Quantcast

Hey.......I'm a daddy!!!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Yeppers.......Justine woke me up at 2:45 am on Monday with a gentle tap on the shoulder followed by the line: "Honey......I think my water just broke."

There are many things you hear during the course of your life that stick with you for the rest of it---those words will rank in the top five.

I hop up out of bed realizing that it was showtime. I grab the hospital bag, get the carseat strapped in, a change of clothes, make a call or two to arrange for someone to pick up the dog, get my shift at work covered, and out the door we went.

We arrived at the hospital at 3:30 am and settled in. For the next 12 hours, it was mild contractions and easy sailing. Around 3:30 pm, the contractions got really strong---but she said she was fine and needed no epidural pain meds. She and I stayed locked into focus with each other as the contractions came and went for the next 45 minutes. The baby's heart rate dropped quite suddenly--the suspected culprit was the umbillical cord that was pretending to be a necktie. The doctors acted quickly and with 2 good pushes, out he came.

My wife was absolutely amazing throughout the whole process. During even the worst of contractions, she never even made a peep. I was beginning to think we were at a Scientology birth or something. I almost half-expected to turn around and see Tom Cruise jumping up and down on the couch cheering us on!! Much to the amazement of many of the nurses, Justine got up and walked down the hall on her own to the recovery room about 30 minutes after the birth. That's one tough gal.

As many of you who have children already know, there's no getting any rest in a hospital. Seemed like ever 20 minutes or so for the next two days, someone was poking or prodding at the little fella. We would just get him settled down, and then "Hello, I'm nurse so-and-so....I'll be completely ruining any sleep you may have started for some inane procedure. Have a nice night." :disgust1:

Anyways........after being awake for over 56 straight hours, we finally got our guy home for some chill-time and to begin our whole routine of raising the little fella. Things are going great--he's really calm and beginning to open his eyes a little. So cute.

So.....here's a quick shot I took yesterday with the camera phone---I'll have better shots to add to the "Little Monkey's" thread later on this weekend when I can get the time.

Colin Anderson Belangia

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
congrats! Just think, in about six months you'll never have to mow the lawn yourself again!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Awesome!! Congrats!! :thumb:

There are few things in my life that bring me more joy than my children. It's a blessing, savor every moment! :)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Wow,

that is fantastic news ! Congrats!

and yes it is quite annoying how the nurses are there every 10 minutes:disgust1:

glad to hear it all went well!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
There are many things you hear during the course of your life that stick with you for the rest of it---those words will rank in the top five.
CONGRATULATIONS!

My wife's exact words were, "Um, Sweetie. We have leakage".

Of course, this was at 12:30am and we were still in the process of remodeling our kitchen. I'd done a bit of plumbing work before I went to bed, so my reaction was, "In the kitchen?" to which she replied, "No, ME!"

Yeah, that'll stick with me forever.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
congrats, greyhound.

isn't it one of the most amazing, emotional moments you've ever experienced?

best wishes to your new son, your wife, and yourself.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Cool.

When I went with my friend to the hospital to have her first, she excused me from the room at the moment of truth.

While I had seen it before, she didn't want me to see it like that.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
CONGRATULATIONS!

My wife's exact words were, "Um, Sweetie. We have leakage".

Of course, this was at 12:30am and we were still in the process of remodeling our kitchen. I'd done a bit of plumbing work before I went to bed, so my reaction was, "In the kitchen?" to which she replied, "No, ME!"

Yeah, that'll stick with me forever.
Ahahhhhahhhaaaa!!!! That's awesome......"In the kitchen?" Oh man, I'm totally with you there........:clapping:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Well done!
(When the water broke on our second, my wife told me at 2:30 a.m or so, my response was "Well call the Doc and see what he says" and I rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. Ever seen a woman in labor throw shoes across the room?)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
That baby is a keeper, I wouldn't throw him back if I were you.

Congrats and more.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Ah, yes, the joys of parenthood-- the sleepless nights, the first steps, the first words, the first road trips, letting your young'en control the pace of the walk to check the mail, becoming a kid again yourself. Major CONGRATS to you and the missus.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Congratulations to all of you. It's been almost a year since I was in Justine's position (believe me, I am still amazed at the whole process myself) and I can safely say it's been the greatest year of my life! Best wishes to your family!!!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Cool.

When I went with my friend to the hospital to have her first, she excused me from the room at the moment of truth.

While I had seen it before, she didn't want me to see it like that.
If you don't need to see it like that, believe me, its really not something you want to see. :shocked: :eek:

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Congratulations! He's a cute little guy!

My wife and I will be making that same trip to the hospital in about four months...I'm scared and excited all at once!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Awesome man!!

Congrats!
Man, not to steal your thunder but this has made me uber excited to have mine now.