Quantcast

hey . . . look over there . . . it's LEOGANG, mutha fuggers!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
So,

Lourdes was a shit show with the rain.

Ft Bill managed to turn go from high speed, brutality to a cyclecross course.

Which means Leogang will turn into a rutted flat corner fest of outrageously fun racing. It can't be three sub standard races on the trot.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I want to see Gwin win so Wyn can say "hat trick" again.

My predictions:

1. Gwin
2. Gutierrez
3. Minnaar

1. Atherton
2. Hannah
3. Seagrave

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
Where'd all the rocks go?
I seem to remember someone, maybe Gwin, whining about the man-made rock gardens last year - mostly because of the type of rock they used. They were ok in the dry but slippier than a freshly lubed banana skin the moment they got even slightly moist.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I seem to remember someone, maybe Gwin, whining about the man-made rock gardens last year - mostly because of the type of rock they used. They were ok in the dry but slippier than a freshly lubed banana skin the moment they got even slightly moist.
Wasn't Maribor also a man made rockgarden? Those rocks gripped in the wet no problems so what are they using here? Marble?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Wasn't Maribor also a man made rockgarden? Those rocks gripped in the wet no problems so what are they using here? Marble?
I'd say something chalky. In Italy are a few places (well not only a few) where the trails are from chalky stones and mostly clay. Slippery is an understament I tell you.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'd say something chalky. In Italy are a few places (well not only a few) where the trails are from chalky stones and mostly clay. Slippery is an understament I tell you.
I never rode bikes in Itally. Somehow it's always hard to find specific info outside of San Remo. Still nothing is worse than volcanic soil when it's wet. Last year I visited Bali and it was basically unrideable once it got wet. I like riding in the wet and I was cocky when the locals told me it's hard and then I realized the whole place turned into a slip and slide once it got wet. It was still fun though

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I never rode bikes in Itally. Somehow it's always hard to find specific info outside of San Remo. Still nothing is worse than volcanic soil when it's wet. Last year I visited Bali and it was basically unrideable once it got wet. I like riding in the wet and I was cocky when the locals told me it's hard and then I realized the whole place turned into a slip and slide once it got wet. It was still fun though
Well if you want to ride natural trails, I'd recommend the bikeparks Paganella. The track in San Martino di Castrozza and Livigno as a whole are insanely fun aswell.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Well if you want to ride natural trails, I'd recommend the bikeparks Paganella. The track in San Martino di Castrozza and Livigno as a whole are insanely fun aswell.
Isn't Livigno only a few trails? Are most of those trails DH bike friendly or is there some pedaling? I only get an enduro bikes for testing from time to time for the silly site I sometimes write for but I'm too poor to afford a 4th bike.

I like oldschool dh tracks. I have been riding too little dh and too much park since now only people that I can ride with are DJ peeps. DH crew either stopped riding or went pro and it's no fun riding with people who can ride a 5 min world cup track without stopping while riding at decent speed ;)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Nice to see Gutierrez on form. About 5 years ago he was full of promise with some solid results. The few years that followed didn't match up. He seems back and stronger than ever now. Happy for him!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
For some reason I forgot Hill went and put the crown back on his mountain in 2009, made me really happy, thanks for posting.

Hats off to Blenki for his run there in 2008 though, just such a clean awesome run, won qualifying, beat the best guy. None of this "I won because the real winner crashed". Funnily enough exact (?!) same scenario in 2009 with the roles reversed and Sam Hill back on top, just awesome racing.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/46292/
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/311536/

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The fact that he did it on dj tires is impressive.
That piece of information makes it all the more disappointing he didn't hit any of the kickers or go for the last jump though. Send Soderstrom down it and it might actually be entertaining.
Not really sure what Atwill's trying to prove TBH. Plenty folk have raced Hardtails down Fort William over the years. One guy used to race the entire Scottish DH series on a fully rigid bike. I raced a hardtail DH for 2 full seasons myself.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That piece of information makes it all the more disappointing he didn't hit any of the kickers or go for the last jump though. Send Soderstrom down it and it might actually be entertaining.
Not really sure what Atwill's trying to prove TBH. Plenty folk have raced Hardtails down Fort William over the years. One guy used to race the entire Scottish DH series on a fully rigid bike. I raced a hardtail DH for 2 full seasons myself.
Wait you have a problem with people complaining about a track and you are suggesting we bring out Soderstrom?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Cue Sanjay pics ...

Sorry, you shouldn't be able to wax a DH run on a hardtail within minutes of qualifying times. WC racing should be the pinnacle of the sport, challenging the very best.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sorry, you shouldn't be able to wax a DH run on a hardtail within minutes of qualifying times.
Just so you're aware... You're talking Bollocks.

http://www.hardtailnation.co.uk/2010/07/fort-william-dh-enduro-2010-hell-race/

4th place at that ^^ race was local expert rider Jesse Wigman with 13 runs. on an old specialized P-1 hardtail.
if you can't be bothered reading the link
Same track as the WC race.
Start at the bottom and ride up to the top of the Motorway (to split the pack as much as anything). Then most laps in 6 hours wins (even without getting from the start/finish to gondola station and loading up the gondola takes 20mins

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/scotland/article/sc-mtb-hope-endurance-downhill-fort-william

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm wondering if Minnaar has a shot at the overall this year? Bike he's comfortable on, doing well points- wise (qualified second today)... That would be cool. Couldn't stand the guy when he was battling Sam Hill, but his staying power and seemingly more laid back attitude from 10yrs ago have won me over.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm wondering if Minnaar has a shot at the overall this year? Bike he's comfortable on, doing well points- wise (qualified second today)... That would be cool. Couldn't stand the guy when he was battling Sam Hill, but his staying power and seemingly more laid back attitude from 10yrs ago have won me over.
I really like Minnaar, probably mi second all-time favorite after Hill, and my preferred top-contender today. Also, Marcelo is really going fine this season, and my South American heart wants him to do better.

But being honest, I can only see Gwin taking the victory tomorrow. If he can get his mind together at the same level he was last year, he'll be a tough one to beat.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Remy Thirion went OTB over the last jump, resulting in a broken collarbone, a few broken rips and two broken vertebrae...
Qualifying was on hold afterwards as he had to be heli lifted.
Get well soon Remy!