Quantcast

Hey Carolina & Virginia Monkeys!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ha! Thankfully, since the municipal water systems have back up power generation, there isn't much chance we will be without water, unless storm jesus really has a temper tantrum.
Well, after how Cheeto Jesus treated people last time, Tormenta Jesus might just be reigning vengeance of his peoples.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
it's only a disaster when white people are affected
believe it or not all caring white liberal brother in the north....there are alot of different shades of brown people in north/south carolina.....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Lizard Totally human overlord checking in. The people around me have lost their minds. People are buying pallets of water. PALLETS. What are you going to do with 800 bottles of water?

Milk vanishes instantly. Of course it does. Who wouldn't want rapidly-spoiling dairy products during a power outage?

I have beer, chips, and Jenn is baking a cake. The dog doesn't like pooping in the rain, so I suspect she'll be sealed up for a few days (WTF did she do during monsoon season in Thailand?). We'll survive.

Jenn keeps saying my birthday is going to be ruined, but as far as I can tell, I'm going to be sitting inside drinking and eating chocolate cake and watching the storm of the decade. We're on the second floor so flooding isn't too much of a concern, my Kindle is charged. That really doesn't sound too bad.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Lizard Totally human overlord checking in. The people around me have lost their minds. People are buying pallets of water. PALLETS. What are you going to do with 800 bottles of water?

I have beer, chips, and Jenn is baking a cake. The dog doesn't like pooping in the rain, so I suspect she'll be sealed up for a few days (WTF did she do during monsoon season in Thailand?). We'll survive.

Jenn keeps saying my birthday is going to be ruined, but as far as I can tell, I'm going to be sitting inside drinking and eating chocolate cake and watching the storm of the decade. We're on the second floor so flooding isn't too much of a concern. That really doesn't sound too bad.
how far inland are you?

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
BORK

Milk vanishes instantly. Of course it does. Who wouldn't want rapidly-spoiling dairy products during a power outage?

Jenn keeps saying my birthday is going to be ruined, but as far as I can tell, I'm going to be sitting inside drinking and eating chocolate cake and watching the storm of the decade. We're on the second floor so flooding isn't too much of a concern, my Kindle is charged. That really doesn't sound too bad.
going to have to see if my doggo will adapt to monsoon pooping as well

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Charge a bunch of those USB batteries.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Oh hai,

I'm somewhat bleary-eyed and exhausted today - drove down yesterday morning and got our boat out of the water and brought my parents back here to the middle of NC. We got back about midnight and got unloaded. They live in Oriental - and the storm surge is projected to be about 9-13 ft. there. Irene surged to 9.5 ft. and we ended up with 4ft. of water in the house and lost everything inside. This may end up even worse....the house made it through Hazel in 1954, so we know it's strong.

Here's a shot I took from the water looking back at the strip of land their place sits on...just on the other side is eight miles wide of Neuse river - all of that was under water from a Cat 1 storm - can you imagine what a Cat 4 is going to do? Yipes. Theirs is the little white cinderblock house on the left with the red roof. We'll be heading back down Sunday or Monday to access the damage....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Oh hai,

I'm somewhat bleary-eyed and exhausted today - drove down yesterday morning and got our boat out of the water and brought my parents back here to the middle of NC. We got back about midnight and got unloaded. They live in Oriental - and the storm surge is projected to be about 9-13 ft. there. Irene surged to 9.5 ft. and we ended up with 4ft. of water in the house and lost everything inside. This may end up even worse....the house made it through Hazel in 1954, so we know it's strong.

Here's a shot I took from the water looking back at the strip of land their place sits on...just on the other side is eight miles wide of Neuse river - all of that was under water from a Cat 1 storm - can you imagine what a Cat 4 is going to do? Yipes. Theirs is the little white cinderblock house on the left with the red roof. We'll be heading back down Sunday or Monday to access the damage....

Please don't die. We like you. Well we think we do. We never are sure of anything around here. Just don't die please....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh hai,

Hope your folks got everything out of the house they want to keep.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Hope your folks got everything out of the house they want to keep.
Yeah....it's just stuff. We have the pictures and things like quilts that gradma knitted, safely back here. We've been through this before and lost everything. It's pretty liberating after you get over the shock. Then you realize how spartan you can get by with and still be perfectly happy. It's a great place to fish, drink beer and laugh...the couches beds and all that stuff doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. They are here....we think we're safe, but this storm is so big and awful, that you can die anywhere in this state this week.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Given the likelihood of power outages etc, requesting now the hurricane monkeys check in somehow with other monkeys so we know everyone is safe. A fair amount of us are fb friends, so that might be a good option. Aside from rm of course.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
@Greyhound got caught in west bound traffic on biz 40 at 4:00pm. Looks like a ton of people are heading inland.

Hotels are jacking up their rates.

Gas is getting scarce.

Batteries and flashlights are getting snatched up.

People are getting panicky.

Got my parents all set up. And with any luck I'm going to spend the day in the woods tomorrow since it's not supposed to rain. Might even be a little sunny. Hopefully that will hold me until the apocalypse is over.