Quantcast

Hey I'm stupid and I need help

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
well duh...

I've got the bug to switch out my voodoo canzo 29er frame and get a steel HT. I'm unsatisfied with the performance of the rear shock and the long stays have me itching for something more nimble.

I've found two rad deals on two rad bikes. One is a brand new frame that would cost me about $350 to trade out my old frame for. I'd switch over all of my old parts, which should be easy. Problem is, I'm dissatisfied with my REBA, though it works today.

The other is a used bike that's well built but rigid. I could buy that and swap some parts over. It would probably cost me less money in the end, but it would be used. The build would be better though.

So what would you do? A little more cash on a brand new frame but a used build (all XT), or a fully used bike with hope hubs, king HS, and a smattering of other parts?

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
I say go for the new frame (its more exciting : ) and new oil/setup for reba (like mine best about 105- and 110 to 115+, weight 210lbs)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hmmm that might help. I followed the guidelines which is about 140 for 200lbs. This is a reba race from 2007/8 though, at 100mm. Lockout works when it feels like it. The hope rear hub is enticing though...

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
hmmm that might help. I followed the guidelines which is about 140 for 200lbs. This is a reba race from 2007/8 though, at 100mm. Lockout works when it feels like it. The hope rear hub is enticing though...
Mine is Reba sl 2009, even when I was at 230 lbs, the guidelines seemed way too high (i.e., 50mm travel, terrible feel, worse than rigid). Regarding JonKranked's reply, I pressed button so I should have expected the stupid :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Define "used". Just 'cause some puts the parts on a bike, doesn't mean it gets ridden/used much. Honestly, I lean toward the used and replace the Reba if you aren't happy with it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My parts are in good shape, but I'm uncertain of the used bike parts. I think it would cost me about $300-400 to swap frames, depending on what i bought for a post and derailleur/headset. The biggest difference, I suppose, is the hubs, which are nice Hopes instead of my "kind of loose" XTs.

If it helps, one is a new Ritchey P29, the other is a used Niner SIR.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
My parts are in good shape, but I'm uncertain of the used bike parts. I think it would cost me about $300-400 to swap frames, depending on what i bought for a post and derailleur/headset. The biggest difference, I suppose, is the hubs, which are nice Hopes instead of my "kind of loose" XTs.

If it helps, one is a new Ritchey P29, the other is a used Niner SIR.
Sq-Earl & I have been looking at the Niners...they're really nice. Any chance you'll get to see/ride the Niner before you buy?

I think I still vote Niner by the way :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
no ride time, it'd be a buy before you try sort of deal, which I'm honestly OK with. Honestly, I wasn't sure which way you were leaning before...but we'll see, I need to make sure I have the cash first.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Niners are sweet bikes!! I demo'd a Jet 9 and an Air 9 last year at DirtFest. I really wanted to buy one, but at the time, their smallest frame was a Small (they now make XS EMDs), and even that was still too big for me. The top tube was about an inch too long. If I had the $$, I'd scoop up an XS EMD in a heartbeat. So, I vote for the Niner.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
i had that reba. in 29er. get rid of it. it's a p.o.s. IMHO. found it to be like a wet noodle. i had it on the niner MCR. i really liked the niner MCR frame for an all-day x/c hardtail (but i'm back to 26" wheels full time). the frame (which is the same frame essentially as the SIR) was a great ride. had that "warm" steel feel.

but whatever you end up doing, pick the option that gets that reba race out of use.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
no ride time, it'd be a buy before you try sort of deal, which I'm honestly OK with. Honestly, I wasn't sure which way you were leaning before...but we'll see, I need to make sure I have the cash first.
If you end up not going with it, shoot me a PM with the details on the Niner. Sq-Earl's in the market and Father's Day is coming :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hmm, well it was on MTBR but now it's gone...so ???

I guess that makes it a little bit easier, but I have a feller interested in my frame alone so I might just sell it and pick up an Inbred frame for cheap!