Quantcast

Hey it's Friday! I'm not working.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is the make/model I got my lady. I think with a slick paint job and gears that don't suck she will be inclined to ride around the hood with me and the pooch.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
So we figured out our son has been stealing cash from my wife's wallet today. She's been missing cash of the past week or so. This morning I was looking for his rain pants and saw his pencil case in his school bag. I figured I'd have a peek inside. $80 cash. .
Fuck I dont even have $10 on me rn

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
so... car question now. brought my car in because of an oil leak. garage says it's the oil pressure switch. $28. can't complain.

I also pointed out to him that I was hearing a grinding sound from the brakes. he said all 4 rotors are deeply rusted, and the pads need replacing. the pads issue doesn't surprise me, because I've had the car 5 years, and I can't remember replacing them before. The rear rotors have already been replaced once because of rust (and come to think of it, I think the pads may have been changed at the same time). Those rotors were OEM.

So my question is, do I go with OEM parts for the brakes, or aftermarket? This is for a 2013 Mazda CX-5...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
He's seven. I have a few years to work on it yet...
we know a couple who have two sons, the older is about this age and still has to wear diapers to bed because he still wets sometimes. the younger is around 5, and doesn't have the bed wetting problem, but they still make him wear diapers to bed so his older brother doesn't feel bad :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
speaking of kids, this morning for the first time my son got out of bed and went downstairs on his own. i did turn his light on for him, but i have it on a remote switch.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hi folks
after the boy came down with a random fever on tuesday, knocking out my afternoon and my wife's entire Wednesday, my daughter woke up with pinkeye today, knocking out my morning and my wife's afternoon. Hooray for parenting.

The good news is that my daughter and I went out for a bike ride, and the thoroughly enjoyed going offroad and down the hill beside our house. She might be my kid afterall.

Finally, I caught the mountain biking bug again after a year with a wrist injury and an infant (ie no riding). Put a stupid low bid on a frame I've always wanted, even though I already have a full-dentite bicycle. Oh well, we'll see if I get it...then I can swap over the parts, take a huge loss on the low ride time frame I have, and pick out all the weird parts I want to hang on it. Joy!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what else should I blame? 8 hour workdays and an hour long commute? zero help from grandparents? being fat and lazy? I'm up for all of it. Besides, he can't ride.
i feel ya man. on all this. but my commute is only ~35 minutes. i still managed to squeeze in some short rides. i'm lucky i have 2 sets of very very mediocre trails within 10 minutes of my house or i'd be doing no riding at all.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
so... car question now. brought my car in because of an oil leak. garage says it's the oil pressure switch. $28. can't complain.

I also pointed out to him that I was hearing a grinding sound from the brakes. he said all 4 rotors are deeply rusted, and the pads need replacing. the pads issue doesn't surprise me, because I've had the car 5 years, and I can't remember replacing them before. The rear rotors have already been replaced once because of rust (and come to think of it, I think the pads may have been changed at the same time). Those rotors were OEM.

So my question is, do I go with OEM parts for the brakes, or aftermarket? This is for a 2013 Mazda CX-5...
That's interesting. Rotors should and do rust, as they are uncoated steel. Do you mean they stay rusted, even after some hard stops?

How often do you drive the car?

For OEM vs aftermarket; compare the price. I'd go with OEM equivalent, which will save you some cash and be just as good (probably even made by the same company).

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I have a 3 month old at home and to my own surprise actually rode on two consecutive days last weekend. My commute is 20 miles one way and i started commuting by bike this week, which does add 45 minutes for each trip but is an excellent way to get some exercise while the alternative is driving the most trafficked stretch of Autobahn in the country every day.

I'm also awaiting delivery on a new bike that i hope to actually ride someday.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have a 3 month old at home and to my own surprise actually rode on two consecutive days last weekend. My commute is 20 miles one way and i started commuting by bike this week, which does add 45 minutes for each trip but is an excellent way to get some exercise while the alternative is driving the most trafficked stretch of Autobahn in the country every day.

I'm also awaiting delivery on a new bike that i hope to actually ride someday.
before the accident i was averaging 2-3 rides per month (weather permitting). i go when my son is napping (early afternoon) so my wife is only watching the baby. i'm also lucky i have a climbing gym 10 minutes from me, and they are open late enough i can go climb once the kids are in bed.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i feel ya man. on all this. but my commute is only ~35 minutes. i still managed to squeeze in some short rides. i'm lucky i have 2 sets of very very mediocre trails within 10 minutes of my house or i'd be doing no riding at all.
I think it'll get better this year. I have some trails 20m from my house, but most of the good ones are 40m away which is a problem. Plus, little dude wasn't napping consistently, so no 1.5hr break, and big one doesn't nap at all...so not much time for fucking around.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
before the accident i was averaging 2-3 rides per month (weather permitting). i go when my son is napping (early afternoon) so my wife is only watching the baby. i'm also lucky i have a climbing gym 10 minutes from me, and they are open late enough i can go climb once the kids are in bed.
I can't wait to get a trailer for the kid that i intend to hook up to the gravel bike, but i'm told i need to wait until my daughter is six months old until she can properly sit.

