Quantcast

hey . . . look over there . . . it's LEOGANG, mutha fuggers!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Damn straight. 2 weeks of WC DH in a row? BRING IT.

Expecting Claudio's preview on Thursday, I guess . . . and @jackalope's sometime before Sunday if he can drag his lazy ass over to the keyboard and dazzle us with his wit . . .

and plz, oh @FSM, make it rain so the debates about snowflakes in the mud can continue!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Not Schladming.:disgust:
This. Leo suposedly got better as a bike park since I was there last time but I really want Schlad to come back. It's still the best downhill track out there. The non bike park parts of Leo are nice but the tuck in and hope for good wind parts are useless.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
This. Leo suposedly got better as a bike park since I was there last time but I really want Schlad to come back. It's still the best downhill track out there. The non bike park parts of Leo are nice but the tuck in and hope for good wind parts are useless.
Actually they have great terrain on the left site of the gondola. Would be great to see a racetrack on that site. It's steep and rooty in the woods.
We always enjoyed riding the upper part (Hangman trail?!) back then, which was an awesome single track. But I wasn't there in the last couple of years for riding, so I don't know how it looks now.

Watching the race trackside is totally awesome in Leogang, though. Bars beside the track with public viewing screens really is awesome.

For everyone missing Schladming, watch Deathgrip. That segment is beyond cool.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Damn straight. 2 weeks of WC DH in a row? BRING IT.

Expecting Claudio's preview on Thursday, I guess . . . and @jackalope's sometime before Sunday if he can drag his lazy ass over to the keyboard and dazzle us with his wit . . .

and plz, oh @FSM, make it rain so the debates about snowflakes in the mud can continue!
Might be fun...

Even if not the best track, its always been fun to watch no?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Wouldn't it be lovely if everybody went 29" just for the UCI to troll us all by releasing a race calendar made up of Val di Sole, Vallnord, Schladming, Champery, Lenzerheide and Windham for 2018?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If you don't brake off the big rock face before the climb, you can coast to the top. :brows:

Gotta get back to Bromont ASAP...
or better yet, skip the rockface and launch the whole thing!

yeah, going to Bromont again would be sweet... But the thought of renting a bike, and possibly hurting myself makes me scared. I'd ride Whistler in a heartbeat, but I feel like the potential for damage to your body at Bromont is higher... I'm getting old and responsible. shoot me now. ugh.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
or better yet, skip the rockface and launch the whole thing!

yeah, going to Bromont again would be sweet... But the thought of renting a bike, and possibly hurting myself makes me scared. I'd ride Whistler in a heartbeat, but I feel like the potential for damage to your body at Bromont is higher... I'm getting old and responsible. shoot me now. ugh.
Just ride your trail bike there. You'll go a little slower and probably won't launch some of the big stuff (or maybe you will :busted:), but its still fun and probably not much different than your other rocky trails. I rode my Spitfire there one weekend while I was between DH bikes in college.....it was a handful but fun. Kept up with the guys on DH bikes on a few of the trails.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My favourite trails were always the really rough ones (18, 23, 20, 22). Once you got to know the lines, you could really scare yourself in there. Riding them slower would be lame.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My favourite trails were always the really rough ones (18, 23, 20, 22). Once you got to know the lines, you could really scare yourself in there. Riding them slower would be lame.
big fan of all those trails. was it 22 that's like all rocks? beat the piss out of my bike. I loved it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Kids inbound?
Not so much inbound, as much as "have taken over my life"! when my first was born, I was wearing a cast from having broken my wrist DHing... I didn't ride my DH bike that first year, and only once the second year, so decided to sell it while it still had value (just before 650b DH bikes came out - lucky me). The plan was to get a used DH bike again when the kids were older and I had a bit more time again, but none of my friends DH anymore, so I have no one to go with. Now my best hope is my son gets into it, and we can go together. It'll be another few years yet though...

big fan of all those trails. was it 22 that's like all rocks? beat the piss out of my bike. I loved it.
I think so. it would leave me a shell of a man, reminiscing about how I used to be able to ride those trails. How does the saying go? Better to not have tried and not fail, than to try and then fail....

