leg and Ambush Arms?
Currently on Nukeproof Critical Leg or 661 Kyle Straits depending upon need - both are about done. Elbow duties have been handled by original 661 d3o elbow-pads.
Have more need of heavy duty than light - so was thinking the Flank may be the best of both worlds heavy-duty compromise.

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
Anyone have experience with the first generation POC joint vpd knee vs the 2.0 version?
Thought I read somewhere a while back that the first version fits better.
I need some new knee pads and I like the POC stuff. Just not sure which version is the better choice.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anyone have experience with the first generation POC joint vpd knee vs the 2.0 version?
Thought I read somewhere a while back that the first version fits better.
I need some new knee pads and I like the POC stuff. Just not sure which version is the better choice.
Yeah. I like the fit on the 2.0 better, though that's obviously somewhat personal. The first generation only had one strap at the top, and relied on a tight elastic sleeve in the calf to keep that part tight. It actually worked great, but was a little too snug to pedal in for long distances, at least for me. The 2.0 still has the same sleeve, but it's a tad looser, and they added a second strap on the calf.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Yeah. Protection is very good with the POCs, with two caveats that I see:

1) They aren't as good on a really concentrated impact (think coming down knee first on a particularly sharp corner of a rock). It doesn't take a lot of area for them to distribute an impact well, but they have their limits.
2) They don't slide as well on big rock slabs as something with an exposed hard plastic front face, and are therefore more likely to get slid down your shin, if you find yourself in such a position.

That said, they're so much more flexible and breathable the other 99.999% of the time, with still very good protection, that I find it to be a more than worthwhile tradeoff.
Boom.

http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/1843/joint-vpd-2-0-dh-knee

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Which are the ones I stated above that I use for DH.

Too hot for trail riding plus the need to take off shoes to put them on limits their appeal for days where you might only want them on for certain sections.

Big fan of my Race Face Ambush as they can be put on with shoes in place. @mykel my wife has the ambush knees and elbows for trail riding and likes them much more than her previous 661 evo's.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I want a set of pads that are like the Kyle Straits in comfort and pedal-ability, but with a hard cap. Found a good deal on some TLD T-Bones, but am not sure if they have a hard cap.

Any suggestions or experience with the TLDs ?
I wear the t-bones for DH, I came from the 661 rage or straits (can't recall exactly). The t-bones don't have the same amount of protection but are much more pedal-able.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Anyone had a major rock garden crash using the high tech gel type pads? Results vs hard shell?
I had a crash in some of the old Race Face Rally DH knee/shinpads which were quite heavy and bulky. Cracked the plastic cap and my knee was swollen.
Never ever had a problem since i switched over to soft pads.
For what it´s worth, i also always felt that through traditional hardcaps i can feel much more of the impact than through even the most flimsy soft-protector.
So, i´m completely sold on any of the wonderfoam thingies.
I do own a pair of POC VPD2.0 DH pads. They feel bombproof. maybe not the most ideal if you plan on pedalling a lot, but that´s mostly due to them being a knee/shin combination. Highly recommend POC stuff.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Size-wise, how are they - - i.e. - do they run true to the size chart? Thinking of pulling the trigger on the new Flex knee/shin but past experience with 7iDP's sizing charts has been hit-and-miss.
Hmm. Well, I bought size Small based on their sizing chart and they started quite tight. I was was at the upper end of the measurements they recommended for Small and almost went for Meds... At first I was worried I'd gotten them too small, but they've broken in a bit and are comfy now. But I tend prefer pads to be too tight rather that too loose...

One small gripe I have is that I think they would benefit from some silicone grippers on the quad cuff. I occasionally have to yank them up once or twice per ride (over the course of 2 hours or so). The straps over the calf are awesome though.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I also have and like these Dianese Hybrid. They are lightweight, reasonably well vented, they don't move a bit and the shell offers good protection from sharp rocks.

Aside from a helmet, I have never managed to get into armor. I figure if I have knee/shin guards I'll whack my elbow or hip or spine... Don't particularly want to be a weekend warrior all decked out like Sir Lancelot and suffering from heat stroke. So far this approach has only yielded metal in one arm.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Hmm. Well, I bought size Small based on their sizing chart and they started quite tight. I was was at the upper end of the measurements they recommended for Small and almost went for Meds... At first I was worried I'd gotten them too small, but they've broken in a bit and are comfy now. But I tend prefer pads to be too tight rather that too loose...

One small gripe I have is that I think they would benefit from some silicone grippers on the quad cuff. I occasionally have to yank them up once or twice per ride (over the course of 2 hours or so). The straps over the calf are awesome though.
Thanks for that. I had a similar experience with the Control elbows last season. Moral of the story seems to be when in doubt, err to the smaller size.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Aside from a helmet, I have never managed to get into armor. I figure if I have knee/shin guards I'll whack my elbow or hip or spine... Don't particularly want to be a weekend warrior all decked out like Sir Lancelot and suffering from heat stroke. So far this approach has only yielded metal in one arm.
I've taken sooo many hits to the knees in my life, BMX, skating, DH, and dual slalom that I don't mind wearing just knee pads for more tech trails as most crashes result in hitting a knee first. Also my ER copay went up, so pads are cheaper than sutures.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I have the 7idp knee pads with removable inserts and similar 7idp elbow pads. Only have had minor crashes, so I can't comment on protection. The knee pads are comfortable enough to use regularly with all the protective inserts in.

For what it is worth I found sizing to be strange for both the knee pads and the elbow pads. For a given size, The bottom is tight on both, but the top on both is loose. It's like you are supposed to have huge popeye biceps and scrawny olive oil forarms. Maybe I just have a strange build. Anyway, the knee pads fit good enough and I use them regularly. The elbow pads would not abide, and I have poc elbow pads now.

Last edited:

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I also have and like these Dianese Hybrid. They are lightweight, reasonably well vented, they don't move a bit and the shell offers good protection from sharp rocks.
I really like the look of those. When you say don't move a bit, is that only on DH or also while manduro riding/pedaling?

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
I use the 7idp Transition knee pads. The gel padding works very well for protecting my knees against rocks and other things I have crashed into. If you ride longer miles while wearing knee pads and wear lycra under your baggies, get the pads that tuck up under your lycra. No top strap needed and they stay in place all day.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Has anybody seen the Dainese Armoform Knee pad - looks interesting.

dainese-armoform-knee-guard.jpg

I was/am pretty set on some RF Flank....

However, I really liking the idea of an exposed hardshell, instead of internal or fabric covered.
For some damn reason, my subconscious seems to think I'm Stuperman so when I come off the bike I tend to slide headfirst :neo: - so anything that will reduce friction on the pads and keep them around my knees instead of my ankles would be welcome.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have 661 and I've owned older RaceFace.
The RF win for no other reason than I prefer not having to remove my shoes to put them on. I normally pack them up and wear then down. It's not a big deal, but I prefer it.

Those Dainese look nice too. If I could get those with the outer shell, but the strap system from the RF, I'd be sold.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
So I ordered set of TLD T-Bones, and wow do they suck. They provide about as much protection as a maxi-pad and two rubber bands. They will be sent back.

Someone else recommended the 7iDP flex-knee like @Da Peach is using. The price is right so they might get ordered next. Also there's a motocross store here that carries a lot of stuff, might be worth checking out.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I'm loving the Race Face Ambush pads. Super comfy, stay in place great, and you can put them on/take them off without taking off your shoes. I haven't crashed in them, so I can't comment to how well they'd do in a crash, but they cover quite a bit of area, and have D3O, so it seems as they should be decent.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I have the Ambush too and they have been great. Being able to put them on without taking off shoes is so nice for rides in the mountains with a long climb to a long descent. The've never slipped in a crash and are comfortable enough that I have done some pretty long pedals with them too. I've taken a few good knee first spills including one right onto a rock and they have been good. The wreck onto a rock left me a little sore, but I kept riding without any issues. Honestly not sure whether I'd have been any better off on a hard shell pad. I'm running them again this season.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
I really like my IXS Daggers. Hard plastic shell on the knee cap, quite breathable, don't really slip and don't notice them
DAGGER_KNEE.jpg
too much when pedalling. Recommended.