I have no illusions about riding a bunch this year, but somehow i managed to get approval on two short biking holidays on proper terrain, so the new bike should see some action. I'm loving commuting by bike so far and am already contemplating eventually getting an S-Pedelec (fast e-bike). I borrowed a regular e-bike this week, but it's not of much use as the engine cuts out at 27,5kph, so i hardly used any battery as the engine wasn't even engaged when cruising at a decent pace.

Even if your trails are average, i envy you for having some trails near your home. For every decent trail, i need to drive about 20 minutes, so gravel biking with the kid in tow is my best bet for the summer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think it'll get better this year. I have some trails 20m from my house, but most of the good ones are 40m away which is a problem. Plus, little dude wasn't napping consistently, so no 1.5hr break, and big one doesn't nap at all...so not much time for fucking around.
daycare does wonders for getting them on a consistent nap schedule. at least ours does.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I can't wait to get a trailer for the kid that i intend to hook up to the gravel bike, but i'm told i need to wait until my daughter is six months old until she can properly sit.
it's the sitting, and also partially helmet size. for the first few months i didn't know my son needed a helmet in the trailer. whoops. i only take him on rail trails so yea.

Even if your trails are average, i envy you for having some trails near your home. For every decent trail, i need to drive about 20 minutes, so gravel biking with the kid in tow is my best bet for the summer.
if they weren't as close as they are, i wouldn't bother. the "good" trails are all 30+ minutes away. and even then they're still mediocre. trail riding in general in southeast PA is mediocre at best.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
my kid hated the trails in the trailer, to bumpy and dusty. ive got a 2 and 5 year old. ive ridden once a week the last 4 years.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That's interesting. Rotors should and do rust, as they are uncoated steel. Do you mean they stay rusted, even after some hard stops?

How often do you drive the car?

For OEM vs aftermarket; compare the price. I'd go with OEM equivalent, which will save you some cash and be just as good (probably even made by the same company).
thanks for the info. We drive the car every day, but only once a day to go get the kids from school, which is about 4 km round-trip. That will likely change in the summer, when the kids will be able to ride their bikes to and from school. Yeah, the rotors get chronically rusty and pitted almost.
except for nights where the kids slept exceptionally badly and zombie-me decided to skip ride-night, I still managed to get out 2x/week to ride with my buddies after my kids we born. I rode like shit because I was chronically tired, but it's slowly getting better (even though my 5 year-old is still not sleeping through the night). The 7 year old is fine now (except for his quarterly bed-wetting incidents).

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Pee test done. Then the Ops manager on the Ambulance side of the company had a breakdown over a home life matter and quit with no notice. I am now the interim Ops Mgr until we hire a replacement. Trading emails with the head of Alameda County EMS. He likes my credentials. I do not want the job and my boss understands this. I will only do it until he hires someone who wants to deal with the daily headache. I am way too old and jaded to want to work that hard.

Leaving to go fishing in a few hours

FTS

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Soundslike the OEM ones don't last for fuckall, what pay a premium for them.

After 11 years and 150k I still have the original pads and rotors on my GTI. Plenty of life left on them too.

After 11 years and 150k I still have the original pads and rotors on my GTI. Plenty of life left on them too.
I had brakes on the van done, including rotor replacement - what I was most concerned about regarding rust was obstruction of ventilation channels between the two sides of the rotors... the joys of road salt.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Ski Monkies!
Will a 181 ski be too long for me in a BC setup if I ski a 167 at the resort?
Never skied on planks that long so I dont know :confused:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Well it is a Mazda, they come pre-rusted from the factory. :busted: I say this jokingly as a previous Mazda 3 owner...

But on the brakes defense, your car I assume was a manual and spent most of its life in the south? The rotors on my cars during the winter are completely rusted over after just sitting for one evening, if its been raining/snowing and the salt trucks have been doing their thing. We're talking rust levels that will hold the car still when the e-brake is released. My WRX was super bad with this, had to give it some gas in gear to break the pads free.

If their car only gets driven around the block, without much of any hard braking (like on the freeway), I'm guessing the rust doesn't actually ever get wiped away.

Anyways, lets hear more about that fast blue lunchbox you have :D Will it go slideways?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
...That moment when you hit enter in a command prompt running something on a live file system......and the window just goes blank with a blinking cursor.

Waiting for this to popup..

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ski Monkies!
Will a 181 ski be too long for me in a BC setup if I ski a 167 at the resort?
Never skied on planks that long so I dont know :confused:
You can try my 177s (demo bindings) some time--Mary Jane is open until May 6, iirc, and A-Basin until June 3 if not later. My 190s have fixed bindings, though. :D

Also note that powdery backcountry skis may have a shorter effective edge than their stated length due to rocker.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I would DEFINITELY demo a pair that length first. That's a big jump.
full setup, used on CL with boots my size & frame bindings for $100...really the only reason I am considering it is I would love to wring a little little more out of my season on the mellow stuff near home.