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Not so much inbound, as much as "have taken over my life"! when my first was born, I was wearing a cast from having broken my wrist DHing... I didn't ride my DH bike that first year, and only once the second year, so decided to sell it while it still had value (just before 650b DH bikes came out - lucky me). The plan was to get a used DH bike again when the kids were older and I had a bit more time again, but none of my friends DH anymore, so I have no one to go with. Now my best hope is my son gets into it, and we can go together. It'll be another few years yet though...
If you have a nice pump track in the Ottawa area, get yourself a nice and light 20" BMX Race bike and go ride with your kids. You can have good riding sessions with your kids while you are collecting "Ride Miles" since you're taking care of the kids during that time! :)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If you have a nice pump track in the Ottawa area, get yourself a nice and light 20" BMX Race bike and go ride with your kids. You can have good riding sessions with your kids while you are collecting "Ride Miles" since you're taking care of the kids during that time! :)
way ahead of you! When an indoor pumptrack/jump park was opened, I acquired a dirtjumper. Unfortunately, the park didn't last the summer and closed it's doors before the first winter. Still, I have the bike.

The local bike club has had a proposal accepted by the city to build a pump track, not too far from our house. Hopefully that happens this summer. I'm even hoping to bring my boys out to help with the dig/build....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think 19 is the rocky one. Though 18/23 is steeper and perhaps a little rockier at the top. Still remember the first time going down it, there is one section while entering the forest that is pretty much like riding straight into a sharks mouth of rock.

1:38 would screw me up every.goddamn.time. :rofl: That whole section before the wooden turn is incredible though...

Woo we've a Bromont thread now. :busted:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah? Well this one time I hit the 2001 Worlds course at Vail. It was tres bien. Or super wonky. Depending on which side of Canada you come from.

:D :rofl:

So we're still in Europe racing bikes, eh?

The bike with the most round wheel will win!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Actually they have great terrain on the left site of the gondola. Would be great to see a racetrack on that site. It's steep and rooty in the woods.
We always enjoyed riding the upper part (Hangman trail?!) back then, which was an awesome single track. But I wasn't there in the last couple of years for riding, so I don't know how it looks now.

Watching the race trackside is totally awesome in Leogang, though. Bars beside the track with public viewing screens really is awesome.

For everyone missing Schladming, watch Deathgrip. That segment is beyond cool.
Personally I hated leogang. While the bikepark surface is good as it almost never gets muddy the jumps were made by an idiot and if you went to slow for one you could still overshoot the next one without any effort. Someone did not think about the speed you were hitting those when they were built. A friend of mine had a horrible crash because of that there.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Personally I hated leogang. While the bikepark surface is good as it almost never gets muddy the jumps were made by an idiot and if you went to slow for one you could still overshoot the next one without any effort. Someone did not think about the speed you were hitting those when they were built. A friend of mine had a horrible crash because of that there.
Totally right. The jumps were completely retarded there. Two of my friends have nice scars from them. Not too funny having to pick guys up with both arms in a cast. Personally, I am not a good jumper, therefore I never sent the big lips as I found them way too kicky/bucking.

The single trail from the middle station (where the WC start gate is) was totally awesome though.

The jumps seem to be reshaped since then though. Maybe I'll make it there in the fall...

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I think 19 is the rocky one. Though 18/23 is steeper and perhaps a little rockier at the top. Still remember the first time going down it, there is one section while entering the forest that is pretty much like riding straight into a sharks mouth of rock.

1:38 would screw me up every.goddamn.time. :rofl: That whole section before the wooden turn is incredible though...

Woo we've a Bromont thread now. :busted:
I haven't ridden there in about 7 years, and I still remember this trail like the back of my hand. He's got so many bad line choices in this, hahaha. Used to have a seasons pass from 03 till about 07, went about 10 times a year for the weekend. Those were the days.

I gotta build up something that can stand up in there. Anyone saying 'just go slower on your trail bike' really don't understand this place, and the affect it has on your bike. it destroys bikes like nowhere else I've ever been not just because of the rough trails, but also the dirt is fine sand that gets into everything and destroys it. And because it rains often, that dirt WILL get in everything.