Quantcast

Hey it's Friday! I'm not working.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
You can try my 177s (demo bindings) some time--Mary Jane is open until May 6, iirc, and A-Basin until June 3 if not later. My 190s have fixed bindings, though. :D

Also note that powdery backcountry skis may have a shorter effective edge than their stated length due to rocker.
hmmm good point. im not looking to shred the gnar...yet. just wanting to eeeek some more out of my season & continue get in better shape.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well it is a Mazda, they come pre-rusted from the factory. :busted: I say this jokingly as a previous Mazda 3 owner...

But on the brakes defense, your car I assume was a manual and spent most of its life in the south? The rotors on my cars during the winter are completely rusted over after just sitting for one evening, if its been raining/snowing and the salt trucks have been doing their thing. We're talking rust levels that will hold the car still when the e-brake is released. My WRX was super bad with this, had to give it some gas in gear to break the pads free.

If their car only gets driven around the block, without much of any hard braking (like on the freeway), I'm guessing the rust doesn't actually ever get wiped away.

Anyways, lets hear more about that fast blue lunchbox you have :D Will it go slideways?

The GTI survived a winter in Cleveland and two winters commuting over a mountain pass that saw just as much salt as a Northern state. I think being a performance oriented car it has brakes that were much larger in relation to the rest of car than a Mazda SUV would. But I also am on the original clutch so perhaps I am just easy on it. Well at least on the brakes, I tend not to slow down for corners, any money I have saved in clutches and brakes has already been well spent on tires, I burn through them quickly.

I am still braking in the Blue Box so I have restrained myself from really whipping on it. However it shows a lot of promise. Even when short shifting under half throttle it will push you back in the seat. Incredibly strong and smooth power delivery. It will just claw it's way through corners and hills where I just spun my wheels in the GTI even when just putting around. More importantly the ride is the perfect combination of sportiness and comfort, in comfort mode. Things get a bit more spirited with the suspension in the more aggressive modes.

To sum it up, the AARGH is pretty fucking awesome.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The GTI survived a winter in Cleveland and two winters commuting over a mountain pass that saw just as much salt as a Northern state. I think being a performance oriented car it has brakes that were much larger in relation to the rest of car than a Mazda SUV would. But I also am on the original clutch so perhaps I am just easy on it. Well at least on the brakes, I tend not to slow down for corners, any money I have saved in clutches and brakes has already been well spent on tires, I burn through them quickly.

I am still braking in the Blue Box so I have restrained myself from really whipping on it. However it shows a lot of promise. Even when short shifting under half throttle it will push you back in the seat. Incredibly strong and smooth power delivery. It will just claw it's way through corners and hills where I just spun my wheels in the GTI even when just putting around. More importantly the ride is the perfect combination of sportiness and comfort, in comfort mode. Things get a bit more spirited with the suspension in the more aggressive modes.

That's great. I've always really liked the AARGH and it has a pretty awesome interior compared to its competitors.

I don't know much about how 4motion works. Does it function in mostly fwd until it starts to sense some slip? Can you tell when it adjusts the torque around?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Great, now you made me want one. :disgust:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's great. I've always really liked the AARGH and it has a pretty awesome interior compared to its competitors.

I don't know much about how 4motion works. Does it function in mostly fwd until it starts to sense some slip? Can you tell when it adjusts the torque around?

The interior is frickin nice. I think it is even better than similar Audis and Beemers. Yeah, the 4-motion is a FWD car until the computer thinks you need more traction, either from sensing slip or it just knows because you stomped on it. The big advantage is FWD like fuel mileage. So far I have not noticed the difference between when it is on or off. The only time I pushed it hard enough to push the limits of traction was on a steep tight uphill switch back. The front wheels were clearly the limiting factor but the brains of the car did some fake torque vectoring and the whole thing turned an absurdly tight radius. Not the right car if you have dreams of drifting, but it is the right car for taking tight corners very quickly.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
6DA6FA64-718C-474A-8812-A629DF31C3D0.jpeg
fuckit friday win. chill solo ride in the hills. 23 miles, 4300’ verts and descents, which included lots of rough, steep, rugged goodness. and the occasional hike-a-bike, as seen above. i continue to be impressed with the 2650bromad. thing is composed as hell at speed. just need to find a little more sensitivity at lower speeds and it’ll be dialed. creek beers after. then grilling and moar beers.

Last edited: