Quantcast

Here's to a new beginning.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Dog Welder
Oh I guess I'm one of those slow as whale guys...I just checked my 1.5 mile time and it was 12:30...I wasn't going all out...but I felt that I was going at a fair clip.
I caught that too... an 8:20 mile is just fine for someone who does not do running specific training. Starting at that you'd be below a 7 minuted pace in less than a month.

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
$260 of Supplements anyone?

With this list of prodcuts, here are my estimates of how long they should last:

MRP: 10-20 days (strictly for emergency/time crunch use) Can make my own w/ protien powder
Whey Protien: A LONG time. ;)
Creatine: About 6 months
ZMA: 3 months
Glutamine Powder: 2.5 months
Vitamin C: 2.77 months
Calcium w/Vit.D & Mag.: 6 months
Multi-Vits. w/o Iron: 6 months
EFA: 31 days
Ultra Fuel: A little over 2 months

==========================
TWINLAB
C-1000 CAPS - 250 CAPSULES
$13.97_
$13.97

NEXT PROTEINS
DESIGNER WHEY - FRENCH VANILLA - 2 LBS
$16.71_
$16.71

NATURE'S BEST
LOW CARB ISOPURE - DUTCH CHOCOLATE - 3 LBS
$30.63_
$30.63

TWINLAB
ULTRA FUEL POWDER - ORANGE - 3.3 LB
$11.66_
$11.66

HEALTH FROM THE SUN
OMEGA-3 FLAX OIL - 16 OZ
$6.18 x 3_
$18.54

TWINLAB
CALCIUM 500 TABS - 180 TABLETS
$5.39_x 2
$10.78

NATURE'S BEST
ISOPURE - VARIETY PACK - 20 PACKETS
$33.42_
$33.42

PROLAB
CREATINE MONOHYDRATE POWDER - 1000 GRAMS
$20.51_
$20.51

OPTIMUM NUTRITION
ZINC MONOMETHIONINE ASPARTATE - 90 CAPSULES
$10.49_x 3
$31.47

PROLAB
GLUTAMINE POWDER - 1000 GRAMS
$38.98_
$38.98

TWINLAB
DAILY ONE CAPS WITHOUT IRON - 180 CAPSULES
$20.58_
$20.58

TWINLAB
ULTRA FUEL POWDER - FRUIT PUNCH - 3.3 LB
$11.66_
$11.66

ITEM COST:_
$258.91

TOTAL COST:_
$258.91
==========================

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I caught that too... an 8:20 mile is just fine for someone who does not do running specific training. Starting at that you'd be below a 7 minuted pace in less than a month.
That sounds about right...when I first started my loops here I was running 3 miles in about 24 minutes (I don't ever time myself down to the minute or second...I figure so long as I do better than yesterday - feel better, I must be improving)

I'm doing 5 miles now in 35 minutes...so not too bad, though I had some setbacks with injuries this year, as well as night school (hard to be motivated at 10pm to run when you've been up since 5am)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
I'm doing 5 miles now in 35 minutes...so not too bad, though I had some setbacks with injuries this year, as well as night school (hard to be motivated at 10pm to run when you've been up since 5am)
Ugh... I only go that fast for a 5K. I'm perfectly happy slogging along at an 8.5 minute mile - that's my marathon pace. Last Friday I did 5.3 miles in 41:48... I wasn't unhappy as the day before I did 10 in under 90 minutes. Had I pushed harder I would have worn myself out too much, I'm doing 120 miles this month.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Ugh... I only go that fast for a 5K. I'm perfectly happy slogging along at an 8.5 minute mile - that's my marathon pace. Last Friday I did 5.3 miles in 41:48... I wasn't unhappy as the day before I did 10 in under 90 minutes. Had I pushed harder I would have worn myself out too much, I'm doing 120 miles this month.
Oooof! That doesn't sound like fun...10 miles?? I'm still working up to longer distances ;). I think I have a hard time pacing myself tho...like there's apparently a good 13 mile off road run not too far from me, but I dunno if I've got what it takes to go that kind of distance just yet. That and after 5 miles my knees feel like they're gonna explode, usually if I run 5 miles hard (so roughly under 7 minutes) I end up icing after...and that's no fun at all.

