Quantcast

Help with Protein Supplements

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
As some of you may recall, I'm on a restricted diet due to gout. The only meat I can eat with regularity is chicken. But lately I just can't stand it anymore. I don't know if it's me, or something new and nasty going on in the poultry industry. But it just stinks and doesn't taste right to me. I have to force myself to eat it.

So basically I am not getting enough protein which causes me to feel fatigued and light headed. So I'm going to try some supplements. I want to stay with the vegetarian based stuff for now and see if I can handle it. Picked up a couple packets of Vega Sport.

Does anyone take protein supplements ? Are there side effects, like headache or runny butt ? Is there an optimum time during the day to take them ?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
FWIW I have a whey protein shake for breakfast every morning. It is the simplest carbs-free breakfast for a lazy fvck like me. I have been on this "diet" for a few years now, the only side effects I feel is that I do not feel as tired and lacking energy as when having carbs and gluten, and I do not crave food until lunch time. No digestive issues, no headaches. In my experience, the cheapest simple brands are the best. Some of the fancy ones with a lot of science-marketing-gibberish give me serious belly ache though. Muscle Milk powder tastes a bit better than most other brands.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Is that all you have for breakfast ?

So morning is better, hmmm...

Unfortunately a lot of the foods I can eat are wheat and/or sugar based and not very healthy. Sometimes when I get up it can be race to get some calories in me before I start trembling like a junkie. Would really like to not do that anymore. Thing the protein supp. would help with that ?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Is that all you have for breakfast ?

So morning is better, hmmm...

Unfortunately a lot of the foods I can eat are wheat and/or sugar based and not very healthy. Sometimes when I get up it can be race to get some calories in me before I start trembling like a junkie. Would really like to not do that anymore. Thing the protein supp. would help with that ?
Yep, that's all I have for breakfast, 35g of protein. You could probably have a protein shake for two meals a day, but it gets quite old quickly, too. How about eggs, do they fit in your diet?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
a buddy of mine introduced me to these, and i've been quite happy with them. i only eat one a week, so i can't comment on effects of more than that.
http://www.eatmancakes.com/

i needed an alternative to whey; since my injury, that stuff runs through me super fast, and i end up peeing quite a bit for a while after taking it. i've read that whey digests very quickly (about 30 mins), which it explains that. casein is another option, which should digest a little slower. whey seems to be suggested as right before or right after workouts (about 30 mins, again) on most serving instructions.
http://www.nutritionexpress.com/showarticle.aspx?articleid=787

i've heard ok things about egg or veggie protein, but there aren't tons of options. though, i do go to the store and get a pint of raw egg whites and just drink it from the carton. your body doesn't care if it is cooked or raw, and the stuff is pasteurized. it tastes fine, though it can pass through as sulfur farts, if you drink enough of it.

my trainer's suggestion was to do protein powder in a shaker, and mix in a cup of raw oatmeal (rolled oats, not instant). that stuff has a decent amount of protein, and no sugar. you will get plenty of sustained energy. in fact, some makers are now adding oatmeal to their shake powder.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
...a topical article.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/555139-protein-shakes-for-muscle-building-that-dont-flare-up-gout/

the article states that fructose is bad for gout, but doesn't mention glucose or dextrose. i'd say you need to read the labels to make sure you aren't getting a product with sugary fillers (more often in "weight gainers" loaded with calories than in just protein powders). you might also want to consider mixing greek yogurt with something with glucose from this list http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-009010000000000000000.html?maxCount=78

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
When I was training hard, I ate egg whites by the half dozen...dont know about the purine level, but combined with oatmeal and coffee made for a great brekkie!

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Oats are not an option. I do so sorely miss oatmeal and veggie burgers with bacon.

Sugar in general is not good for people with arthritis, which gout is a type of. High fructose corn syrup is the worst. Having been a drunk for so long my body is still hooked on sugar. I do avoid the HFCs, but do eat a lot of dried fruit and refined sugar (usually in the form of muffins and ice cream). The sugar doesn't really effect my uric acid levels so I am "safe" to eat it. It just makes me fat and sluggish in the winter when not riding much.

The list of foods that I cannot have is absurdly long. There are very few foods I can eat that won't cause problems. I take meds daily and religiously read every fvcking godamn food label of anything I might think about enjoying. Yeast, meats high in fat, stocks, gravies, shelfish, and some fish are completely off limits.

I get a little frustrated with this now and then. I once had aspirations of doing something professional with cooking. Was even a personal chef for a brief period. Once a foodie, now I eat to survive.

Positive note though, I can eat all the mexican and chili peppers I want.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Raw food diet. Try it, pvssy.

I may type more words of encouragement when I'm not on my phone.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Men's Health Magazine's Website has two categories, one for nutrition, the other for cooking (I think). They have awesome protein recipes.

Shame you can't do oatmeal. One cup oatmeal, 1 cup cottage cheese, vanilla, cinnamon or nutmeg and a blender makes some awesome protein pancakes.

If whey protein is not upsetting to your gout, try the EAS brand of CHOCOLATE whey protein. It is highly rated, is straight up chocolate tasting and you can make a smoothie out of just about anything with it taste awesome.

With a SAMS membership, you can order it online delivered to your door with free shipping in massive,cost effective 5lb bags.

The last thing I recommend is looking up Rich Gaspari's line of Gaspari nutrition supplements. He was a vegetarian bodybuilder and he has a range of most anything you need.

Last edited:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I eat a lot of tofu. I have no boobs.... (the girlfriend has boobs though, so I'm all set)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
quinoa and egg taco's with homemade taco sauce and jalapenos on corn tortilla's.

Eating that now for breakfast.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
I've used proteinfactory.com's mega-whey for years now, and I know they carry a soy protein mix among their many offerings. You'll find they're less expensive than any of the name-brand stuff. Good luck.
- Joe

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I use Vegan Brown Rice Protein Powder. Not sure why i used caps, that could be a side effect.
other than that though I dint notice any side effects. It taste good in my smoovies too.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Thanks for the tips guys.

Just mixed one of the Vega packets with some water. OMFG does this not taste right. Like I'm licking the inside of a used knee brace at the Physical therapist, yuck.