Quantcast

Help!

SandraR

Chimp
Nov 16, 2001
Houston, TX, Planet Earth
My friends are trying to talk me into doing a 12hour race SOLO at the end of January. It will be held on a 10 mile course that I know well, and one that is mostly non-technical. I must admit the idea appeals to me, but I don't know how to train for it. Right now, I race Sport category so my average race is 20 miles long. How do I train for a race where I may end up doing 60 or 70 miles? What do I eat between laps to keep me going? How beneficial are the caffeine drinks/gels? How much clothing should I take? Help!:confused:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by SandraR
My friends are trying to talk me into doing a 12hour race SOLO at the end of January. It will be held on a 10 mile course that I know well, and one that is mostly non-technical. I must admit the idea appeals to me, but I don't know how to train for it. Right now, I race Sport category so my average race is 20 miles long. How do I train for a race where I may end up doing 60 or 70 miles? What do I eat between laps to keep me going? How beneficial are the caffeine drinks/gels? How much clothing should I take? Help!:confused:
Solo! Solo! Solo!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
well here's my 2cents.

don’t focus on the caffeine. You need calories and fat and sugar and food that delivers that quickly and with out upsetting your stomach.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
I have done 3 "24 hours of canaan" races as a teem, but never a solo race nearly as long as 12 hours. If your going to try new things, do it well in advance of the race. don't go into a race, especially a 12 hr one with any unproven food or equipment. If you have some sort of energy drink that works for you stick with that and expand into some food that you should be able to tolerate of long periods of exercise. BTW, Cytomax was my drink of choice at all of my races. I used gel packs sparingly and tried to eat basic foods like bagels with a little peanut butter and fig newtons. Hope this helps a little and good luck.

SandraR

Chimp
Nov 16, 2001
Thanks guys, ya'll are the best!! I think I really want to try this! I did last June's 12 hour race as part of a 4 woman team. It was the same course (Bluff Creek Ranch, Warda Texas), and I ended up with only 2 laps. I could have done more had we not run out of time! I did last August's 6 hour race at Rocky Hill Ranch, too. I think that if I just pace myself, and get at least a half hour or so's rest between laps, I'll be OK. Andy, Scott S. and Ryan think I can do it. Hey, if I can survive 9 miles of Kerrville in 110 degree heat, I can do anything!!
:cool:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Well, normally I would suggest more prep time, but for this to happen by the end of Jan, you really only have about 3 weeks to prepare. I guess you could start out with 2 three hour rides next week and two 1.5 hour rides during the week. Then, the next week, ride 5-6 hours Sat and 3-4 on Sun and at least 3 hours one of the week days, then the next weekend ride 5 hours both Sat and Sun and 3 hours one weekday. That would be a min. Mostly, you need "base miles" and saddle time. I have done a 12 hour race before, it's a long time to sit.:)

I would recommend Cytomax, and a lot of water. As I always recommend, work the foods you will eat during the race into your training rides. It is important to know what your stomach can handle. Try gels, peanut butter/honey sandwiches, bananas etc. Make sure you drink a lot!!!

Good luck.

SandraR

Chimp
Nov 16, 2001
Hey, thanks, Heidi! You're the best! The only problem is that we are having a wet winter here in SE Texas, and sometimes the only ride I get is my coach's trainer workout in the living room. For those days, I'll probably stretch the workout to two hours instead of one, with some easy spinning for half an hour or so after the workout. I'll try to experiment with different foods to see what works best for me on rides in the next week or so. I'll keep ya'll posted as to how the training is going.:wink:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hey, thanks, Heidi! You're the best! The only problem is that we are having a wet winter here in SE Texas, and sometimes the only ride I get is my coach's trainer workout in the living room. For those days, I'll probably stretch the workout to two hours instead of one, with some easy spinning for half an hour or so after the workout. I'll try to experiment with different foods to see what works best for me on rides in the next week or so. I'll keep ya'll posted as to how the training is going.:wink:
Wow, 5-6 hours on a trainer is gonna KILL you! At least hit the road once a week if you can. Sometimes it's kind of fun to get out there in the rain. Or, at least my sick, twisted self thinks so!:D

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Yeah, Tony. So far, the only support staff I have is Bill D. who has offered to provide mechanical support and not laugh at me. Do you think I'm crazy?:help:

C'mon now, I'm 40 years old, and have done 4 solo 24-hours, generally with NO HELP (except my hubbie supported me on two of them), so it CAN be done! And no, you're not crazy. Folks who want to do this, but don't, are crazy ;)

Anyway, there's much more I can tell you about doing these things than I can post here. E-mail me, and I'll do my best to help - if you're wanting to do it, by all means, DO! It will change your life (for the better), I promise:thumb:

tammy