Quantcast

help with shoulders?

azrael

Chimp
Jun 1, 2002
sydney.aust
ok this is going to sound stupid. but im fed up.ever since i grew tall very fast, and got skinny, my shoulders have been scrawny.
id lie and say that this only concerns me with riding.but the truth is, im much more concerned with people saying to put on weight, even when everywhere else on my body is fine but my shoulders.
i know im still growing, but this is really annoying me,and i was wondering what i can do? (btw, im a trials rider, if that helps at all).

zibbler

Monkey
Shoulder presses and lateral raises. Start with dumbells for the presses. This will work your entire shoulder girdle. When you can press some fairly heavy dumbells, start using a barbell or shoulder press machine. Delts are stubborn muscles. You have to hit them hard to make them respond, but start off slow and build up so you don't injure your shoulders. Then, when you start to see progress, add in some dumbell lateral raises to your shoulder routine. It will take a while to see a difference, but keep at it. No more than 3 times a week, so your muscles have time to recover and grow.

goosemagoo

Chimp
May 21, 2002
Virginia Beach, VA
I'm definitely not the nutrition expert, semi expert, quasi expert or anything close but trials + creatine did wonders for my scrawny shoulders. I hate going to the gym, so anything that helps without having to walk around in a musty gym is a plus for me.

Doesn't natural creatine come mainly from red meat?? I think I remember you saying you were vegetarian. It might be worth a try. It worked for me. You'll probably fill out more as you grow though.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
A couple of other exercises that really helped me were

Arnold press (start with the weight and palms facing shoulders with weight in fron of body. As you press it up you rotate your hands so your palms face outwards.

No clue what this is called but tried it one day for fun and have packed on some serious strenght onto my shoulder. Start like a lateral raise instead of stopping turn your hand inwards (should be fairly natural) and tap the weights above you head. This helped a lot of problems with some serious shoulder problems I had from football. :)...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Tweek
Nope. I'll just wait til later to find out. It's not gnawing at me anyway. :)
Sitting down. Chest on knees and handles under you legs. You 'flye' the handles out. Posterior delt flye machine maybe? This is one of my favorites if thats what you are talking about.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Well this was the one I mentioned. The pic they used didn't have any weights on it, so I drew it in. :p
It really is for your lats, but the one at my gym has different grip positions to work secondary muscles more. The grip position I use works the back of my shoulders like in the trapezeus area. At least that's where I feel it the next day. :D I never really feel it in my back, but it's gotta be doing something there.

azrael

Chimp
Jun 1, 2002
sydney.aust
thanks, ill start at it all tommorow.probably doesent help that my diet is around 80% carbs, but then im over worrying about that sort of thing.i think it has a lot to do with my height, im 6'4 and still growing.

Broken

Chimp
Oct 15, 2002
somewhere but not sure where
be sure and stretch!!! I have a exercise I have to do for my rotator cuffs because I halfass tore one. Its a wierd thing to describe much easier shown :think: but you lay on your side and lift vertically like a fly the flip over and lift again. I have to do 3 seats for each shoulder.