Quantcast

Hey Gary, you Jocky Toff!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Looks fun!

Jealous as I have so much terrain and vert, yet it's all natural and no "real" jumps. But it's all good in the hood!

Isn't that Scotty from the early Dirt Shed Show days? "No people in the bike vault!" :D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
There's way better riding than the places in Scott's guide videos.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Isn't that Scotty from the early Dirt Shed Show days? "No people in the bike vault!" :D
Scott was an Elite DH racer. Did a few WC seasons. His Dad (RIP) was also a DH racer from the beginnings of Scottish DH.
Yes. He did a stint on GMBN. but left to pursue his own (less controlling) career in mtb media.
Really nice lad. And great rider.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Scotland took a bit of a storm battering a few weeks back and there are fallen trees blocking a lot of our best trails over a fairly wide area.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@rideit if you're serious I can point you in the direction of any kind of trails you might like.
You do like mud, ruts n wet roots, eh?
The only real thing lacking from Scottish mtb is proper big jump lines. But even then there's still the odd tasty jump if you know where.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I like it all. Certainly ridden in my fair share of mud and muck. Muckiest riding ever was in the Lake District…thinking about a ‘23 trip somewhere new, riding wise. What is the driest month? August?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
There's no such thing as driest month. Occasionally mid winter in certain areas it gets just cold enough that everything freezes and as it warms up you're riding dry dusty trails.
Ground material and tree/forest type also makes a difference.
Nowadays (most) Scottish trail builders have a pretty good grasp in building in drainage

Geographically the East is always massively drier than the West.

Where are you?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
July/Aug are least cold. But again occasionally we'll get a warm fortnight randomly in April or October.
Summer is thought of as May to September really

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
For shear number and quality of Trails the tweed valley cannot be ignored. Its in the south east of the country in the border between Scotland and England.
I'm 40mins from the area. And happy to show you round for a few days if you come over.
I'll update you with other areas another night. I'm on a promise now.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I have to start working from our Scotland based office and did a 5 week trip starting early October. Lived out of my van and took bike and surfboards with me. No luck with waves but the riding was nuts. Stopped at Glentress on the way up and back home. For the weekends I followed Cathro’s PB video starting with Pitfichie then Scolty hill etc. really wanted to ride Heartbreak Ridge but it was pretty windy most weekends and I got really hooked on Scolty. My first ride at Pitfichie was an real eye opener and intro to Scottish trails. Rocks rocks more rocks, and when no rocks then roots. Initially I was ‘this sucks balls’ but on ride 3 I adjusted and couldn’t get enough of it. All trails I rode were more natural and as mentioned less drops and jumps than typical. Trails run more straight down than on contour. Basically just different to what I have locally down South. Most rides the conditions were wet but so much more grip than my local trails. Will be back up working there from Jan/Feb but really looking fwd to Spring, when it warms up a little and the days get longer.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
We can ride anywhere we want so long as we're not dicks about it. So that means any Monroe (mtn) is fair game and plenty of them have good descents. The ascents however can be a bit hike a bike on many. Places like cairngorm are barron so all trails are pretty much natural or old walkers path at best.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
As if by magic. This popped up on my Youtube recommendations
Just to be clear. Would NOT recommend ;)

views might be stunning but there's more fun riding in the woods behind my house

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
As if by magic. This popped up on my Youtube recommendations
Just to be clear. Would NOT recommend ;)

views might be stunning but there's more fun riding in the woods behind my house
Wow,that was beautiful and HardCore. We biker’s know it is much more than the video show’s. If ever I get the chance,drink is on me Gary.
Avy