How'd you train up to that kind of distance? I listen to music on my mp3 player....I might could run my loop twice I think if I slow down in the middle and stop and stretch a bit...

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
That sounds about right...when I first started my loops here I was running 3 miles in about 24 minutes (I don't ever time myself down to the minute or second...I figure so long as I do better than yesterday - feel better, I must be improving)

Dang girl that is fast! I never run that fast except for races.........I'm more with the pace of Midge. I do tempo runs twice a week to improve my speed and endurence. I usually run for a certain amount of time, not distance and try and improve my pace from there.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Right on man. I am so glad to see i am not the only person with this problem. I have just started a weight training/suppliment program in order to gain mass. I have gained 5 pounds in two weeks (my shirts are also starting to fit tighter in the chest area) My friends and even my family have commented on the definition in my chest/abs. All i have heard for months is bull**** from people bitching about how they have to lose weight and i am worried about gaining it. "Be happy you are skinny" :rolleyes: Yeah try weighing 125lbs @5'4" tall see how great that feels. Granted i am "stronger" (strenght/weight ratio) than most people i know but i still don't look muscular. I eat more food than most people but my metabolism was so high that i just burned it all off. I haven't gained weight in about 5 years. I finally just started taking weight gainer/protien shakes and am seeing resaults. I have stopped eating three meals a day and have picked up the habbit of eating a nice breakfast and then grazing the rest of the day. I don't want to get huge and i know i never will. My body structure just isn't designed to get massive but i would like to gain 30-35 more pounds and bulk up my muscles so i can actually walk around without a shirt and not feel like a "stick with a pot belly". Good luck and thanks for the link to the website.

Chris

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Bonk, that is a lot of supplements. Are you going to be eating any "regular" food??

Why the Vitamin C supplement AND the multi-vitamin? Most multi's contain about 500% of your Vitamin C RDA.

Your MRP or protein powder does not contain glutamine? I don't supplement L-glutamine because my protein blend contains it already.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I end up icing after...and that's no fun at all.
If you are icing after only 5 miles you are doing harm to your joints. A common mistake bikers make is to run at the same effort level they bike at. Your average biker has much stronger thighs than your average runner - because of this it is easy to run faster than they should. Biking is low impact, running is high impact... the best thing you can do is SLOW down and find the pace that causes ZERO pain. If you drop from a 7 to an 8 minute pace you will automatically increase your endurance and mitigate the joint damage you are causing.

I'll give these examples of my personal bests for the last year.

1 mile = 6:16
5K = 6:28
10K = 7:16
13.1 miles 7:40
26.2 miles 8:31
50K 9:41 (31 miles of fireroad, 1200 feet of gain)

When the going gets tough over singletrack mountain trails in foul weather my pace drops dramatically as the elevation gain increases.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
If you are icing after only 5 miles you are doing harm to your joints. A common mistake bikers make is to run at the same effort level they bike at. Your average biker has much stronger thighs than your average runner - because of this it is easy to run faster than they should. Biking is low impact, running is high impact... the best thing you can do is SLOW down and find the pace that causes ZERO pain. If you drop from a 7 to an 8 minute pace you will automatically increase your endurance and mitigate the joint damage you are causing.

Interesting about the icing, vs. not. I don't generally ice unless a) the pain is really bad, and b) not after a long cool down - generally I wrap up a run with a long walk and then a good stretching session.

I'm one of the lucky ones that got to partially tear the tendons in each knee, just below the knee cap, as a kid when I was in gymnastics. Lol - talk about high impact with over-developed thighs...I was on vault and floor primarily. As a kid I wore thigh to shin knee braces for Track and Gymnastics, when I finally moved out of the high impact sports in college I dropped a ton of weight (fat and muscle) from my thighs and my ability to run/exercise without any form of bracing increased dramatically. However when the little buggers decide to hurt a wee bit, I tend to ice them up, rather than tape them when I run. :) Yes yes, I know - not good. ;)

I do understand the need to slow down the longer the distance I go. I have actually never tried to purposefully run fast, I just try to keep a steady pace the whole way around (thus my lack of knowledge of exactly my time on only one mile is). I do know that when I plan to only run the 3 mile route I'm able to do that in just under 20 minutes now, which is a faster minutes per mile time than my longer 5 mile routes.

I'll just have to try slowing my pace a bit and seeing if I can run a longer distance than 5 miles. :D

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
If you are icing after only 5 miles you are doing harm to your joints. A common mistake bikers make is to run at the same effort level they bike at. Your average biker has much stronger thighs than your average runner - because of this it is easy to run faster than they should. Biking is low impact, running is high impact... the best thing you can do is SLOW down and find the pace that causes ZERO pain.
Dude that makes total since......Trailhacker started running with me a couple of years ago and I was in shock how fast he ran(he is not a runner at all). He would end up being in pain from shin splints after a mile. I tried to get him to slow down for a while to get his joints used to the impact but he just got discouraged and stopped.

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Bonk, that is a lot of supplements. Are you going to be eating any "regular" food??

Why the Vitamin C supplement AND the multi-vitamin? Most multi's contain about 500% of your Vitamin C RDA.

Your MRP or protein powder does not contain glutamine? I don't supplement L-glutamine because my protein blend contains it already.
Yeah, I will be eating regular food too. The supplements are only for what they are named, "Supplmenting". I will only be using MRPs for probably 2 meals out of my 6 a day.

"The vitamin C is essential to prevent free radical damage, which is accelerated after the heavy trauma of weight training. It also speeds up muscle recovery time and aids in the repair of damaged connective tissue" ...plus it's a water soluble vitamin...so any access just gets pee'd out.

I'm going to be taking 5g of glutamine 3 times daily. "Supplementing your diet with extra glutamine will help muscle protien breakdown while you're asleep or dieting, and help increase pprotien synthesis. Glutamine and Alanine are usd extensively for muscle growth and repair. Large amounts are needed. Heavy training can reduce glutamine levels by up to 50%."

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
Official Start Date: Jan. 11, 2004

Starting Stats:
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 135 lbs.
BF %: 8.8%
Fat Lbs.: 11.88
LBM: 123.12

Short Term Goal:
Weight: 165 lbs.
BF %: 8.8%

Long Term Goal:
Weight: 175 lbs.
BF %: 6.8%

All the supplements are ordered. Let's hope I don't have to keep spending $260 all that often. A good chunck of the stuff is a 6 month supply. Now all I have to do is possibly make a slightly modified (time-wise) 24 hour schedule, or just stick with the afternoon workout one. Will have to see how crowded the health club is during those hours. Then all I have to do is plan a variety of meals. I need flavor, I need variety! ...shouldn't be bad since I really enjoy cooking.

To Dos:
- Go to gym and calculate pre-weights of machines and equipment.
- Create tastey meals
- Try out some recipies
- Possibly create a slightly modified 24 hour schedule (in re: to wake-up and bed times)
- Go to GNC and see if they have any decent shakers
- Go to Office Depot and get some book tabs/labels
- Go to gym and determine starting weights
- Start easing myself onto my new healthier food, no supplements (4-5 meals a day)
- Go buy some Ziplock containers
- Get firmiliar with the software program
- Get a seperate Britta water filter/pitcher to keep daily water amount in (and keep cold)
- Get better blender and food scale if Santa didn't bring them for X-mas
- Take before photo
- Start loading creatine
- Buy groceries and cook meals for week one

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Crap. Wish I'd have checked into this thread sooner. I'm a skinny fokk too. 6ft/155-160lbs with a quite light bone structure. I'll never get huge, not possible, but I would like to add some 'weight' though - to my upper body especially. Damn do I hate the gym though. I prefer to get my exercise and fitness from specific activities. When I was rock climbing 4 times a week I probably put on close to 10 lbs up top. I wish I could do that again, but it's not gonna happen...

I'll be following your results Bonk. good luck. :monkey: